The Mature One

Next To You (ON HOLD)

     "I told you, I don't want to!" I exclaimed to my mother, dropping both of my hands loudly on the wooden dining table with burning eyes darted to her. Kim Mi Nyeo, my mother, is bringing up again the matter about our, actually their, migration to Georgetown.

     "What don't you like about Georgetown? It has everything you need!" my mom answered, waving her hands in the air as if it would be adding to the effectiveness of her persuasion. "And don't you dare raise your voice to me, young lady!" she added, pointing a finger at me in exasperation.

     "Ugh! Do whatever you want but don't get me involved! I'm already 18! I can now live on my own. I want to stay and study here for college. And that's it. So can you now drop this?" I then pushed my seat back, stood up, and headed back to my room, leaving my meal untouched... again.

     I don't get why I have to go with them to Georgetown. I'm perfectly fine here in Erinville. I'm very confident with myself that I can live on my own. But of course, my parents still being my ATM. But basically, I can fend for myself. We're pretty rich, so money won't even be a problem. I can get whatever I want instantly with the snap of my fingers. Yeah, the classic spoiled brat. But even if that's so, I know when to adjust. I know everything about life.. Well, with accord to my vocabulary, at least.

     I went up to my room with heavy steps on the stairs to show my firm objection. I phoned my best friend, Lee Ji Yeon, as soon as I reached my comfy bed. "They're bringing it up again. Ugh! I'm so sick of this. Should I run away?" I blurted as soon as she picked up on the third ring.

     "Stop being stupid. You know they can track you down anywhere you go." my best friend said.

     "I know, right?" I sighed. "Damn it! I don't wanna go with them. What should I do, Ji Yeon-ah?" I asked, now with a worried tone in my voice.

     "Why don't you give it a try?" she suggested.

     "Hell! Never!" I almost shouted over the phone.

     She sighed in resignation and went silent.

     Lee Ji Yeon has been my best friend since we were both eight. I always vent to her whenever I encounter a problem, no matter how petty it is. She was always the more mature one, regardless of our age. I guess it's because she doesn't live with her parents that much. And I kind of want that too. I want to be independent. I think I'd learn more about life that way.

     We stayed silent for a moment. It was always like this whenever we get into a serious situation. We help each other think of a solution to our problems.

     And I knew she came up with something when she started talking. "How about we live together?" she suggested.

     My eyes sparkled at that. "Great idea you got there, girl!" I exclaimed in excitement. "Why didn't I think of that?"

     "You're welcome." she replied jokingly. "Well, I assume we're both taking a degree here in Erinville. Right?"

     "But of course!" I blurted out. "Wait, I gotta go. I'm gonna go tell them."

     "You go, girl. Good luck!" she said before I hung up.

     I checked my parents' bedroom if they were there... nope. Study Room.

     I leaned closer to the Study Room's door to eavesdrop on whatever they were talking about. But I could only hear gibberish.

     I was startled when someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around to see my younger sister standing before me.

     "What the hell are you up to, eavesdropping like that?" she challenged. "I'm gonna tell mom if you don't tell me." she added.

     She's only two years younger than me, but she is so damn immature. And sometimes I want to slap her on the face.

     She crossed her arms on her chest and cocked an eyebrow at me, waiting for my answer.

     I just sighed at her childish attempts and walked past her.

     But she was quick to grab my wrist, stopping me from walking away.

     "What the hell are you doing!?" I exclaimed in annoyance.

     "No. What the hell were you doing?" she countered.

     Sometimes, she's just so impossible to deal with. "For God's sake, Park Mi Yeon! It was no big deal at all!" I defended.

     "For God's sake, Park Mi Ne! You were intruding in other people's privacy!" she shot back.

     Oh, God, help me. I'm losing my temper. I closed my eyes as I heaved a sigh, trying to calm my nerves down.

     Thankfully, both of our parents came out of the Study before I could even tackle her down.

     "What on earth are you two yelling about out here?" my father, Park In Sung, asked.

     "Ask her." Mi Yeon quickly answered.

     "I was just here to discuss something with you and mom. Mi Yeon happened to see me leaning my ear on that door and accused me of intruding in your private lives." I explained. "I was just checking if you were here because you were not in your bedroom."

     "Oh, really?" she scoffed. "I guess knocking was too inconvenient then."

     Before I could even defend myself, my mother stepped in. "Stop it, both of you! Park Mi Yeon, why are you home just now? Did you hang out with your friends again?"

     "Why not? God, we're leaving in a week! Can't I at least have some farewell meeting with them?"

     "And that farewell thing had been going on for days now." my mother chastised. "And don't you dare raise your voice to me, too!"

     I want to laugh at that but I know I can't, unless I want their anger be shifted to me right now.

     "Mi Yeon-ah, let's go to your room and talk. Mi Ne-yah, go talk to your dad and I'll join in after I get this over with." she ordered.

     I saw Mi Yeon roll her eyes before I entered the Study with my father. I just ignored her foolishness and started rehearsing what I had to say.

     "So what did you want to talk about?" my father asked.

     "About this, this whole migration thing."

     "Are we having this discussion again?"

     "Yes. And I'm not giving up until you let me stay here." I said firmly.

     My father sighed right when mother came in. "So what is this all about? Don't tell me it's-"

     "Yes, mother." I interrupted.

     My parents actually sighed in unison. I wanted to laugh again but gee, I'll lose my chance of staying if I even have. People more likely want to laugh during a serious discussion, I think.

     "Just hear me out, for once."

     "Go on." my father said.

     "I grew up here in this house and I don't want to leave out all those good memories just like that. Memories with In Soo, to be specific. I don't know if it's because of him that you're moving out. But if ever that is the reason, I'm not as coward as you to leave this house behind. This house feels home and that villa you bought in Georgetown looks like a huge labyrinth with boring interior. Just because he's gone doesn't mean we have to walk away just like that. I know very well that it's not good to dwell in the past, but it's a place that is still healthy to visit. And in case you're worrying that I will feel alone, which I hardly think so, I talked to Ji Yeon and she said she can live with me here."

     I knew my whole litany reached them when they were both staring at the floor. They're close to letting me!

     "You know this wooden floor you're both staring at is not gonna give me an answer." I reminded them, half-joking to ease the tension in this room's atmosphere a bit. But I have to be reminded that my parents don't have any sense of humor... not anymore since the whole In Soo incident.

     Park In Soo is my brother... my oppa. He was actually closer to me than to Mi Yeon. He died almost a year ago in a car accident. That time, he was on his way to pick up Mi Yeon from a stupid party. One of Mi Yeon's guy friends was too drunk and stupid enough to mess up with my brother's car brakes. Unfortunately, that stupid kid was a minor and only received a light punishment.

     I was snapped out of my sudden thoughts about my brother when my dad finally spoke up. "Fine. You stay here, but in one condition."

     "Really?" I asked wishfully. "What is that condition?"

     My father met my mother's questioning eyes before answering. "You stay here with your sister."

     "What!? Hell, no!" That wasn't me. It was my sister who is now standing by the door.

     "Look who's eavesdropping just now." I mocked. "I was actually going to say the same thing but hey, thanks for saving my saliva for a better use."

     "Whatever, Mi Ne-ssi." she said, jutting her tongue at me. "Dad, I don't want to live alone with her! Yes, I would appreciate staying here but it just won't work for me if it's just the two of us."

     "Especially for me. This house would be in a total chaos everyday." I chimed in.

     "Then work on it... because you've got no other choice anymore. It's my final decision." my father said firmly.

     My sister just walked out of the room in exasperation. As if the whole situation is all in her disadvantage. If only she knew how much of a brat she is. I bet some of her friends backstab her because even her own sister does.

     "I warned you. Don't go on blaming me when the time comes because I am the mature one here." I told my parents before leaving the room.

     Well, then, I have a week of peace and quiet.

     Just when I was about to enter my room, I was yanked by the wrist. Park Mi Yeon.

     "This is all your fault. Hell, I don't want to live alone with you! I'd rather go with them!" she yelled. "Convince mom and dad." she said sternly.

     I just rolled my eyes at her, pulled my wrist, and quickly opened my door and shut it on her face.

     "How dare you!" I heard her shout.

     I really wish this kid grows up the soonest possible time. She's getting into my nerves every single day and I'm close to my limit. I don't have the patience that In Soo had.

-----