The dilemma

We meet again

 

Lhian

I put the knife closer to my left pulse, preparing to cut horizontally.

“I think everything will be much better if I do this…”

Another tear fell from my eye. I was about to do it – to hurt myself, when a familiar voice woke me up.

“Lhian! Stop it!”

Cindy entered the room and quickly took the knife from me and threw it away.

“Are you out of your mind? Why are you doing this?” as she shook me.

I didn’t respond to her. I didn’t want to… I just couldn’t anymore.

Cindy

I had been trying to call Lhian since last night but I heard nothing from her. I had a very bad dream about her so I decided to go back to Seoul. After having the bad dream, I decided to go back because I really wanted to see her. I hope she’s doing fine. I’ve never been this worried about her.

On my way to the flower shop, an unexpected call came in – it was from Kevin.

“Yoboseyo!”

“Hey, Cindy?”

“Yes Kevin it’s me. What’s up?”

“Oh well. Nothing really, I hope I didn’t disturb you.”

“No, you didn’t. Is there something I can help you with?”

“Not really. I just want to ask if how Lhian is doing right now.”

“Huh?” What does he mean? “Ahm, I’m sorry Kevin, but I just came back from a trip. What do you mean?”

“Oh, so you didn’t know?”

“No, I haven’t heard anything from her since last night.”

“I see, well I’m just really worried about her. She called me last night and she was drunk.”

“Drunk? But why?”

“That’s actually the same question I was about to ask you. Are you meeting up with her today?”

“Yes. I’m actually on my way now to her shop.”

“Alright. Well, Cindy I hope you’ll keep me posted if how she is. I’m just really worried.”

“Okay Kevin. I’ll let you know. Thanks for calling.”

She was drunk? Lhian has a very low tolerance when it comes to alcohol and she knows it. Not unless she really has a big problem. Now, I’m getting more worried.

I easily reached the shop and when I entered, So-yi and Hyemi greeted me.

“Annyeonghaseyo Cindy-ssi!”

“Annyeonghaseyo! Is Lhian here?”

“Yes. But she looks different today.” So-yi said.

“What do you mean different?”

“She doesn’t have this sweet smile on her face and she didn’t even greet us back.” Hyemi added.

I don’t really feel good about this.

I went straight on her office and when I opened the door, my eyes widened. I saw Lhian holding a knife and putting it to her left pulse. Omo! She’s going to kill herself!

I ran quickly towards her and took the knife. I threw it away from us and faced Lhian.

“Are you out of your mind? Why are you doing this?” as I shook her. But she didn’t respond. I was like talking to a dead person -- she wasn’t even looking at me. But I noticed one thing. I noticed the tears that were slowly running on her cheeks. I let go of her and she just knelt down. The moment she reached the floor, she finally broke down and cried.

>>> 

I brought her to the sofa to have a seat. I let her drink a glass of water first to calm down before I asked what really happened.

“Lhian. What’s wrong?” I put my hand on her back as I asked her.

But she didn’t say anything. She just sighed heavily.

“Lhian, please don’t be like this. I’m your best friend. Tell me, what’s wrong?” I begged her this time.

“Cindy… I can’t take this anymore.” She just said. I could see she was trying to hold back her tears.

“Is this about you? About the shop? Or about AJ?”

I could see how she reacted when I mentioned AJ’s name. I knew it. It has something to do with him.

“What happened to AJ? Tell me.”

Lhian

“What happened to AJ? Tell me.”

I knew Cindy would be this worried. If she didn’t make it on time, I could have ended my life. But things were not that easy to explain.

“Karen, AJ’s ex-girlfriend came back. They met last week.”

“What about her?”

I tried to stop myself from crying again so I sighed first.

“She told AJ about something. She came back together with her son… their son.”

“MWO!?” Cindy was really shocked because of what I said.

“Yes. They have a son.” And I broke into tears again.

I felt that Cindy was really shocked so she hugged me so tightly.

“I’m sorry to hear that Lhian. But what did AJ say about this? I mean, he loves you so much right?”

“Yes. But even he doesn’t know what to do. I don’t want to lose him Cindy, I really don’t.”

“Then fight for him!” she said.

“But this isn’t about us anymore, Cindy. There’s a child. He has a son – and that child needs father.”

Now, I understand why I am feeling so confused. It’s because of the child. I didn’t have a father – or maybe I had, but he left us and chose to be with his first family. Yes, I only lived with my mom, and we are only the second family.

Cindy seemed to understand what I was trying to say. She remained quiet for a moment as she thought of my dilemma.

“Cindy, I don’t want that child to have the same experience I had. I know how hard it would be for him -- for them, to live alone without AJ.” I said.

Cindy just gently rubbed my back to stop me from crying. Suddenly, So-yi knocked and entered my office.

“Lhian-ssi, I’m sorry to disturb you. But there’s a lady outside and wants to speak with you.”

“So-yi, can you please ask her to come back, instead?” Cindy interrupted.

“Mianhae Cindy-ssi. I already told the lady but she said it’s about an urgent matter.”

“Cindy, it’s okay. I’ll go ahead and speak with her. Maybe she’s a client.” I just said. I could see how worried Cindy was, but I had to do it for my business.

>>> 

Before I finally came out, I fixed myself. I knew I didn’t look good since I cried a lot but I had to put this smile on my face -- even though it was not that easy.

When we finally came out the office, I greeted this lady who was wearing a simple white dress. As I observed her face, I suddenly got surprised – it was her.

“Karen?”

--------------------------

Author's note:

So there! Cindy saved her life! Sorry for the confusion... Keke! 

HearMeThroughMusic - Oh no need to worry about dear. And Lhian's alive! Yay!

I thought there would be few chapters til the ending but it seems like, there would be MORE. Hmm... 

Keep on reading, commenting and loving the story! ^^~