Get A Room, Lovebirds

Next To You (ON HOLD)

     "Hey. I, uh, will see you tomorrow?" Jackson verified as I passed by the bar.

     We were already leaving the coffee shop. Ji Yeon and Sung Jae were walking side-by-side ahead of me and talking about something. I have no idea what it's about, maybe just catching up or something, but it's to my advantage since it bought me a few seconds to say goodbye to Jackson properly. He's going to be my boss so I might as well build a healthy employer-employee relationship with him.

     Sung Jae noticed that I stopped following behind them before he went out the door. When he saw me having a conversation with Jackson, I saw his brows furrow in confusion.

     "You bet." I told Jackson with a casual smile. I then my heels to follow the two and to ease Sung Jae of his curiosity.

     But before I could completely turn my back to him, I heard him call, "Wait!"

     I turned to face him again and waited for him to say what he wanted to.

     "Can I, uh, get your number?" he asked.

     I was stunned for a second before I could answer. "Wh-wha-"

     "Oh, you know, just in case you decided to bail on me." he cut off. He scratched the back of his neck in a manner that made him look like a high school boy, about to ask his crush to prom.

     C'mon, Mi Ne, get a grip.

     "Or not. It's okay. Just.. Let me know if you're still coming because I have to make preparations." he explained.

     "No! No. It's fine." I reassured. "Sorry, I just didn't expect that you'd-"

     "That I'd doubt you?"

     "Yes. That." I confirmed. I'm not sure if he's just trying to veer away from the embarrassment or he's really clueless. "Anyway, give me your phone. I'll type in my number."

     He handed me his iPhone then I dialed my number. My phone in my pocket went off. He nodded as I returned his phone and our fingers lightly touched in the process. I retracted my arm rather hastily that almost made him lose a grip of his phone.

     I gave him a pursed-lip smile before I took off. He returned the gesture.

     "You know him?" Sung Jae asked as soon as I reached the glass door.

     He pushed the door open and let me out first. "Just now. He spilled our drinks on my shirt. My favorite shirt at that." I informed him.

     He just looked me, tilting his head on the side a bit like he was analyzing me. "Didn't know you had a favorite shirt." he then commented with a smirk. "You like all your shirts and dresses. And whenever you start liking one of them more than the others, you'd start feeling guilty. Then you wouldn't wear that clothing that you'd come to like more for a month." He smiled at the memory but it left me desolate.

     "It's my favorite because Mom and I bought it together. It was the last thing we bought together."

     He stopped walking upon hearing my words. I almost felt guilty for telling him when I saw his face turn pale and look crestfallen.

     "I-I'm sorry." he murmured.

     I turned to him and smiled. "Ya. Yook Sung Jae. Geumanhaja, uh?"

     "I-"

     Before he could even apologize again, I hugged him tight. "You said you'd call me. What took you so long?"

     He hugged me back. I heard him take a deep breath and then exhaled. "Sorry. Something came up." he told me.

     I nodded in understanding. It wasn't necessarily his responsibility to call me right away in the first place. Why make it a big deal?

     "Hey, lovebirds! Get a room!" Ji Yeon shouted.

     Upon hearing her words, we both jumped and broke the hug. This woman! Why does she have to make things awkward always?

     We simultaneously glared at her direction. She was standing by her car. When she saw us turning red, she laughed her off like she had just heard the best joke in her life.

     I marched towards her car but when I saw Sung Jae not trailing behind, I asked, "You're not coming with us? We're watching a movie."

     "I brought my car. I'll see you there?"

     "Oh, okay."

~~~~~

     "Well, that was one helluva movie." Ji Yeon commented as we made our way out of the movie theater.

     "Boring." Sung Jae and I replied in unison.

     "Look at these two. Now they're even saying the same things simultaneously. Soulmates much?" she mocked.

     "Ani. It's because it really was boring." Sung Jae argued.

     "Just how could you say that? Tris nailed it!" she exclaimed. "Did you even watch? I think you were just making out with Mi Ne the whole time."

     "Ya, Lee Ji Yeon!" I exclaimed at her. She's just way out of the line. I could tolerate all of it but this is not a good time. Sung Jae and I just made up and we don't need something like this right now, wedged between us. It was hard enough to get rid of the awkwardness. Now she's putting us into another uncomfortable situation.

     However, Sung Jae immediately butted in. "Ohu! Geumanhaera." he hissed. "Ya, Ji Yeon-ah. Did you even read the book? It was way better."

     "O-of course. It was w-way better." she stuttered, scratching her earlobe.

     She always does that when she's lying. It's her nervous tick that Sung Jae and I both knew. But she has no idea that we do. "Liar. If you won't shut up, I'll spoil you the third book." I told her and jutted my tongue at her.

     Sung Jae laughed at the way I handled Ji Yeon. She knows how to be serious in serious situations but that's it. She's the extreme opposite when she's goofing around. You have to have patience to stay friends with her.

~~~~~

     "Mia." Sung Jae called before I could turn around.

     I glanced at Ji Yeon but she had already entered the house.

     It was already dark by the time we got home. He stood against the source of light but his eyes sparkled just as beautifully as they usually do. The way he looks like he's about to cry because of those eyes whenever he stares at me, it's a sight to see. He always had this caring and tender gaze he gives me when we're alone. Staring deep into those eyes makes me feel safe, like I will never get hurt, like harm is miles away.

     "Oh?"

     "Let's hang out tomorrow." he said. "Just the two of us."

     The street lamps were lit and the moths gathered under the light. The chirping of crickets were loud but it was my heartbeat that prevailed. I don't know why. Maybe it's those orbs again. Or his new black hair that compliments them perfectly. Or the way he called me by the nickname he made up for me.

     Does he have something important to tell me? Important enough to leave Ji Yeon out of it?

     "O-okay. Sure." I agreed anyway. No questions asked.

     He smiled and said, "Cool. I'll pick you up at 6 in the evening."

     "Okay. See you tomorrow."

     He smiled before he took off.

     Kaja, Mine-yah. You have a long day tomorrow. Now, let's put your baking skills to a test.

-----

That Sung Jae - Mi Ne moment though. ❤️