Chapter 3

It Wasn't Me

------DK'S POV-----

“Is there anything you gon’ tell me, boy?” The cop had a very thick accent and his smoking was really bothering me. Not to mention the fact that he was just inches away from my face. “Did you kill Coups boy?”

“I have said it before. I did not.”

“Then what happened on that night? Remember I'm a cop, I know when yer lyin’. Don’ even try to lie.”

“I have nothing to lie about.”

“Then go ahead.”

 

-----FLASHBACK-----

 

    Monitoring Vernon and the gang is literally my daily routine.

Honestly, I can't fight very well, and I prefer not to do anything illegal.

Then why am even in a gang, you're asking?

Hoshi, Vernon, Wonwoo, and I originally were not a gang. We were really close friends, yes, almost like brothers.

Until one day, Hoshi came to our usual hangout area, which at the time was my basement. He brought with him two packs of cigarettes he stole from his uncle and told us to try them. That guy has always been very enthusiastic about things, but I never would have guessed he’d even consider smoking.

I decided to sit back and not pick up a single one, and the boys, knowing how I was, did not force me to.

Then, day after day, those three came back with more cigarette packs.

Vernon eventually returned with bags of drugs.

Do I miss our gang before?

Sort of. But it is exciting to be a gang, I have to admit. We run away from cops maybe two or three times per week, and when we do get caught, the worst punishment we've ever received was two days in jail. But for Vernon, two to three weeks.

Anyways, I knew Vernon was going to make some drug deals(?), and I couldn't help but follow him.

The streetlights were dim, and groups of people were exchanging what looked to be like bags of weed.

Where did he go? This guy walks fast!

I started to panic as I couldn't find Vernon.

I honestly don’t remember how long it took until I spotted Vernon’s white snapback going into a dark alley. His head hesitantly turned left and right like he was afraid. But why?

I wasn’t sure whether or not to call out to him or keep quiet. So I stood there weighing my options until a familiar, yet scary, voice shouted. “DK, stop following me! I’m fine!”

I snapped out of it and realized Vernon noticed me watching him. Frantically, I screamed, “SHHHH! WHAT IF SOMEONE HEARS THAT YOU’RE SELLING DRUGS?!”

    “THAT WOULD BE A SHAME, WOULDN’T IT?” Deep gazes from passing pedestrians watched us intently.

    Vernon’s eyes darkened when I explained to him my reason of following in the first place. Somehow, he seemed….offended, saying that I didn’t like him the way he was, which was partially false. As much as I love the half-Korean, I was still discontent with who we were at the moment, being a gang and whatnot.

    Yet, before I had a chance to clarify any further, he took off immediately and left me alone on the sidewalk.

    Did I say something I shouldn’t have? I wondered..

    It’s rare to see Vernon upset, unless it’s towards other gangs, but he’s never like this around us. He’s always been emotionally and mentally strong...or at least, he acts so.

    But today was different.

    I’ve known Vernon a little longer than Hoshi and Wonwoo, and not once have I ever seen him without his tough mask on. It occurred to me that I may not know him as well as I thought. He must’ve had his weak moments without anyone knowing.

    Maybe this whole incident was one of those moments.

    I heaved a sigh and kicked an innocent rock out on the vacant street.

    Whatever. He’ll return to normal later, I hope.

    My stomach growled softly under my surprisingly-still-white T-shirt. I looked at the time on my phone. 12:28. A little late for dinner, but I guess it won’t hurt.

    I opened my wallet to be sure I had enough money for at least four packs of ramyeon at the local convenience store, and luckily, I did. The store was actually quite far from where I was, but I didn’t mind the walk. It would give me some time to myself. I was pretty much with the gang 24/7-- either making sure they won’t get in trouble, or joining them in causing trouble. There was hardly anytime for myself.

    I made a turn onto the big street, listening to cars honking and speeding by. I wandered past a closed fashion shop with a couple sitting in front, making out. Then came a small parking lot, and a group of teenagers spat at me. I recognized them as being one of the newly-formed gangs. Amateurs.

    Finally, I’ve reached my destination, the convenience store. As I opened the door, the bell on top rung cheerfully.

    “Welcome,” an old, tired  man grumbled behind the counter. He was intensively watching what one would call “” and he didn’t even try to hide it.

    I strolled towards the back of the place, picked out the usual packs of ramyeon, and placed it on the counter for the man to check out. After paying, I grabbed the plastic bag containing our dinner and headed back to our territory.

    “What are you doing?! Why are you taking me?! I’m innocent!” Near a broken down apartment was what seemed to be policemen dragging a tall, shouting figure into a car. Silently, I creeped behind one of the surrounding buildings to get a closer look.

    Mingyu?

    I was positive it was Mingyu being dragged into the police car. Fierce Beasts was mainly known for violence, so it was no surprise that he got arrested. But there was no one around for him to hurt. They must’ve ran away.

After the car drove out, I shrugged and continued my journey back to the base.

“Hoshi! Wonwoo! I got us dinner!”

Total silence. Guess they went somewhere.

Since no one was at the base, I decided to  head home with the hope that everyone is okay.

Once I was in my own little basement, the lights were on for some reason.

Did someone break in?

It couldn’t be that. The door was locked and everything looked the same as when I left this morning.

“Oh you’re home? Sorry for not telling you that I’m staying here for the night.”

“Vernon? I thought you were out drug dealing.” Apparently not because he was lying on my new leather couch with his eyes closed.

“I was. But I was around the neighborhood so I decided to stop by your house, It is a lot more comfortable here than at the base, honestly. But you weren’t home yet, and I know where you keep the spare key, so I just let myself in. Hope you don’t mind.”

“Uhh, no, not at all.” I went and opened the refrigerator to see if there was anything I could cook for him. It looked like he already found himself dinner.

“Sorry I ate the leftover jajangmyeon, if that was what you were looking for,” Vernon called out from the living room.

“No problem, it’s fine.”

There was an awkward silence that followed.

“DK?”

“Yeah, Vernon?”

“You don’t hate me for being a drug dealer, do you?”

I walked into the living and sat next to the resting Vernon, who was playing with his fingers like a kid.

“No, of course not. It’s just…” I avoided his gaze. “I hate myself for putting you guys in this mess.”

    Vernon sat up and looked at me. “You didn’t do anything, DK. We put ourselves in this mess.”

    “Exactly, I didn’t do anything! I could’ve stopped you guys, but no, I didn’t. And I’m sorry.”

    “Don’t be sorry. I guess it was just meant to be. But the good thing is you stayed and have been watching over us. So thanks.”

    He smiled comfortingly and gave me a half-hug before saying our good nights.