I hear you but you're not here

Be my hero

If is vulgar, beware of language 

 

Enjoy~~~~~~~~~

 


"Ever since I became a slave to Ye seul, I've been tasked to kill people he thought were better off dead in this world. Jihyun was no exception. Her father was a member of the mafia and had angered him when he ran off with a large sum of money and Ye seul thought it was an appropriate punishment for him to murder his Daughter and make it known to the public." Eun ha says with a downcast expression. 

 

 


"How about the rest of the victims then? Those who were murdered 15 years ago?" Jeonghan says softly as he willed the anger away from his voice. He couldn't believe how cruel Ye seul was, to have made an innocent woman like Eun ha kill so many. 

 

 


"Others were either ex-mafia members or simply people who couldn't pay their debts..." Eun ha cringes in regret as she breaks down crying. Warm tears fall off continuously onto her small palms as she lowers her head in despair. 

 

 

"I didn't want to kill them...But I couldn't go against Ye seul...or he would have killed me like the rest." Eun ha continues, her voice trembling tremendously. 

 

 

"He's a cruel man who uses psychics as slaves to get what he wants! The mafia proves the very controversy about peace between humans and psychics. He made me realise, how cruel this world treats us psychics and that we will never be protected and sheltered!" Eun ha bawls in anger and sadness. 

 

 

Jeonghan couldn't help but empathise with the other psychic. She was but a woman who couldn't find peace anywhere and the mafia was all she known. Murder, killing and agony was all that she could relate to. Such a person, who regretted all her wrongdoings, did not deserve how the world treated her. It was never fair to psychics. At least that was what Jeonghan felt. 

 

 


"Nevertheless, you committed murder. I have to take you in to the police but I'm sure...given your records, you will be executed." Jeonghan's eyes soften as he looks at her and expresses his concerns. 

 

 


"And I told you...all I want is to end my life. If all I've down is hurt people, the world is better off without me." Eun ha laughs at her misery. 

 

 

"What about Hana? She may be a slave, but does she know about the mafia?" Jeonghan continues, trying to plead for her to spare her own life. Hana was just a little girl, if she did not know anything about the mafia, then it will be too cruel for her to lose her apparent Mother. 

 

 

 

"Hana doesn't know a thing and I do regret it everyday. If one day I die, will she come to hate me for my weakness? Will she come to become like me, a murderer? But I can't take it anymore...Everyday is a terror for me, I see the deaths of the victims I've killed everywhere. Even the cries for help... I can hear them Detective." Eun ha clutched her head strongly and shakes her head vehemently. 

 

 

 

Jeonghan couldn't bear to watch any longer. He had promised to end her life and he intended to keep that. 

 

 


"Alright, I will take care of everything. Leave it all to me." Jeonghan smiles pleasantly at the young lady. 

 

 

Hearing his reassuring words, Eun ha lets out a relieve smile before closing her eyes and finally passes out due to exhaustion. She flashes a beautiful smile on her face as she sleeps, Eun ha looked much more happier than she did for a very long time. 

 

 


Jeonghan closes his eyes and heaves a deep sigh. He takes out his phone and calls his lover. Hearing the phone connecting the line, Jeonghan looks up at the dark charcoal stained sky and Friend worriedly. Seungcheol was definitely gonna be mad at him being out so late at night. As he hears the phone connects to the other side, the younger male hears the concern deep voice of his lover. 

 


"Seungcheol I think you need to come. I found the murder." He says in a low voice. 

 

 

-------------

 

2 days later

 

"Mingyu, here." A cup of instant coffee and a packed sandwich lands falls onto the table with a thud. Mingyu glances at the breakfast in front of him in surprise. Wonwoo walks by soon after as he drags his feet heavily. 

 

 


"What's the event? You're being unusually nice here." Mingyu chuckles. 

 

 


"I have my moments." Wonwoo replies impassively as he walks to the table next to Mingyu and sits down unceremoniously. Stacks of papers flies pass Mingyu before dropping onto Wonwoo's table, a loud smack resounded in the room. 

 

 

"What's with the gloomy face," Mingyu turns to looks at Wonwoo curiously and glances at the tall stacks of papers. "And why the never ending amount of work?"

 

 

Wonwoo heaves a deep sigh as his frown deepens, "Seungcheol talked to me just a while ago. He said the murderer was caught but now Min Eun ha has provided evidences about Ye Seul's and Ki Yejoon's illegal psychic trafficking businesses. It's getting pretty out of hand now, I wonder how the public will take it. And if it goes like this, we may have more work to do, after all we started this mess so if the police wants us to catch the crime lords, we don't really have a choice."

 

 

Mingyu takes a sip of his coffee and says, "nothing new is there? Police or not, they are humans. You can't expect complete trust in one another." Wonwoo makes an indifferent face and says sarcastically, "not for you to say. You're a human in case you forgot." 

 

 

Mingyu smirks at Wonwoo, "no I haven't sadly. You remind me too often dear."

 

 

"Wipe that smirk of your face." With a quick maneuver, the report on wonwoo's table rolls itself then circles around Mingyu's head, giving it a hard smack. Mingyu yelps in surprise and clutches his head in pain dramatically. 

 

 


"Get to work if you have so much time. It's a long day ahead." Wonwoo says cooly. 

 

 


-----------------

 

"Sorry about that Seungcheol," Jun apologises. They were in Seungcheol's office, discussing about the plans ahead for the Inju Serial Murder case. 

 

 

"It's not your fault the police is hard to deal with." Seungcheol rubs his temple in annoyance. The older male could feel an impending headache on its way. 'I'd better take some painkillers..'

 

 

"The head chief is pretty adamant on having Min Eun ha. The police wants to claim the credits like before and it's hard to convince my superiors about this, they all seem to agree on solving the murder case and catching Ye seul." Jun continues, stress evident in his voice from the lack of sleep. 

 

 


Seungcheol continues to rub his temple in silence, his eyebrows furrowing in irritation. After a while, he says, "fine."

 

 

"Eh?" Came Jun's unintelligent reply. 

 


"Hand the case to them. But they will not ask of us any help. If they want to venture into the nest of bloodthirsty psychics, tell them go ahead." Seungcheol nods in agreement. 

 


"What? Are you serious Seungcheol?" Jun exclaims. 

 


"Dead serious." Seungcheol's eyes darken dangerously. 

 


"If they think they can mess with us, they're picking the wrong fight. Anyways, if they want to solve the case and claim the credits so badly then so be it. "

 


"Ye seul does psychic trafficking! Who knows how many psychics will the police face if they challenge them head on. They can't possibly win!"

 


"Then what do you want me to do?" Seungcheol says coldly. The older male interlocks his hands together and rest them on his face, pondering at the current predicament. It was always like this. The police coming in at the wrong time, taking away the only witness and then going to the media to proclaim shamelessly that they solved the case. However, whenever that doesn't go as plan, they seek out the psychics for help. But this time, it was too much to handle. Seungcheol was utterly vexed that the police wanted to claim their hard earned results especially since Jeonghan had a hand in all this. If it weren't for the brunet, this case would have never been solved. 

 


"I don't help the police. That's not what the Supernatural Detective Agency does." Seungcheol stands up suddenly and takes his jacket to hang it around his shoulder. He walks away, striding across the room to the glass door of his office. Jun turns around to stop him but stops in his track hesitantly. 

 

 

"I know you don't like the police because they discriminate psychics. But even so, please do the right thing." Jun pleads. 

 

 

Seungcheol places his hand on the knob of the door but stops as he hears Jun's words. 

 


"The society hasn't come to accept the existence of psychics, so please understand why the media chooses the police." Jun raises his hands to emphasise his point strongly. 

 


Seungcheol lets his hand slide down the knob before it hangs limply by his side. He turns around and glances sadly at Jun, his eyes shining with melancholy. 

 

 

"The society will never accept psychics, but even so we have to live on. Even Jeonghan...he's not an official Detective because he can't be registered as a psychic. It's not because he wouldn't, he wants to be so badly yet he can't. To be part of a country that never wanted him...that's how this world works. There will never be peace." Seungcheol says in a hoarse whisper but Jun hears it crystal clear. The pain was evident in his deep voice than Jun couldn't find the heart to say anything more to depress the older male. 

 

 

Seungcheol looks at Jun for the final time before he leaves the room, the door slamming with a loud thud before silence envelops the room. Jun heaves a deep sigh of annoyance and runs his hand through his soft hair. 

 

 

"Will you never forget, Seungcheol?"

 


-----------------

 

"Hey, how do you feel?" Jeonghan asks kindly. He places his hand beneath his chin to support his face on the metal table in front of him. Across the table, sat Min Eun ha, the Inju serial killer. 

 

 

"Much better. Although the police were much rougher than the psychics back at the supernatural detectives agency." Eun ha smiles at him, tone weary but cheerful. 

 

 

"Sorry about that," Jeonghan frowns slightly, "the police aren't exactly welcoming towards psychics." The police hated psychics. It wasn't uncommon because technically the police is filled with humans. And it was no secret that most humans detested psychics and while some envied them for their powers, psychics and humans never did get along. Even with Organisations that aim to protect psychics have appeared, this fact cannot be ignored. The world is constantly at war, maybe not psychically but always psychologically, at the hearts and minds of people. 

 

 


"But it's okay...I'm happier now." Eun ha closes her eyes and smiles genuinely. 

 

 

"I finally got the fate I deserved. Maybe now all those whom I have killed can finally rest in peace." 

 

 

Hearing this, Jeonghan's face fallen in anguish. 

 

 

"Will you die?" Jeonghan forces out the words raw and thick with sadness. 

 

 

"It's all I ask for." Eun ha replies a little too jovial. 

 

 

"Then what about Hana? Your Daughter?" Jeonghan tries again, desperate evident in his voice. 

 


"Hana will never have to know that her Mother was a murderer. She's better off without me detective." Eun ha looks at the younger male and grins. 

 


"Besides! After I'm gone, I can laugh at you from where I am and maybe I'll live a much better life there!" Eun ha interlocks her hands and looks up to the sky in admiration. Making Jeonghan chuckle softly at her childish acts.

 

 

However Eun ha turns slowly to look at Jeonghan. Her eyes lowering in anguish as the curve of her smile bends downwards, a complete different expression to what she portrayed a few seconds ago. 

 

 

"You'll kill me won't you? You're the only one that can..." Eun ha pleads with a wounded look in her eyes. 

 

 


"A man keeps his promise," Jeonghan stands up as he places his hands in his pocket. 

 


"And also Detective..."

 

 

"Yes?" Jeonghan replies. 

 

 

"If you are truly as powerful as you assume to be...please save the others too." Eun ha smiles ruefully at Jeonghan. 

 


"The others?" 

 


"The other slaves..." She closes her eyes in agony, probably remembering the despair and torture she went through with the other slaves. 

 

 


 "I'll try my best," He looks at Eun ha for the last time and flashes a kind smile, " I'll see you soon."

 

 

"Goodbye Detective." Eun ha waves at the younger male as she watches him leave the room, not once turning back to give a reply. But she doesn't expect him to either. Because they both know, from the tip of the hair to the last of the toes, from the centre of their heart to the windows to their souls and the deepest memories to the new beginning. There was no turning back for both of them. 

 

 

-----------------

 

 

Seungcheol opens the white door to his apartment and catches a whiff of cooked dinner-probably chicken soup, he perceives. He closes the door after taking off his shoes and places them neatly by the doorstep, on a vintage shoe-rack. He could hear soft, familiar footsteps coming closer, but he feels no worry, in fact when slim arms wrap around his waist lovingly, he felt fatigue from the long day at work fade from every inch of his body. He turns and meets the dark orbs of his younger lover, who was now distracted by removing the scarf around his neck and helping Seungcheol rid of his long coat. 

 

 


"Busy day?" Jeonghan says sweetly after he hangs the coat and scarf by the door. He wraps his arms around Seungcheol's neck, bringing them closer together. The older male could feel the brunet's breathe on his lips and he can't help but to grin at his lover's adorable antics. Seungcheol circles his muscular arms around his lover's waist and closes the distance between them.

 

 

"Thanks to you." Seungcheol rests his head on Jeonghan's, allowing the other to lay on his chest. 

 

 

"...I'm sorry." Jeonghan replies hesitantly. He didn't know what he could say to Seungcheol. The older male told him specifically never to get involved yet Jeonghan's stubborn nature made it difficult for them to get along. 

 

 

"I let you off the previous time but you know rules are rules," Seungcheol continues with a heavy and deep voice. Jeonghan knew clearly what the other meant at this junction. The older male was a strict person and even towards his dearest beloved, some things never changed. 

 

 


"Give me the pass Jeonghan." Seungcheol releases Jeonghan and gives him the look that could freeze all pleas. On the other hand, the younger male could only sulk because he knew he could never go against the other male. Although he hoped that Seungcheol would have given him one more chance. 

 

 


Jeonghan heaves a deep sigh before walking to their shared bedroom. He returns to Seungcheol with his warrant card in his hand. Reluctantly, the younger male hands it over to his older lover. 

 

 

"You can't be a Detective and you know why. I thought by giving you this card could make you feel better but since you misused this, I can't let you hold on to it any further." Seungcheol says. 

 

 

Yes. Seungcheol was right. Jeonghan isn't a Detective, because he can't be. Seungcheol thought that by handing him a forged warrant card, it could lift Jeonghan's sprit. Although he never expected Jeonghan to actually use it. Technically it was illegal, but there has to be some exceptions to Seungcheol and Jeonghan is definitely one of them. 

 

 


Taking the warrant card, Seungcheol glances at Jeonghan, who's face had fallen and is now feeling utterly depressed. His eyes soften as his heart ache painfully, seeing his lover is sad. But rules are rules, Seungcheol mustn't play favourites. 

 

 


Cupping his face, Seungcheol raises Jeonghan's head and looks deeply into his eyes. 

 

 

"Hey, you know I'm doing this to protect you right? If the police knows of you, you can't be here anymore. Treasure your freedom now while it lasts." Seungcheol says in concern. 

 

 

Jeonghan was crestfallen when he heard this. Seungcheol made a point. It was not known to many but due to past issues, Jeonghan couldn't be a legalised psychic. Which meant that he couldn't even get a proper job because if he was known to the public for not being legalised, he would be captured and detained. You could say, this was exactly how it was like for psychics who weren't wanted by the society. Thankfully, he had Seungcheol to support him or he wouldn't know what he would do with his life. 

 

 


"I know...but it hurts that I'm so useless. I just wanted to help," Jeonghan chokes out his words, feeling his vision turn blurry.  

 

 

"I understand," Seungcheol raises his thumb to rub Jeonghan's eyes, removing the tears that were forming. "But I have the duty to protect you."

 

 


"I made a promise to Eun ha."

 

 

"The murderer? What's the matter this time?" Seungcheol narrows his eyes as he feels his heart sink. Jeonghan had the tendency to do whatever he felt like doing, most of the time this meant as a bad thing. And being his lover, Seungcheol always made it a point to stop his reckless lover whenever it gets too out of hand. 

 

 


"I promised I'll be the one to end her life..." Jeonghan says. 

 

 

"Jeonghan...she's a serial killer, the only route left for her is execution. There is no need for you to stain your hands..." Seungcheol sighs. 

 

 

"You don't understand...I'm the only one that can kill her."

 

 

"What? Why is that so?"

 

 

"She's already dead Seungcheol...she can't be killed with simple means. And if they can't kill her, they'll just lock her up forever. I'm the only one that can kill her."

 

 

"What do you mean she's already dead?" Seungcheol was dumbfounded. How can a  person that's clearly alive, be dead? That's just preposterous!

 

 

"She's has a extrasensory perception-immuno type B disorder," recalling what doekyum, his doctor once told him. 

 

 

"A complication from her powers?"  Seungcheol continues. 

 

 

"Yes...she's long dead Seungcheol. Her ESP has developed a strong instinct for survival that it continually protected her body from dying. She can't die...at least only by my hands." Jeonghan says determinedly to the older male in front of him. Hoping that he can change his mind soon. 

 

 


Seungcheol, however, returns with a hardened look that certainly meant no nonsense. "She's in the police's custody and as of today, the Supernatural Detective agency will not be involved in the Inju Serial murder case anymore. I'm sorry to say, but that promise will never be fulfilled."

 

 

Jeonghan jolted in surprise. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. 

 

 

"What? But Eun ha and I made a deal! And what do you mean by the supernatural Detective agency redrawing from this case! What about Ye Seul and all the crime lords that made Eun ha suffer so much?" Jeonghan exclaims at the unjust of it all. 

 

 

"Mafia has always been a territory the police avoided, especially one which have an army of psychic slaves at its hand. The police will most likely forsake the case...or it'll probably just end up as another cold case." Seungcheol replies with a guilt-ridden face. He couldn't bear to look at his lover, because he knew how upset the younger male was at the moment. Just looking at him would surely double the guilt. 

 

 

"But what about the other psychic slaves? Are we just gonna ignore their pleas?" Jeonghan slams Seungcheol onto the door and clutches his shirt tightly. Seungcheol winces slightly at the pain when his head made contact with the door harshly, but makes no remarks. 

 

 

"Seungcheol...please, don't let this one end like this." Jeonghan begs and looks at the other male's deep midnight eyes, hoping that his lover would give in to him. 

 

 


However, he sensed it coming. It will never go his way. 

 

 


"You know the procedure Jeonghan. That's how it's always been. Psychics will always be the trash of the society. No one spares them a second glance." Seungcheol says in quiet intensity, looking deep into the other's eyes in anguish. 

 

 

Then, Jeonghan knew. Just like all the other times. But even so, Jeonghan recalls what an old friend once told him. Suddenly, he felt so disappointed at Seungcheol who felt so little compassion for their kind. He just wanted to get out. Out of this suffocating place. And maybe into the arms of his old friend, but he knows it's no longer possible. 

 


"Joshua would never have said that." Jeonghan spats in disdain. He pushes the door open and runs off, not turning around even once when he hears Seungcheol worried calls. 

 


-----------------

 

"Why do you think humans and psychics are so similar?"  

 


Jeonghan could hear Joshua's voice ringing in his head. He hopes it will never end but soon the voice becomes softer and the ringing stops. All he could hear now was the cold night wind swaying the trees and the chirping sounds of insects hiding in the bushes. It was always never enough. He wants to hear more of Joshua's voice. But it's okay, Jeonghan thinks. 

 

 


Jeonghan didn't need to hear the answer to that question. Because he knew it by heart at this point already. 

 

 

"Because we can learn to love..." Jeonghan's voice trails off unconsciously, as if he had said this statement a million times already.  

 

 


"...Joshua...what should I do..." Jeonghan lets out muffles whisper. Sitting on a bench in a park at midnight was definitely not a good way to steam off but Jeonghan needed some space. Probably not from Seungcheol, but from all the pain that came with being a psychic. 

 

 

Psychics were the minorities and that being said, humans who hate the other race never make it easy for their survival. It was always kill or be killed. Maybe that's why countries are still at war. Maybe not here in South Korea, but always somewhere. But that didn't mean there was peace here either, because there were mafias. Psychics will not be protected by the police neither will the mafia have mercy on them. Even with psychics coming out to contribute to the society by joining the army or being a supernatural Detective, the truth still remains. 

 

 

"Do we not even have the rights to protect the only thing we were given-our lives?" Jeonghan asks desperately to no one in particular. Even so, he hopes so dearly that someone-anyone- can answer him. Why did psychics have to be born? Live a terribly and unfair life before dying off in the worst case possible. Like Eun ha. 

 

 

"...how do I help Eun ha now..." Jeonghan chokes on his words as tears stream down and drops unceremoniously on his lap. It was hopeless. Jeonghan had no way to fulfil his promise with Eun ha and he can't see anyone who would help him. Maybe Soonyoung... But he was probably scared witless by Seungcheol already. 

 

 

"No...I have to stop relying on others..." Jeonghan looks up to the dark sky, glancing at the stars that were shining brilliantly.

 


"The stars are beautiful when your eyes are clear..."

 

 

"Joshua's right...I can't keep on crying. Something needs to be done."

 

----------------

 

Eun ha was currently still detained in the police station. Even so, security is tight especially with CCTV cameras installed at every nook and corner of this place. Jeonghan couldn't afford to let himself be captured once or his freedom will surely be taken away from him. Especially so because he wasn't a legalised psychic. That being said, Jeonghan needed to take all kinds of precaution. 

 


Wearing a black turtleneck and long black jeans pants, Jeonghan wraps his face with a full mask and a hat to hide his hair, along with a few short blades hanging around his waist for easy use. Thankfully, he was able to cover his face and still allow maximum vision and mobility. He knows what he is doing is a fool's game. But if nothing was to be done, justice would never be served to the psychic slaves. And that was the last thing Jeonghan wanted to happen. 

 

 

Picking up a few bandages, he wraps them skilfully around his hands before putting on a dark-coloured glove so that his fingerprints would not be carelessly exposed. Picking up the sneakers, Jeonghan puts them on and rotates his ankles. Standing up, he stretches himself thoroughly before turning around to meet the concern gaze of his Best Friend. 

 

 

"Trust me Minghao..." Jeonghan says cooly. 

 

 

"How am I when you're trying to break in to a police station?!" Minghao says in a tone that was walking on thin thread between incredulity and wrath. 

 

 


"I have to do this, can't you support me this time round?" Jeonghan pouts. 

 

 

"No sane person would say yes," Minghao sighs in annoyance," however thankfully, I'm not one of them."

 

 

"Knew you would understand!" Jeonghan replies cheerfully. 

 


Minghao stares at the older male for a while with an unreadable expression. "...should I help?" 

 

 

"What? No!" Jeonghan gasps in horror. 

 

 

"But it's dangerous...I don't feel safe if it's just you."

 

 

"Well, I'm perfectly fine. I got this." Jeonghan turns away and picks up a few other longer blades from the shelf. He looks at one of the curved blades intently, which was carved with a dragon and the hilt wrapped with a crimson cloth. He pockets them after considering for a while. 

 

 


Giving a long and hard glance at his older Best Friend, he crosses his arms and thinks deeply. Taking a deep breathe, Minghao stands up from the armchair he was sitting on making the other male glance in his direction. 

 

 

"No. I'm coming," Minghao says determinedly as he walks to the closet and picks out a few covered clothes for himself as well. 

 

 

"Wait wait wait, I'm not agreeing," Jeonghan pauses. 

 

 


"You don't have to. Take it or strip."

 


Minghao's forwardness makes Jeonghan frown slightly. Couldn't the other male understand why he didn't want him involved?

 

 

"It's dangerous Minghao..." 

 

 

"It won't be if I'm there." Minghao replies in a voice that could slice grass. 

 

 

"Well,true, with your precognition the dangers are reduced," Jeonghan finds himself agreeing halfway. 

 


"But no means no! What if you get hurt!" Jeonghan hisses. 

 

 

"But I won't. You'll protect me won't you?" Minghao smiles. 

 

 

"It's not fair if you say it that way..."

 

--------------

 

"Seungcheol, I think you need to see this." Jihoon points to the television in incredulity. 

 

 

"What? I'm busy-"

 

 

"Breaking news. A police station just got breached last night by two males, most like psychics with matured ESPs. It seems like their target was Min Eun ha, the Inju serial killer and came with the sole intent to kill her. The injured count is-"

 


Seungcheol couldn't believe his ears. All he could think of was one person. Jeonghan. 

 

 

"."