Guy Best Friend

Next To You (ON HOLD)

    Three more days before my parents fly to Georgetown. And Mi Yeon was still moping.

     I was meeting with Ji Yeon this afternoon to shop. I told her the whole conversation I had with my parents that same night. She was as excited as I was. I couldn't care any less about Mi Yeon's brooding over living with me. They left me in-charge anyway. Hah! The power of being the older sibling.

~~~~~

     I was supposed to meet with Ji Yeon at Erin's Cafe. It is our usual meet-up place. But I don't drink coffee. Honestly, I find coffee stinky. No offense to coffee-drinkers. I only drink their frappe here.

     I took a seat outside, so I can easily see Ji Yeon when she comes.

     "Hey, sissy! Sorry, a bit late." Ji Yeon apologized as she approached me.

     "Nah. I just got here."

     "Yeah. And your frappe is already half-empty," she joked as she took a seat opposite me.

     I chuckled at my flimsy lie. "You got me."

     "Anyway, have you already talked to Sung Jae? I mean, about you staying here. Because the last time I talked to him, he was asking me when you will move to Georgetown."

     "Nah. He's an . Don't mind him."

     Yook Sung Jae. My guy best friend. Well, he was my best friend. He lives just across our house. He's only a year older than me. When I was five, and he was six, he was bullied by some eight year-old kids. He and his family just moved in to Erinville that time. I happened to witness him being cornered by those three kids. As I was still a young, stupid kid who watched Jackie Chan movies more than fairy tale ones, I intruded and punched one kid. That kid was crying. I still feel sorry about him because he actually lost one front tooth, sending the other two kids running away. I helped young Sung Jae stand up; he was shivering in fear. He thanked me and pledged that he will always be there for me, and will protect and take care of me, for as long as he lives.

     When he said that, it actually sounded stupid. But now that I'm already a teenager, whenever I think about his words, my heart melts for he's really doing what he had promised.

     He used to share his lunch and snack with me when we were in primary school. He would let me borrow his new pencil during exams, and he would use the old one, even if it was already barely half the length of the new pencil. He also used to be buddies with In Soo. It felt like I had two knights clad in casual clothes. Since we just live across each other, we often came over to each other's house. He also took me to prom when no one seemed good enough to go out with. When In Soo died, he started acting like a big brother. He became more caring towards me, more protective, and sometimes possessive even. I honestly enjoyed his presence.

     But I've been avoiding him for almost a month now. Everything has changed.

     "Haven't you seen him yet? You just live across each other, how come he doesn't see you?" Ji Yeon asked.

     "He's better off my sight," I dismissed.

     "Actually, I still don't know what happened between you two. You seemed inseparable. I was actually jealous, you know," she said, pouting her lips.

     I rolled my eyes at her. "And you actually look like a duck," I joked.

     She twitched the corner of her lips with her nose, looking offended. "Whatever. So what happened?"

     "He was an A to the S to the S. That's all."

     She actually laughed at that.

     "Hey. I wasn't joking!" I complained.

     "That one was hilarious!" she exclaimed, still laughing. "Care giving further details aside from being an ? I mean, why is he an ?" she asked, now serious.

     I took a deep sigh before talking. "Jae Hyun and I broke up because of him."

     "As in Ahn Jae Hyun, your ex since a month ago?"

     "Yeah," I confirmed.

     "What exactly did Sung Jae do?"

     Again, I took a deep breath before answering. "He kissed me," I confessed, looking down at the frappe in my right hand.

     "Wait. Who kissed you? Jae Hyun or Sung Jae?" she asked foolishly.

     I rolled my eyes at her utter stupidity. "Weren't you asking about Sung Jae?"

     "Yeah. Right. So, Sung Jae kissed you?" she asked again, looking so clueless.

     "Yes!" I exclaimed in irritation. "You don't have to ask that twice!"

     "Okay, girl. Chill," she said, laughing nervously.

     "Ugh."

     "Honestly, Jae Hyun is -er than Sung Jae. And Sung Jae's way hotter!" she said. "And did he ever tell you why he kissed you?"

     "Please stop saying that word," I chastised.

     "What word? Kiss?" she asked innocently.

     "Lee Ji Yeon!" I shouted, gathering the attention of everyone in the outdoor tables of the cafe.

     She laughed her off in return.

     "And what's so funny just now?" I asked, already fuming.

     "I was just trying to figure you out. I honestly think you liked that kiss, but you're just too overwhelmed to admit that," she explained, still laughing. "You should see your face right now. Girl, you look like a tomato!"

     "Ji Yeon-ssi, this is not a joke," I warned her seriously.

     "Then ask yourself." she said immediately. "Be truthful to yourself. 'Oh, pretty Park Mi Ne, what do you feel about Yook Sung Jae?'" she mocked, with a squeaky voice that made me want to punch her in the face. Right here, right now.

     "If you were mimicking my voice just now, then you're a giant bucket of failure," I joked. "You sounded more like yourself," I added.

     "Whatever. So, do you like him?"

     "What? No!" I hastily defended.

     "Honestly, I think you two make a cute couple," she commented.

     "Eww! That's... uous!" I quickly reacted.

     "Speaking of the ravishing devil who kisses girls with boyfriends to break them up, he's approaching our table from behind you," she informed, looking over my shoulder. "And don't look!" she warned.

     "Hey Ji Yeon, Mi Ne," Sung Jae greeted. "Mi Ne-yah, how are you?"

     "I'm fine. Thank you," Ji Yeon instead answered jokingly.

     "Ji Yeon-ah, actually... if you don't mind, can I borrow Mi Ne for a sec?"

     "I object," I said firmly.

     "We need to talk," he insisted.

     "As far as I'm concerned, we don't."

     "Okay, guys. You two need to chill. Loosen up!" Ji Yeon said as she stood up.

     "Hey. Where do you think you're going?" I asked immediately. "We were supposed to go to the mall today!"

     "Honey, I'll wait for you in my car," she said before walking away towards her BMW.

     I just furiously sighed in resignation. This is so gonna be awkward.

     "Look, Mia, I-"

     "Stop calling me with that nickname!" I cut off.

     "Mi Ne-yah," he corrected. "I know you're still in shock about that whole incident."

     "Oh, no. I'm not," I scoffed.

     "Mi Ne-yah, can you at least hear me out?" he pleaded.

     I sighed before responding, before giving in. Maybe he deserves a chance to explain himself. Besides, it's been bothering me, too. I still don't know what his agendum was. Kissing me just like that in front of my boyfriend, err ex-boyfriend, Jae Hyun. "Okay, fine."

     He smiled before he continued. "Wait. Before that, I'm asking you this first. You trust me, right?" he asked, uncertain.

     "Well, yeah?"

     "Can you please be sure? Because I really need you to trust everything I'm going to say right now," he said seriously.

     "Okay?"

     "Park Mi Ne. Please," he begged.

     "Fine. Go on."

     "I did that to save you," Sung Jae told me.

     "Gee, thanks," I said sarcastically. "Wait, what? What are you talking about?"

     "Ahn Jae Hyun was cheating on you. I caught him with Goo Hye Sun kissing inside his car the day before I kissed you," he revealed. "And for the record, I kissed you because I wanted to save you from that ."

     "That jerk!" I breathed out in disbelief.

     I know I can trust Yook Sung Jae because he had stayed by my side almost my entire life, so he must be telling me the truth about Jae Hyun cheating on me.

     But that kiss was definitely uncalled for.

     "And you chose to make me look like the bad one? I can't believe this! You literally made me look like a... b-!"

     "Mi Ne-yah, I'm so sorry. I just wanted to save you from him. Believe me!"

     "And that was the best way you could come up with? Good Lord!" I exclaimed in exasperation.

     "Please calm down, Mi Ne. Believe me, I'm really sorry."

     I was too annoyed to respond. I leaned my elbows on the table and clutched my head, trying to calm my nerves down.

     "Mi Ne-yah, please let me make it up to you," he pleaded.

     I heaved a sigh I didn't know I was suppressing. I raised my head and looked at him. It's been so long since the last time I stared at his face. He's gorgeous. No doubt about that. But right now I can see circles under his eyes. He looks... tired.

     "Please?" he begged again.

     "Alright," I finally said, seeing a smile starting to form in his lips. "You do that again and I swear, I'm gonna skin you alive and roll you over a mat thickly covered with salt," I warned him.

     The smile that was still about to form on his face quickly faded. "You're kidding."

     "Nope." I said, popping the 'p'.

     "Yeah. Whatever. It's not like you have kissable lips anyway," he said casually.

     My mouth fell open. This guy is digging his own grave. "I swear to God, I'm skinning you alive someday," I promised.

     He smiled at me, showcasing his perfect set of teeth. "So we're good?" he asked.

     I extended my arm towards him with an open palm. He smiled again and pulled something out of the paper bag he had laid down beside his chair. He handed me a box of Royce' White Nama Chocolate.

     I smiled contently at him. "Good," I told him.

     Every time we fought back then, he would always give me something as a sort of a compensation after we make up, even if it could be entirely my fault. It became like a sort of a tradition. When we were in primary school, he'd treat me vanilla-flavored ice cream. When we were in middle school, he'd give me a few boxes of Almond-flavored Pepero. Starting high school, he'd give me Royce' Chocolates whenever we get into a petty fight. He knew my favorites - from food to clothing line to athletes to television series.

     "After spending on an over-priced chocolate, all I get is a good?" he joked.

     "If you gave me five boxes, it could have been a great."

     "You wish," he said before he chuckled.

     I definitely missed this. I missed laughing with him, talking to him like this. Everything is back to normal again. And I must admit, I missed him.

     Shortly after, we heard Ji Yeon honking her car's horn. She gave a 'hurry' signal to us.

     "I better get going before she backs out. We're gonna shop," I informed Sung Jae.

     "Few more minutes, please!" he shouted to Ji Yeon.

     I saw her roll her eyes as Sung Jae returned his attention to me.

     "So, how are you doing?"

     "Doing fine, I guess."

     "You know, I'm really glad that we're finally in talking terms before you move out of Erinville."

     "Actually... about that, I'm staying here. With Mi Yeon," I informed him.

     "Is that for real?" he asked in utter surprise.

     I just nodded as an answer.

     "Well, more reason to be glad," he said, smiling from ear to ear.

     "And I'm studying here for college," I added.

     "Really!? Oh, boy. Good news just keep on coming today," he mused.

     His smile was contagious. I couldn't help but also feel delighted about the fact that I'm gonna be staying here with my best friends.

     "So I guess I'm gonna be seeing you more often in the university."

     "Yeah, I guess," I replied, smiling.

     "What degree are you planning to pursue anyway? Do you still want to be a detective?" he asked, laughing.

     I used to dream of becoming a detective. It just looks so cool. I wanted to be like Sherlock Holmes, or Edogawa Conan, or other detectives from all of the series and other TV programs I watch. "Nah. I got accepted in the Engineering department," I told him.

     "Seriously? Hmm.. Why do I get this feeling that you're following me?"

     "The nerve! You wish!" I cringed and stuck my tongue out at him.

     He laughed at the same instant Ji Yeon honked again.

     "Ugh. She's so... horn-y." he said in dead-malice.

     My mouth drooped in shock. "You're insane."

     "Nope. I think you have to go. She's gonna get me killed."

     "Yeah. Because I'm telling her what you just said about her," I promised.

     "What did I say?" he asked in protest.

     "That she's ."

     "I said horn-y!" he corrected. "Don't you get it?"

     "Whatever. Bye!"

     I walked away towards Ji Yeon's car. She was cocking an eyebrow at me as I hopped onto the passenger seat.

     "So you're back to being best friends, huh?"

     "Yeah. I think so."

     Ji Yeon honked her car's horn at Jerick as she pulled out of the cafe's parking space. He waved his hand in return.

     As he was facing the passenger seat side, I saw him mouthed, "See? She's horn-y." And the moment I got his joke, I snorted. I couldn't contain it anymore so I let it out and burst into laughter.

     "What's so funny?" Ji Yeon asked as she glanced at me.

     "He said you're ," I told her as I wiped the tears at the corner of my eyes caused by laughing hard.

     "What!?"

    "But he meant horn-y because you honked your car's horn several times," I told her and laughed again.

     Oh, boy. My abdomen hurts.

     Sung Jae's jokes never failed to make me laugh. Although sometimes, I'm too dense to get it. Occasionally, I'd end up laughing alone or bursting out in class... while our teacher is doing the discussion.

-----