Nirvana

Next To You (ON HOLD)

     "Oh. My. God. What have you done?" Ji Yeon cried out as soon as she entered the kitchen, witnessing the messed up kitchen counter. "When was the last time you baked?"

     I could only shrug my shoulders because I have no excuse for the mess I made. Flour was scattered everywhere. Cake batter was splattered on the counter and on the tiled floor. The open oven showcased a number of burnt matters that were supposed to be strawberry cupcakes.

     To be honest, it was In Soo oppa who taught me how to bake. I was struggling in my Home Economics subject in Junior High but she helped me get through it. We would occasionally bake cupcakes and croissants just for fun. Weird that he can bake, I know, because he's a guy. There were times I even wondered if he liked guys instead of girls.

     A tinge of pain struck my chest at the thought of my brother not even being able to mold his identity or become the person he could have been after finishing school. Would he pursue Business Management or Industrial Engineering? Would he still be the caring older brother like he had always been even after being stressed out due to college? Well, of course. In Soo oppa is the kindest person I know.

     "Hey, you alright?" Ji Yeon asked, her face engulfed with worry. "I was just joking. You can make all the mess you want. Just clean up afterwards."

     I was snapped out of the daze I have been in whilst mixing the new set of cake batter. "Oh, sorry about the mess. I'll clean up afterwards. No worries." I reassured her and flashed a smile.

     Ji Yeon just stared at me with questioning eyes. "What's wrong?" she asked.

     I let go of the batter in my hands into the bowl and then leaned against the counter. "I just remembered In Soo oppa. That's all."

     "Why are you even doing this?" she inquired.

     "It's what I'll be doing at Love & Respect tomorrow." I answered honestly.

     "What!? Are you insane!?" she exclaimed. "You're not a chef, not a baker. So why bother doing this?"

     I let out a deep sigh. I honestly don't know why I'm doing this.

     "This may sound really stupid but I really feel like doing this. As of the moment, at least." I told her. "I don't know why, okay. I just want to. Maybe I'll figure it out soon."

     I heard Ji Yeon also heave a sigh. She knew it would be pointless arguing with me about this. She grabbed a kitchen towel hung on the side of the counter and started wiping off the flour.

     "Ji Yeon-ah.."

     She looked at me, weariness evident in her eyes.

     "Gomawo." I murmured. I hugged her from the back and she tried to resist. But I'm stronger than her so her resistance was futile.

     "Mwoya. This is so cheesy." she complained but a suppressed smile crept across her face.

~~~~~

     "Oh, wasseoyo?" Jackson greeted as soon as I entered the coffee shop. He was busy wiping one of the tables near the entrance but stopped as soon as he saw me.

     "Nep! Good morning everyone! Park Mi Ne imnida!" I cheerfully greeted with a near-90 degrees bow.

     Some of the staff were uncomfortable greeting me back but the rest were all smiles at the sight of me.

     It was still so early in the morning. The 'Closed' sign was still hung on the door. I texted Jackson last night to ask what time I had to come. He said five o'clock but I bargained for an hour later, which he accepted after a few begging.

     "Okay, let's go inside. I'll show you the kitchen and teach you everything you need to know." He removed the apron he was wearing that protected his white dress shirt and gave it, along with the rug, to one of the crew named Kim Jun Ho.

     I trailed behind him as we entered the restricted area behind the bar. The knob-less door was camouflaged in the brick stone design of the wall. The wall was made of concrete but the door was made of wood. It was covered with protruding clay that gave the illusion of it being a brick wall.

     Behind the bar is a small kitchen. It's furnished with baking essentials and other kitchen tools. The interior is more of a home kitchen than a restaurant one. There's even a two-seater leather sofa at the far end, beside the pantry.

     To my surprise, a man who looks older than me greeted us. His hair looked like he never spends time putting wax on it like what other guys usually do. He had big eyes which gave him a fierce aura. He exuded confidence despite his rugged jeans and band shirt, which was covered by his white apron but it revealed enough for me to conclude that he likes Nirvana.

     "Jun Young-ssi, this is Park Mi Ne-ssi." Jackson introduced. "Mi Ne-ssi, this is Jung Jun Young-ssi."

     "Annyeong haseyo." we greeted at the same time.

     After the two of us exchanged smiles and greetings, I turned to Jackson. "Will I be working with him?" I asked.

     "Yes. So don't worry too much. He'll help you." he told me.

     "Hyung. I'll leave it to you from here." Jackson told Jun Young.

     "No worries." Jun Young replied with a salute with his index and middle fingers.

     As soon as Jackson shut the door, Jun Young turned to face me. He widened his eyes and displayed a creepy smile. "How are you?" he asked, his face drawing closer to mine. He smelled like fresh cologne.

     "I'm doing fine, I guess?" I answered, stepping back. He's way taller than me so it's difficult not to be easily intimidated by him.

     He stood straight and nodded his head. "Okay. Do you know our dessert menu?" he asked calmly.

     "Not yet. I was hoping I could get a look beforehand because I forgot to take a look at it yesterday when I got hired." I explained.

     "Reasons. It's posted on the internet." he argued. His eyes turned dark like a monster about to devour me for breakfast.

     He might be doing this just to intimidate me. Calm down, Mi Ne. You practiced last night. 

-----

So there goes Jung Jun Young! Will Jun Young and Mi Ne get along well or will he be a pain in the arse to her?

Let me know what ya think! <3

xoxo