4 Years Forward

Next To You (ON HOLD)

     It's been 4 years since my parents died in a horrific accident. But the wound in my heart is still as deep and fresh as when I received the unexpected call from Sung Jae. I'm not so sure if it's ever gonna turn into a scar.

     It's almost becoming a curse in our family - dying in car accidents. And not having the criminal penalized adequately for being a minor. Somebody really needs to teach their children not to drink and drive a truck they do not own and crush it to a properly parked vehicle in front of a convenience store where the driver of the vehicle went in.

     I wiped the tear that was trying to escape again with my hanky, careful not to ruin my mascara. I don't really want to look like a panda on my graduation day. I glanced at Ji Yeon who was seated four seats away from me. She also looked and gave me a small smile and I did the same.

     We both took business courses because our parents are/were businessmen. The Lee family were very kind for letting me stay in their house during my entire college life. I left our house and Mi Yeon because she wouldn't stop pestering and blaming me for the accident. She said if it wasn't for me, she'd be with Mom and Dad in a better place. I couldn't possibly concentrate on college with her around, making me feel terrible. So I took upon myself to go back home once I graduated. And besides, it's only a few blocks away. But even if it's only a few minutes walk, I haven't talked to her in four years. We've had awkward encounters in public but neither of us bothered to even say hi.

     "Congratulations, graduates!" I heard the dean say.

     Everyone rose from their seats. Some threw their caps in the air; some hugged and cried; some took pictures; some stood awkwardly while clapping, like me. Ji Yeon made her way toward me and gave me a big, tight hug.

     "I can't believe we're finally done with school and studying!" she beamed.

     "Yeah, me too!" I replied as happily as I could.

     Then I saw a familiar face I haven't seen in years.

     Ji Yeon noticed that I slowly loosened the hug. She broke it off and it was then she saw who I was having eye-to-eye contact with. Yook Sung Jae.

     Ever since the accident, I refused to see him again. I avoided him and after a few weeks of ignoring him, I think he realized that I really didn't want to see him. Not then. Not now. Not forever.

     I turned to walk away but I stopped dead in my tracks when a strong hand grabbed my wrist. I saw how Ji Yeon looked like she didn't know what to do. "I-I'm going to see Mom and Dad. I'll wait for you in the car." she told me.

     Unfazed by how firm his grip was, I turned to face him. He loosened his grip and eventually let my wrist go. "What are you doing here?" I asked, emotionless.

     "Mia-" he started but abruptly stopped to catch himself. "Mi Ne-yah, please, let's talk."

     He looked devastated. One can easily see that through his eyes. He looked like he ditched shaving for a month. But it perfectly matched his manly figure. Four years ago, he was just a boy. Now he's... all grown up. His navy blue shirt hugged his body well and the sleeves looked like they're going to rip when he flexes. His faded jeans showed how he was not missing his leg days. "I'm listening."

     "I-I don't know how to start." he said, running a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry. I know you're really mad at me but please, forgive me. I feel... devastated. I feel like you blame me for what happened to your parents. With that in my mind, I always wish I was the one in the car instead. After getting a hint that you really do blame me, I felt ashamed to see you. It took me so long to face you again. I know I should've been more persistent because you needed someone by your side, but I just couldn't face you anymore because I also started thinking that it was really my fault."

     His voice cracked at the last sentence but he managed to hold back the tears that was trying to escape from his beautiful orbs.

     But I failed to do the same. I've really gotten so good in holding back my tears for the past four years. I never cried in the funeral. But now, I can no longer hold them back. I couldn't stop them from flowing no matter how hard I tried. My hands were curled into fists and they were quickly turning pale. I stood there silently, still looking in his eyes, with mine screaming at him to save me.

     He's right. I blamed him. But now, I don't even know anymore. I blame everyone. I blame everyone who is taking their parents for granted. But I was selfish. I only thought of myself. I didn't even think that Sung Jae was also as devastated as I was. Maybe even more when I made him think he is the reason for making two teenagers orphans.

     When I gasped while trying to hold back my tears, he closed the gap between us and hugged me tight. We then both started sobbing. The warmth of his body made me lower my guard. It's now safe to say that I missed him so much. Because of him, I finally cried my heart out. So much for being strong. What I need right now is this - this moment with him. I hugged him back, my hands still curled into fists. He pulled me closer like there was still space left between us.

     "Oh, Mia. I missed you so much." he managed to say between sobs.

     "I missed you too."

-----

Hope you liked this chapter! Almost cried writing it. :(

Leave a comment! Lemme know what ya think!

xoxo