Chapter 4

It Wasn't Me

-----VERNON'S POV-----

Sometimes I like to wander the city streets alone. Sometimes I like to sell drugs to the locals for a high price. Sometimes I like to listen to Wonwoo’s suggestions. Sometimes. Never do I like to turn myself in. I mean, technically I am just answering their questions, but what if I say something that makes me look guilty? Prison isn’t a friendly place. I might as well be a fetus in there.

    “Vernon, focus on me. Stop staring at the light.” The woman said as she flipped through a large case of, what i presume to be, my files. “Wow, you’re a handful.”

    “Where’s the guy I usually talk to? The guy with the accent.” I tried regaining my vision. All I could see was the aftermath of staring into a lightbulb.

    “Your buddy, Dokyeom, is taking to him. But you shouldn't be concerned about his situation, you should be concerned with what is in front of you.” She took out a pen and began writing. Her features were beginning to become visible. Her blond hair seemed fake, just like her smile. I can see right through her.

    “Am I supposed to be afraid of you? You look innocent but I can tell you’ve been in the same situation that I’m in.” I leaned back in my chair.

    She kicked my seat, causing me to fall. “Fine. You get to see THAT side of me. TELL ME HOW YOU KILLED S.COUPS!”

    Her sudden personality change caught me off guard. I’ve never dealt with a cop like this. Do I answer her honestly or do I lie my way out of the situation? I fixed my chair and sat down respectfully.

    “Look, I can sell you some pretty cheap dope. If you.. You know, let me go.”

    “Attempting to bribe an officer is a violation of the law! I could arrest you right now. But I won't. I’ll forgive you. All you have to do is answer my questions and I will let you go.” She collected herself and smiled.

    “Is that all I have to do?” I squinted at her with unsurety.

    “That’s right. Tell me; What were you doing on the night of S.coups murder?”

 

-----FLASHBACK-----

 

The sky was a funny shade of lavender. It probably meant a storm was coming. I mean, why else would the sky turn 50 shades of purple? That wasn’t going to stop my run though.

I made my usual spots without any issues. After about an hour, I spotted DK watching me from a distance. “DK, stop following me! I’m fine!”

    “SHHHH! WHAT IF SOMEONE HEARS THAT YOU’RE SELLING DRUGS?!” DK shouted from the other side of the street.

    “THAT WOULD BE A SHAME, WOULDN’T IT?” I hollered back. The people walking by gave us strange looks, nothing I wasn’t used to seeing. I met up with DK in an alleyway that wasn’t too far from the direction I needed to head in.

    “Why are you following me? As great as it is to have company, I prefer to keep you out of my drama.”

    “I can’t stay out of your drama, I feel like it’s my fault that you're in any drama to begin with.” Dk flicked my snapback, almost having it fall off.

    “How would it be your fault? I choose this life, you didn’t.”

    “If I had been more stern when Hoshi brought those cigarettes to my house.. Then maybe you wouldn’t be like this.” DK’s eyes dropped to the floor.

    “Are you saying you don’t like the way I am?” I took a step back.

    “Vernon, of course not. I love you for who you are. I’m just saying--”

    “No. I know exactly what you’re saying!” I ran out of the alleyway and fled into the crowd of people. While walking, I looked at one of the local restaurant's mirrors.

    My appearance isn’t that bad. I mean, my body isn’t the greatest of bodies. That award goes to DK. My clothes are decent, considering they were bought by DK. Ugh! Why do I keep thinking of DK, he obviously hates me. I took my snapback off and stared at it.

    “You’re the only piece of clothing that I actually care about.”

    The whiteness could be seen from far away. Considering the rest of my outfit might as well be dirt.

    “So this is how DK is able to find me so quickly.”

    I gave one final glance to my snapback and gave it away to some stranger passing by. Now, there was no way I’d be tracked down by him.

    While trying to get away from DK, I lost the path I was following. Normally, I have a set route on where I stop, but now I have to retrace my steps.

    Let’s see, I started off at that one creepy house.. Then I walked through that crowd of druggies.. That leaves… My newest client! I took out a slip of paper that he left for me back at the base.

 

Find the red fire escape and my house is the third one from the bottom

-Anon

 

    Well that explains everything. I’ll just find the red fire escape. I put the piece of paper into my pocket and looked up at the buildings ahead of me. Every building had a fire escape, some buildings had more than one. Some of them were silver, some of them were rusted and falling apart. Luckily, none of them were red.

    It hadn’t been long but I was getting tired from walking around so much. It was getting pretty late, too. I couldn’t quit though, I already got paid in advance. The last thing I need is more trouble.

    Finally, I found the building with a red fire escape. I made my way to the third floor from the bottom, just as requested, and slid the drugs underneath the door. Out of curiousity, I knocked on the door. The door opened and S.coups, from Noble Swords, stood there with a pocketknife at the ready.

    “Woah, dude. I didn’t come to fight. I was just curious as to who my customer was.” I threw my hands in the air.

    “Why don’t you come in; have a cup of coffee.” he lowered the dangerous weapon and gestured for me to come in.

    His appartment was nice, you know, for a gang leader. I guess that would make sense though, that must be why he was elected. I wouldn’t know, our gang was built on friendship. The other gangs are probably built on who is the toughest.

    “I made a fresh pot of coffee earlier, if you’d like some.”

    “I didn’t walk in because you invited me, of course I want some coffee!” I sat down on his couch and looked out at the fire escape. He had a pretty nice view of the area. I think I can almost see our base from here. S.coups brought me a cup of coffee, made with care; Which was surprising, since we are from different gangs.

    “I like you, Vernon. And not in THAT way. I like you because you can give me what I need for a cheap price.” S.coups sat next to me and smiled.

    “Yah, dude. Of course, I do run a pretty fun business.” I drank the coffee as quickly as I could. “Why am I here?”

    “I dont know, you tell me. You were the one who knocked on the door.” his eyes never left mine.

    “Well.. then. I guess I will be going now.” I stood up and made my way for the door but he slammed it before I could leave.

    “Just one thing: Tell that Wonwoo guy to leave Jeonghan alone. I don’t want Jeonghan to have any affairs outside of the gang and I really don't want someone liking their way into the gang. You understand me?” his hand went down to his pocket, where im guessing his pocketknife was.

    “Y-yes.” I stuttered.

    “Yes, what?”

    “Yes, sir?”

    “Good boy. Now get out of here.” S.coups opened the door and I took the opportunity to get out. On the way out, I caught a glimpse of some medium cut black hair making its way to the building.

    I should have brought DK with me, that was a dangerous situation.. Well kind of. But now I need his emotional support. Gosh, why did I have to screw things up with him.

    It was still pretty dark outside, but I didnt want to see the gang. I wanted to talk to DK. Instead of going back to base, I went to our old base, DK’s basement. I had hoped he would be there.. But he wasnt. After eating some leftover jajangmyeon, I went to sleep on his couch, waiting for him to come home.