Why Me?! [dedicated to maixee]

BiHi One-Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Synopsis: Never in her wildest dreams would Lee Hayi have guessed that she would receive two love confessions on the same day. One came from her childhood friend and the other from one of her closest friends. She's thrown into frustration and confusion as she sorts out who should she accept. Just who will she end up with in the end?

“How did I end up with this situation?”

Hayi laid her head on top of her arm as she sprawled herself over her desk. A pout was evident on her face as she helplessly gazed at the two letters sitting in front of her. Both were found in her locker after school and she had a good hunch from who they were from. Annoyance coursed through her body as she frustratingly ruffled her hair and pushed herself away from her desk. Getting up from her chair, she threw herself onto her bed and buried her face into her pillow.

I don’t know. I seriously don’t know what to do. Why did it have to be me out of all people?!

Kicking her legs to try and let go of some of the frustration that was building up within her, Hayi let out a whine as her mind flashed back to when school ended. She had just said goodbye to Jennie and Chaeyoung as they split ways from their math class and made her way towards her locker. Automatically inputting her code to unlock her locker, Hayi went on auto-mode as she gazed through the labels on her notebooks and textbooks to see what she needed. Mentally going through her classes that she’d have the next day, she began to stuff the necessary things into her locker. Something caught her attention as two small white envelopes fell from the top of the rack she had inside to keep things organized. Hayi tilted her head in curiosity as she grabbed them and furrowed her eyes in confusion.

What’s this? Ah, I’ll just check it on my way home.

Shrugging it off, Hayi slipped both envelopes into the pocket of her blazer before taking one more look at her backpack to make sure she had everything. Once she was set, Hayi let out a happy sigh as she closed her locker shut. The hallways were crowded with students everywhere. Club members were going through the hallways as they made their way to their designated classrooms. Students that were hanging with their friends hung around at the front of the school, cafeteria, or around campus right by the vending machines. As she made her way to the front, Hayi said bye to her friends that needed to stay behind due to their extracurricular activities. A wide smile came upon her face as she spotted a group of boys that were in her friend group and waved at them as she passed.

“Yah, Lee Hayi make sure you bring those cookies for us tomorrow! You made a promise!”

Scoffing, she playfully rolled her eyes and waved her hand dismissively. “I said, I would make you guys cookies, I never said when I’d make them for you! It looks like the decision rests on if I’m in the mood to, Kim Jinhwan!”

The rest of the guys laughed as Hayi continued her way towards the bus stop. She shook her head in amusement as she walked farther away from them while waving.

“Get home safe, Hayi-ah! Don’t talk to strangers!”

“Text us once you get home, alright?”

Laughing at their overprotectiveness, Hayi gave them the okay sign before boarding the bus that had just come up. Hayi swiped her bus pass before taking a seat by the window and set her backpack on the empty seat beside her. As the bus went on its way, she laughed to herself as she saw her guy friends wave like little kids and watched until they couldn’t see each other anymore.

“I swear those guys are so childish, especially Hanbin-ah and Jiwon-oppa. As if I’d talk to strangers and what’s Hanbin thinking?” Hayi muttered to herself as she set her head against the window and looked at the outside world that whirled by.

“It’s not like he’s my boyfriend or anything…why does he want me to text him once I get home? Aish, that guy.”

Some time passed and Hayi fumbled in her pockets for her earphones since she was growing bored of just staring at the window. Her hand grazed against the letters and she snapped in realization. Ah that’s right, the letters! Hayi took out the two small envelopes and set them in her lap. Tilting her head in curiosity, she opened the first letter and disbelief spread throughout her face as she read its contents.

Hayi-ah,

You didn’t expect this from me, didn’t you?
Ah…this is pretty embarrassing of me, but I just can’t hold it in anymore.
We’ve known each other since our mothers introduced each other to us.
You’ve had my back and I’ve had yours for the longest time.
A lot of people may say that we’re inseparable.
I’m not going to lie, but I just didn’t want to be an ‘oppa’ to you.
You were so adorable the first time we met that I knew I would soon be falling for you.
Low and behold, the feelings that I warned myself not to grow inevitably came to be.
It doesn’t help that I’m close to my rival and we’ve both been debating for a while.
I guess you can say this was the push that I needed?
Anyways, I bet by now you’ve realized that I’ve wanted to tell you.
Lee Hayi, I like you.
I hope this doesn’t affect the relationship we have now, but please do give me an answer.
It may sound quick, but I’d rather face it quickly.
Meet me tomorrow before school in the music room with your answer.
I’ll be waiting for you.

Sincerely, Jiwon-oppa

Her jaw dropped as her eyes rescanned the words that were neatly written on the page and felt blush slowly creep onto her cheeks. A rosy red color could be seen on her pale skin as the message finally processed in her mind.

“He has feelings for me?! Ah, what should I do, what to do?!” Hayi hissed to herself as she bit her bottom lip.

Their relationship went all the way back to their childhood. The two first met each other through their mothers because they were best friends. Jiwon and his mother had visited her and her family one summer when she was just seven years old. They had just moved into the same neighborhood as Hayi after living in the US. His parents had recently gotten a divorce and Jiwon chose to stick with his mother and her decision to move back to the motherland. She was a really shy kid and had immediately hid behind her mother’s leg when she opened the door to greet her best friend. Jiwon, with his outgoing personality, had immediately laid his eyes on Hayi when the door opened and waved excitedly at her. He was the first to take initiative and introduced himself. Ever since that fated day, the two had been inseparable. They had promised to each other to always stick by each other no matter what happened.

Both of them could say that each were their foundations when they didn’t have anyone else to lean on. Jiwon was the one who taught her how to ride a bike when her parents were too busy with work to teach her. Hayi was the one that helped Jiwon bake cookies for a girl he had feelings for in middle school for White Day. They each knew of each other’s favorites and knew their personalities like the back of their hands. Both helped each other in school and talked to each other about anything. Even their mothers had hoped that the two would someday fall in love and Jiwon’s mother had always lectured him of making sure that he always looked after Hayi.

Hayi sighed to herself as thoughts began to cloud her mind and put the letter back in its envelope. Putting Jiwon’s letter back in the pocket of her blazer, an intuition began to grow within her as she lifted the second letter and read the name written on it. The nickname was a dead giveaway of who it was from and Hayi prayed to God that it wasn’t another confession letter. With her nose scrunched, Hayi took out the letter and read through it.

Yah, Taiga.

This really isn’t my thing, but somehow you got me writing this.
I don’t know when. I don’t know how this happened.
But it did.
I hope I was the first person to reach you about this matter, so let me just say it.
Lee Hayi, you are the girl I like.
Remember a couple weeks ago I asked you on your opinion about how I should confess to the girl I like and then you wouldn’t stop bugging me about who she was?
It was you.
The girl that had the smile that could bright up anyone’s day.
The girl that manages to give me energy whenever the lectures drain me.
Just one look at your face and I’ll be alright again.
The girl that you said you would have to talk to before she would get to be with me was you.
It was a dead giveaway of my feelings for you whenever I teased you, but I guess your obliviousness adds to the adorable charm that managed to get me to fall for you.
So with that being said, care to meet me at lunch tomorrow at the school’s garden?
I know it’s sudden, but I just need to know your answer now that I’ve let everything out.
I’m looking forward to your answer, Hayi-ah.

From, Hanbin-ah.

Closing her eyes, Hayi let her arms drop into her lap as she leaned her head back and slumped in her seat. She really couldn’t believe what was happening to her at the moment. Never in her mind would she have thought that Hanbin and Jiwon would grow feelings for her. Within their group of friends, they had always shown to have things for girls that were much prettier and outgoing than her. In her opinion, she had always thought that Hanbin would end up with Jennie with their constant interactions as the captains of the dance club. From her own observations, Jiwon had looked pretty close with Jisoo and Suhyun so she had always secretly rooted for him to get at one of them.

Biting her lip, she sat back up and looked at Hanbin’s letter once more. Hayi couldn’t believe that Hanbin had actually written a letter for her. He had always told her that he was never the mushy type and he preferred the straightforward approach. The two had become close ever since they were seat mates in their homeroom freshman year. Hanbin had this playful aura around him that made Hayi comfortable with him. He was always the one that would easily bring out her snarky attitude that she got from her mother and always acted very caring towards her. Whenever their friends would sit together at lunch, the two would always be playfully arguing or teasing each other over the littlest things. It was a usual sight amongst their friends and the school had begun to ship them together. She would often call him Ryuuji while he would call her Taiga as a reference to their favorite anime, Toradora. They had ended up binge watching the whole series together over their winter break while working on their performing arts project together.

Hanbin was someone whose company she enjoyed having. Whenever the two would hangout after school, there would never be a dull moment when she was with him. He knew how to make her laugh and even though their opinions would clash from time to time, it created a healthy competition between them. They often made bets with funny punishments that would accompany as their wagers. Their hangouts were something that Hayi often looked forward to since it was a great way to clear her mind besides going on walks with her pet dog.

Hayi sighed to herself as the bus slowly came to a stop and she trudged down the steps before slipping the letter into her pocket. Jinhwan’s words rang through her mind as she spotted the neighborhood market in front of her. The idea of making cookies seemed like a good idea to keep her mind off of the shocking letters she had received. As she entered the market and grabbed a basket in order to put the ingredients, Hayi let her mind wander. She didn’t know how to deal with the situation. Jiwon and Hanbin were two of her closest friends and it didn’t help that they were each other’s best friends as well. There some points in her relationships with them that she had seen them as young men. But since she was busy with her personal goals, she had often suppressed those feelings because her father’s words would always ring in her head as a reminder to herself.

“Falling in love is inevitable when your mind begins to mature as you enter high school. There will be crushes and fresh relationships, but also keep in mind that there’s time for that after you succeed in yourself.”

She knew her father was just looking out for her and there were truth in his words. As she searched within herself of what she felt towards the two, Hayi’s frustration began to grow even more. The two were definitely attractive since they were considered some of the hottest guys in their school. But Hayi knew that it shouldn’t just be about physical attraction. People at her age usually mistake physical attraction as emotional feelings and Hayi wanted to be certai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter