Sisters Forever

Next To You (ON HOLD)

     "So? How was it?" Ji Yeon asked as soon as I settled on my seat, with my back facing the book shelves.

     "What? How was what?" I asked, confused as to what she's talking about. At that moment, I saw Jackson walk out of the Personnel's Room. Our eyes met for a second and he gave me an apologetic smile.

     "Was he good in bed or what?" she casually asked, starting to get impatient.

     I shot her a glare before anyone else could hear our conversation. This woman.

     She laughed her off like my misery is nothing but a joke to her. I could really strangle her right now but that would require a lot of energy so instead, I grabbed a book from the shelves, saw that the title was "The Catastrophic History Of You And Me", and then threw it at her. I've read that book. It's a good one. Sadly, she caught the book with her hands.

     I didn't notice Jackson eyeing me. When our eyes met, he gave me a look of disapproval. He pursed his lips after I mouthed "Sorry." I really felt sorry right after throwing the book.

     "Ooh. Already getting along well, huh?" I heard Ji Yeon tease.

     I shot her another glare and thank God, she shut up. Not after another fit of laughter. I don't know how I manage to get along with this woman. She's crazier than I am and that says a lot.

     "Have you read this?" Ji Yeon asked.

     "Yeah. Pretty good. You should read it," I told her.

     "Mmkay."

     She then proceeded to read the book on the bean bag laying next to her chair. Her body was all sprawled out like she didn't care if the entire staff are males and that she's wearing shorts. I just shook my head and went on to get another one to read. Since my back was facing the shelves, I had to twist my body toward it to grab a book. I leaned back on my seat after getting myself a Haruki Murakami but almost jump out of it when Jackson suddenly appeared in front of me with two beverages in a tray.

     After giving me a small smile, he laid the drinks down on the table. "Enjoy your drink. I'm sorry again." he apologized and then gave me and Ji Yeon a small smile.

     I returned the smile and nodded.

     It was a mistake glancing at Ji Yeon afterwards. If I didn't, I wouldn't have to see her wiggling her eyebrows again with a rather creepy grin.

     "Come drink this before I spill it all over you," I warned her.

     "Oh, yes, please. I'd be glad," she flirtatiously replied with a dirty grin that made me cringe.

     I raised my head up like I was about to pray to whoever above would want to hear it. "What did I do to deserve this kind of friend?" I uttered with a groan.

     "You know you love me," she stated playfully before she went into another fits of laughter.

     She grabbed her drink and so did I. I could finally taste this long-overdue Strawberry Lemonade. And when I did, it's like I just tasted heaven. Goodbye, Erin's. I think I've found my soulmate.

     I meant this cafe, okay. Not the owner.

     "Oh, . This tastes great," Ji Yeon commented in a serious tone with a facial expression that looks like she just had her first Eureka moment in her life.

     "Damn right, it is," I agreed.

     "But this is not my order."

     I made a face and apologized. "Yeah. I'm sorry about that."

     "It's okay. It tastes great anyway. And I'd be confused too, if suddenly there was an angel in front of me, getting my order," she teased, back at her irritating games again.

     "You could've stopped at 'It tastes great,'" I told her.

     She just raised her cup like she was making a toast and then took a sip. "We had just discovered an excuse to come here often," she mused afterwards. "Imagine getting a dose of hunky chunky every single day. It's like you wouldn't even need their coffee anymore to start your day!"

     And then I remembered the little agreement I had with Jackson a while ago.

     "Actually, about that.. I think I don't have a choice but to come here everyday," I told her.

     "What do you mean?"

     "Because I'll be working here starting to tomorrow."

     "But why?" she asked, confusion visible on her face.

     I shrugged my shoulders because I really don't know what I was thinking that time. I was just joking when I suggested it to Ji Yeon back at home. "I.. I don't know. I think I want to start from the bottom," I told her. It's the truth. I really want that. I don't want to get promoted to a higher position just because we own the business.

     "I understand that but it doesn't mean you have to wait tables. That's more of a part-time job, not a full-time one. You didn't go to college to work in a coffee shop. Unless you get to be the manager because last time I checked, we took business courses," she chastised.

     I couldn't do anything but roll my eyes at her because she's right. What was I thinking? And I don't even get to wait tables. I will just be inside, baking stuff. "Calm yo , lady. This is just temporary," I joked with a nervous laugh.

     She sighed after a long pause. "If you say so. But don't take too long. I'll be waiting for you."

     "Yeah, yeah. Now go read your book, you evil grandma," I dismissed.

     As she went back to reading, my phone that I had laid down on the table vibrated. It's a call from Sung Jae. I haven't seen nor heard from him since when he came to my graduation ceremony. He said he would call but he never did.

     "Hey. You busy?" he asked after I answered the call.

     "Not really. I'm just hanging out with Ji Yeon," I told him. When I said her name and looked at her, she also looked.

     "Who?" she mouthed.

     "Sung Jae," I answered.

     She nodded and then held the book up to read again, covering her face.

     "Okay. Can I join you, guys?" he asked.

     "Sure. We're at Love & Respect."

     "Where is that?"

     "It's the new coffee shop in town. Just a few blocks from Erinville's," I informed him.

     "Alright. Coming. See you in a bit."

     "Alright. See you."

     I don't know what to expect after our emotional confrontation last week but I'm kind of disappointed. He's being cold and I don't know why. Did I do something wrong? Did something happen to him, that it took him six days to finally call?

     "What did he say?" Ji Yeon asked, not bothering to lower her book to look at me.

     "He's joining us here," I told her.

     "Ooh. That's interesting," she said, finally looking at me, in an amazed tone like something interesting is really going to happen. I like it more when she was really into what she was reading. "I'll get my popcorn ready. Let's see who between the two will be able to hold your attention longer," she teased, then back again at her book after laughing at my annoyed look.

     "I'm sorry but I'm disowning you right now," I announced.

     "Uh-uh. You can't. We're sisters forever," she replied, still engrossed in the book.

     "Hey," I heard Sung Jae call as he approached us several minutes after.

     He was wearing a pair of dark, tight jeans and a white shirt that hugged his body perfectly. But that's not what made him look more dashing than ever. His blond hair is now gone. His now dark hair makes his facial features stand out even more. It made him look more masculine. To stop myself from gaping, I gathered all my strength to turn my head toward Ji Yeon, who was swooning over Sung Jae herself.

     "What's with the change of hair color?" I gushed, trying to sound like I wasn't really going head-over-heels for his new look, just concerned like the dear friend that I am.

     "Is it that bad?" he asked, making a face.

     "N-no. No!" Ji Yeon exclaimed. "It's good," she complimented, putting too much emphasis on the last word.

     He caught up with Ji Yeon's flirtatious attempts so he just rolled his eyes at her. I, on the other hand, laughed at the exchange between the two.

     "We have a winner," Ji Yeon whispered to me.

     I, in return, glared at her. She just gave me a mischievous smile.

-----

I, too, like Sung Jae better with dark hair. 😍