No One

BiHi One-Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Synopsis: A song-fic based off of her title song, No One.

Every couple goes through it's ups and downs, especially when it comes to the timing of things. Or how some might put it, things change and the parties involved might have drifted a part. Hayi and Hanbin thought they were unstoppable but as they matured as adults, life got in the way and took a toll on what they had. When life happens, missing someone can be the hardest thing to go through. 

Anyone there?
Is there anyone to hold onto me?
Even as I look around I can’t find anyone
Where are you?
Is there anyone who’ll take me?
I can’t stand this anymore
Please come to me

It was one of those nights for her. She could feel the restlessness grow throughout her entire being with her thoughts constantly running. A part of her was saying that it was the best, but now that it had been almost two years since she moved from Korea to Los Angeles to further her career as a fashion designer, Lee Hayi didn’t know what to think about anymore. She had fallen in love with the city when she visited her good friend, Lydia Paek. The older woman was her senior when she was in college within their department and Hayi was invited to her wedding as one of her bridesmaids. But now that Hayi was living out her dream, she was unsure if it was actually what she wanted.

The frustration she felt was becoming too overwhelming for her so Hayi threw her covers away and sighed. She made her way towards the kitchen and poured a glass of wine for herself as she eyed the time. It was two in the morning and the city was still bustling with life as she stepped out onto the balcony with the glass in hand. Taking a sip, she savored the crisp fruity flavor of the drink and let her eyes wandered down towards the people below her. Hayi leaned against the railing as she slowly swirled her drink. She spotted a couple who was walking down her block and they were drunkenly playing around with each other, acting as kids. Her eyes softened as her gaze moved towards the ring that sat on her finger. The rose gold band sat snug on it and a look of fondness came upon her face as she admired the simple jeweled cherry blossom that sat on top of it. Hayi could only take another gulp of her wine as the heavy feeling in her chest grew deeper.

‘Hanbin-ah…’

The same path under the same moonlit sky
We’ll probably end up falling asleep at the same place
Now I want to be with someone
I want to get rid of this loneliness
I don’t wanna be alone anymore

Hayi nervously bit her lip as she fidgeted around in her seat. Today was the day that she was going to tell him the big news that she received earlier that week. Her company had chosen her to be the representative for an upcoming clothing line in collaboration with Fenty and she was to live in Los Angeles until the project was finished. The downside of the ordeal was that she was going to stay there for two years, but the rational side had been telling her that it was the place to get connections and further her career so there was the option of extending her stay for who knows how long. Her mind was occupied throughout the week on figuring out a way to break the news to Hanbin, but she constantly drew a blank.

She scrunched up her nose and tried to calm herself down by taking in a deep breath. The time on her phone indicated that he would appear any minute now and she could feel her heartbeat quicken. The nerves were multiplying and when she felt him wrap his arms around her from behind, she slightly jumped and looked at him in surprise.

“Oh, you’re here.” She said as he smiled down at her and kissed her on the cheek.

“I am, so what did you want to tell me?” He asked as he smiled in thanks when she slid his cup of coffee towards him and the slice of tiramisu cake.

Hayi took her time to admire his handsome features. The both of them had met during their time at university and she smiled to herself as she realized that he had matured in all the right ways for the three years they had been together. Tightening her grip around coffee she finally told him.

“I got the job, you know the one that I told you about that was up in the air? They told me that they wanted me to be their representative on Monday.”

His eyes lightened up in delight as he heard the news and he grabbed her hand to squeeze it. She looked down at their linked hands and squeezed it back.

“I’m happy for you. I know how much you’ve been wanting this.” He said as he lifted up her hand and kissed the top of it.

She smiled sadly and replied, “But…I have to move to LA for about two years. It depends on how long we’ll need to complete it.”

Knock knock, anyone there?
(Knock knock, I’m here, knock knock right there)
Anyone there?
(Knock knock where are you?)
Respond to me
Anyone there?

There was a pause in their conversation as she let him digest the information that was just given to him. Hayi searched his eyes as he sat there in shock and tried to gather himself. He met her gaze and breathed in deeply. The happy atmosphere that was around them was short lived as it changed to a more somber mood.

“Do you know when you’re leaving?”

She looked down and played with her fingers as the words of her boss echoed through her head. Without looking at him she said in a tiny voice, “I leave next week…”

“But…but what about us?” he asked as the two of them began to let their thoughts take over them.

The both of them were overthinkers and Hayi looked up to see that his body language was the same as hers. They had never been separated for that long and it was going to be long distance. They loved each other sincerely and fiercely, but there was still the question that the both of them had. Would they be able to last no matter what got in their way or the distance?

Hanbin and Hayi gazed at each other and there was a mental agreement between them. He smiled and kissed her hand once more to reassure her that things were going to be okay. His job as a composer had shot through the roof throughout the month and he was getting busier as well. With Hayi’s schedule being the more flexible one, they were able to work out time to be together. Trying to make the mood around them lighter, Hanbin leans forward and smiles at her, tenderly pushing a couple of stray strands of hair behind her ear.

“So how would you like to spend this upcoming week together, I’m still in the early stages of composing so I’m all yours.”

She gave him a thankful smile as she tried to hold her tears back and leaned into his touch. Enjoying his comforting touch Hayi simply said, “I just want to spend all my time with you.”

I don’t know
I don’t know
I don’t know
Where the heck are you?
I don’t know
I don’t know
I don’t know
I don’t care about

The first couple of months once Hayi was away, the two of them were still going strong. They made sure to text each other every day and squeeze in whatever time they could to FaceTime in order to see each other’s faces. Hanbin had managed to fly out a couple of times, using the excuse that he needed inspiration for the songs he was composing. He’d stay for a weekend before flying back home to Seoul, but the goodbyes never got easier.

As it got deeper and a year had passed, both of them were buried deep in their work and didn’t have as much time for each other as they had in the beginning. The time difference was taking a toll on them and overall time was just not in their favor at the time. Both of them were beginning to drift apart and it showed during one of his visits. She had tried to spend more time with him, but she and the team that she was working with were at the peak of their creative work. Hanbin was busy as well, for he had built connections through a couple of his friends from university that now lived K-Town. He would go to the studio they had while she was away at the office and Hayi would always be asleep by the time he had gotten home vice versa for when they’d wake up. Hayi would be the first one to wake up and she’d be out the door by the time Hanbin would wake up.

Before he left, they sat down to talk and as much as they didn’t want to admit it, it had to be done. The couple decided it was time for a break because they were so focused on their own personal goals. They naturally grew apart, but the love they had for each other was still there. It was a part of life and when she had seen him off, they had one final kiss before he left.

Anyone over there?
What should I do as I long for you
Falling asleep without you is always a struggle
Without even lingering by my side
Where are you off to in such a rush?

Hanbin groaned as the blaring sound of his alarm went off. In a sleepy daze he shut the alarm off, and his arm naturally reached out for the empty space beside him. As he felt the cold sheets, he slowly opened his eyes and sadly gazed at the side of the bed that was specially reserved for her. Returning back to Korea after all that had happened to them was still tough on him. He was still frustrated that he allowed them to fall through like that. Hayi meant the world to him, but it was only after they wrapped things up between them had he realized just how much he was in a grey area.

Flopping onto his back, Hanbin stared at the ceiling as his mind thought back to the time that they were in university. She was his muse. They had met through their mutual friend, Bobby during their first year and once he laid eyes on her, his breath had been taken away. She was beautiful and once they had gotten to know each other, he knew th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter