Chapter 2

It Wasn't Me

-----Wonwoo's POV-----

    The rain started off slow, falling in sprinkles that became droplets. I couldn’t stay on the top floor of the parking garage or I’d drown in my sleep. I had two options; sleep on the second floor and risk claustrophobia or go out for some smokes. Vernon and DK must have been on a late run, they still hadn’t returned. I assumed Hoshi was still upset, so he probably wouldn’t come back tonight.

    I decided on the second option, a smoke. Before leaving the base, I left the blanket in a safe place so I could use it another day. I hadn’t realized how cold it was; it’s times like this when I wish I had the comfort of Jeonghan, without the beating. Our base isn’t far from a convenience store, Vernon’s friend works there so he gives us discounts so long as nobody else is in the store.

    “Wonwoo.” A voice called from the dark alley.

    “Hoshi hyung? Is that you?” I walked into the darkness. A tall man stood with his back against the wall. This wasn’t Hoshi. I took out my pocketknife and stood in attacking position.

    “Don’t even try it.” A voice came from behind. “Drop it.”

    Damn. Where was Hoshi when you needed him? “What do you want?” I dropped my knife onto the ground.

    “Yeah, Mingyu Hyung. Why are we here? It’s cold and we have school tomorrow.” Dino’s voice registered in my head. Mingyu was the guy who called me over here, I presume.

    “Wonwoo, I was wondering if you’d like to go on a date sometime.” Mingyu walked in front of me. His body heat could be felt through the cold rain.

    “WHAT? IS THAT WHY YOU DRAGGED ME DOWN HERE? I’M LEAVING.” Dino said in disgust and walked away, giving me the opportunity to pick up my knife and push Mingyu up against the wall.

    “I hate Fierce Beasts, why would I ever date someone from there.” I spit on the ground, still holding the knife close to his face.

    Mingyu placed the palm of his hand onto the blade of my knife and it dug into his skin. I didn’t move it, afraid he would make a move against me. After about a minute of him carving his own skin, he moved his hand and smiled.

    “I have to go now, I have to meet up with somebody.” Using the hand he carved his skin with, he pushed me back against the other wall. Fierce Beasts is known for their strength, I just didn’t realize they all had it. Mingyu fled the scene before I could see where he had run off to. I put my knife away and made my way to the convenience store.

    “Heeeey, Wonwoo. The usual? Hold up. Why do you have a bloody heart stain on your chest? Are you still obsessing over Jeonghan?” The cashier rapidly spoke. I looked down to my chest and saw what he was referring to. At the time, I didn’t put the pieces together. Mingyu had carved a heart onto the palm of his hand. Weirdo.

    “Uh.. Yeah, I’m insane. I get a discount right?” I smiled. The cashier nudged his head to the side and I looked over to the fountain drinks. Seungkwan stood there, trying out every flavor. “Can I just wait for him to finish?” I whispered and the cashier nodded.

    Seungkwan took his sweet time. He must have slurped down at least 5 gallons of diabetes before leaving. I purchased my cigarettes and took an alternate route to get home. I figured: hey, they know my smoke route, gotta change it now. I don’t mind it at all, it gives me time to think about life.

    “Wonwoo, what are you doing out this late?” Hoshi came out of nowhere and scared me half to death.

    “GOD, Hoshi! You scared me! This is the second time someone has greeted me like that tonight.” I shook my head.

    “What do you mean?” Hoshi grabbed my hand and made eye contact with me. “Did someone hurt you?”

    “No, I just had a run in with… Fierce Beasts. But nothing happened! Well.. except for--” The sound of a gunshot cut me off. Hoshi and I gave each other a look that we´d normally give when a situation like this occurred: it meant we should check it out. We headed in the direction of the gunshot as quickly as we could.

    As we arrived, the first thing i noticed was the fire escape collapsed on the ground. Despite the rain still falling, dust floated around the scene. Shockingly, we heard the gunshot and not the fire escape fall; our running plus the sound of the rain must have muffled the sound of a grand, metal, staircase imploding itself. From a distance, a man stood in the slowly fading dust cloud. He noticed our presence and fled the scene before we could make out who it was.

“Who do you think that was?” Hoshi stopped to take a breath.

    “Maybe Vernon’s drug deal went wrong. Really wrong.” I said kiddingly. Hoshi didn't think it was funny.

    “Woah, is that blood coming out of the metal?” Hoshi squatted near the ground and poked the blood with his finger.

    “Don’t taste it! What if it has AIDS?” I wiped his hand off onto my already bloodied shirt.

    “I wasn’t going to, WonDumb-. C’mon, help me move this heaping pile of metal.” Hoshi went to the other side of the giant metal monstrosity and we slowly began to lift it. In the process, my shirt got caught on a iron pole sticking out and it ripped. On the brightside: no more bloody heart.

    After moving the contraption, a body was revealed.

It was the body of S.coups.

It looked like the cause of death was “crushed” or maybe “fell from a high place”. Before we could come up with a conclusion to as how died, a siren was heard in the distance.

    “We gotta go, Wonwoo!” Hoshi began to run the way the man from earlier ran. I ran after him and we fled back to base.

    Silence engulfed the abandoned parking garage. That night, insomnia struck Toxic Scoundrels. Vernon and DK hadn’t returned that night. Worst of all, we had school in the morning.

 

-----FLASHBACK END-----

 

    “I think I’ve heard enough.” The blond haired woman spoke as she placed my files into a briefcase. “That’s all I have time for.”

    “I didn’t even get to the good part.” I smiled in hopes of aggravating her.

    “Your story revealed more than what I asked. Now I have new suspects. Thank you, Wonwoo. You are free to go.” She winked at me and left the interrogation room.

I glanced over at Jay and saw that I messed up. His hands covered his face in despair and his breathing pattern was distraught. After a minute, he looked over to me with an angered expression.

“Do you know what you just did? Do you know who you just called into questioning?” Jay hollered and took out a pocketknife, leveling it near my face.

“What? You told me to talk! I didn’t rat anyone out!” I kicked the knife out of his hands.

“DK and Vernon. The last part of your story, you said they didn’t come home that night. You also said you saw a man at the scene! GREAT! DK CALLS ME TO SAVE YOU AND NOW I AM GOING TO NEED TO SAVE HIM AND VERNON! You had better fix this.” Jay left the interrogation room leaving me and the pocketknife alone.

Did I really rat them out? How could I have? I didn’t even finish the story! I looked at the pocketknife and waited for a reaction.

“Why couldn’t it have been me instead of S.coups?” I sighed and placed my head on the table. The door opened slowly.

“Wonwoo, what did you tell them?” Hoshi tackled me to the floor in a hugging manner. “Apparently I said too much. What about you?”

“I did the same, something about ratting out Vernon and DK. But that’s what my lawyer said. I don’t know if it’s true.”

“You had a lawyer? Hmm.. Why didn’t I think of that? Hoshi looked at me and smiled. “Let’s get out here!” He dragged me out of the police station faster than I could comprehend what was going on. We went back to our base where Vernon and DK were waiting for us.

Our greeting was short but enjoyable. It wasn’t the first time we’d been at a police station. It just happens to be the first time we’d been suspected of murder. Not only that, but it’s usually Vernon returning from the police station with DK. I told the group everything that happened and their faces dropped. Vernon looked more worried than DK.

“Did a drug deal go wrong, Vernon?” Hoshi laughed.

Vernon didn’t laugh. He stared at the ground without saying a word.

“Hey, man. We’re here for you. Just tell us what happened.” Hoshi pat him on the back.

“I didn’t… It wasn’t that. I talked to.. I shouldn’t say anything.” Vernon began to walk away.

“Well you are going to have to tell the cops soon, they’re coming for you. So tell us so we can match our stories.” I stopped him.

Vernon told his story first. His story was shocking but it wasn’t anything that would get him more than a week in juvy. DK’s story was similar in punishment level, so that was promising. Instead of waiting for the police to come and collect them, we walked them to the police station.

 

QUESTION:

Who do you think is the murder? Despite us being only 2 chapters in, lol.