Chapter 1

It Wasn't Me

-----Wonwoo's POV-----

On a typical day, I wouldn’t be sitting in an interrogation room, and I most definitely wouldn’t be the one being interrogated. I’d be at home, relaxing with friends, minding my own business. I swear, this is all Mingyu’s fault. I told him I didn’t like him and now look where I’m sitting. Gosh, you tell a guy you don’t want his love and the next thing you know: you’re being interrogated for someone’s murder.

“You mean to tell me that you aint do thing? And that I am supposed to believe yah?” The cop said.

“Well, this is an interrogation. You ask questions and I answer them. It’s not my fault if you don’t like my answer.” I rolled my eyes and stared at the door. I wish Jeonghan would come to my rescue. I know it won’t happen, but it’s nice to dream.

“Kid, eyes on me. You aint leavin’ till I get some answers.” The cop snapped and looked at the clipboard. “It says here that a witness saw you at the scene. Why don’t ya tell me a little about that?”

“Who wasn’t at the crime scene? I mean for god’s sake, that ‘witness’ might as well be in questioning as well. They sure seem to know about as much as I do.” Our eyes locked onto each other as we tried to be the tougher guy. A grin grew on the cop’s face.

“That’s okay. Your friend, Hoshi, told us all we needed to know anyways.” He put his clipboard down and cuffed his mouth with a fist.

Sweat ran down my face as my nerves went into overdrive. This cop knew how to get information out of people. Should I believe what he says about Hoshi confessing? No, Hoshi would never tell. I wiped a drop of sweat off my forehead and took a deep breath. “Sorry, sometimes my Asthma has a mind of its own.”

“Let’s keep the lying to a minimum. I know enough about you to know that you ain’t got Asthma. It’s nowhere in your records.” He put a finger up to his ear and nodded his head. “We sure are stupid, kid. Don’t you know yah rights? You’re entitled a lawyer for things like this. Anything that might’ve been said before your lawyer got here can’t be used. Good thing you didn’t say anything important.”

The doorknob turned and a lawyer walked in with a briefcase. His suit looked like it was purchased at the nearest hand-me-down shop. His comb-over wasn’t helping his appearance. On the brightside, he looked confident.

“DON’T SAY ANYTHING UNTIL I TELL YOU TO!” He shouted and pointed to me with his free hand. Great, he’s insane. Vernon probably sold him drugs and this was the outcome. I’m screwed. “Officer, I need to speak to my client, can you give us a minute.”

“I’ll be here all night. Take as long as you need, you’ll need it.” The cop laughed hysterically and walked out.

“You’re my lawyer? Does that mean I’ve already lost?” I started at the one-way window in despair.

“Shut up, brat. DK sent me, but I can always fulfill his other favors.” He stood up and walked to the door, almost turning the knob.

“Wait! If DK sent you, does that mean you can get me out of here?” My voice cracked.

“Listen here, brat. I’m not even a lawyer but that cop doesn’t know that. Still think I can’t get you out? By the way, the name’s Jay.” He said as though I would remember it after this was all over. “Now, did you kill him?”

“Oh God, you’re just as bad as the cop. Of course I didn’t. I just got caught at the scene and fled.” I confessed.

“Great, then we are ready! AYE YO COPPA! WE’RE READY!” Jay shouted and took a seat next to me. Using my peripherals, I watched him shuffle through his briefcase. By the looks of it, this wasn’t going to be a fun interrogation session. At least not for the cop.

The doorknob turned and a different cop walked in. Her hair was golden and fell to her shoulders. By first glance, you’d think she was a high school student. Her heels made her about the same height as my shoulder. There’s no way the department was serious about switching cops on me like this. The other guy could at least get me sweating, she’s just going to make me question her existence. She took a seat and took a second to read the case.

“Wonwoo, is it?” Her glare cut through my soul, leaving me vulnerable. “It says here that you were seen at the crime scene. Why don’t you elaborate for me?”

“Ask specific questions only.” Jay stuck out his hand so I wouldn’t say anything.

“Very well: Why were you at the crime scene?” She the tip of her pencil and gripped it firmly. “Speak quickly, I have to question someone else.”

Jay gave me a look and I understood right away. If she is in a rush, all I have to do is take my time so she doesn’t get to hear the entire story. I knew she wouldn’t be the right person for the job. “Start from the beginning, Wonwoo. Speak carefully.” Jay approved.

 

-----FLASHBACK-----

 

    Jeonghan is so pretty. Everytime I see him, butterflies erupt in my stomach. Sadly, we aren't apart of the same gang. In fact, we are so far apart that one time I accidently crossed into their territory and was beaten up. The pain was so intense that I wasn’t able to go to school for a week. School is the only place where it’s a neutral zone for all of us. Noble Swords can’t hurt Fierce Beasts, Fierce Beasts can’t hurt Toxic Scoundrels, Toxic Scoundrels can’t hurt-- You get the point: it’s a safe zone. A hand rested on my shoulder, I stopped looking through my binoculars and turned to see who it was.

    “Don’t you think that’s going a little too far? Besides, he isn’t even apart of Toxic Scoundrels. Hoshi would never approve of it.” DK smiled and sat next to me. Our base is an abandoned parking garage that was set for demolition, but it never happened.

“Hoshi’s my best friend. He has to understand. Love is love.” I said quickly and refocused my attention into my binoculars. Jeonghan was talking with his gang. Despite the blurry windows on their dirty warehouse, Jeonghan’s hair had an angelic glow to it. I could see his smile perfectly.

“Wonwoo, c’mon we have to go to school.” DK picked me up and carried me away as I threw a fit. “You’re such a brat!”

Hooray! School’s a safe zone. Whoopty friggin’ do. It doesn’t change the fact that I’m the only one from Toxic Scoundrels in my homeroom. As “safe” as it is, it’s not safe! I don’t even have homeroom with Jeonghan. No, I get to sit next to Minghao, Jun, Woozi and Dino. I guess Minghao and Jun aren’t so bad, most of the time they sit there and makeout. But when they aren’t glued to each other’s faces, they are spitting out insults. The main problem is with Woozi and Dino. Despite their height and the fact that they look innocent, they are incredibly rude.

 

    Throughout the school day, I spend most of my time staring out the window or reading a book. The only time I enjoy is lunch time. I get to stare at Jeonghan, you know; when he or his crew isn’t paying attention. Not only that, I get to hang out with my family: Vernon, Hoshi and DK. Most people see us as a gang, which we are, don’t misunderstand, but I see us as a family that has to protect the things we love. Sure, Vernon loves selling drugs, Hoshi is always on drugs, DK always protects us from drug charges and I always keep quiet, but we’re still a family.

    We aren’t as bad as Noble Swords or Fierce Beasts. Noble Swords is known for being highly intelligent, though I don’t see it. Joshua is just pretty, Jeonghan is also just pretty, and so is Minghao, and Jun. I am not sure what happened to S.Coups. With all that pretty, comes a price. That entire group is full of es. It’s honestly disgusting.

    I didn’t forget about Fierce Beasts, they’re even worse! They’re known for their violence. I thought Noble Swords was strong, Fierce Beasts is so much stronger. A couple of weeks ago, Vernon was on a drug run and was held up at Fierce Beasts's territory. We thought they killed him! Dino and Seungkwan may be small, but they don't mess around. Woozi is their leader, such a diva. Then there’s Mingyu: I don’t know what’s up with him, I just know I don’t like him.

    The bell rang and I waited for the rest of us to meet up before leaving. Once we were all together, we made our way back to base. On the way, we made evil eyes at Fierce Beasts but didn’t make anything of it. Back at base, Hoshi started a fire pit to keep us warm. Ever since the gang life choose me, I haven’t been living at home; my home is the base. Vernon went on his hourly drug run and DK was keeping an eye on him. It was just me and Hoshi.

    “I still don’t understand why you don’t go home, you have one.” He threw a blanket at me.

    “What do you mean? I am home.” I stared out into the slowly transforming night sky.

    “I mean with your family, the ones who raised you before all of this.” Hoshi crawled under the blanket with me and pointed at the stars. “That’s my family.”

    I looked at his gleaming eyes. “You’re my family. Toxic Scoundrels is my family.”

    “And what happens when you decide to make a family with Jeonghan?” Hoshi’s eye grew dull and he stared through me. How did he find out? Did DK perhaps rat me out? “You think I don’t pay attention? It’s not hard to see right through you, Wonwoo. I support you loving whoever you’d like; so long as it isn’t from a rival gang.”

    This is what DK warned me of. I could never have seen this coming. Hoshi has always been supportive. Even when he told me he doesn’t support my decision, he still supports my decision! “Why can’t I love him?”

    “He hurt you, Wonwoo! Don’t you remember?” Hoshi stood up and walked over to the blazing fire in a pit.

    “It wasn’t his fault. It was mine, I walked onto their side.” I stood up, wrapping the blanket around me like a cape.

    “You know what, fine. You love whoever you want. Just don’t tell me about it because I don’t care anymore.” Hoshi hissed and walked down a level, leaving me alone. I stared into the fire and watched as it burnt down. By this time, there was no more natural lighting. The stars and moon were covered with an incoming storm. (1863)