Only Look at Me

BiHi One-Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Double update, go back!

Synopsis: Hanbin comforts Hayi when she needs it the most. It was a matter of timing and coincidence that he had found her on her own. Seeing her not being her usual self, he was determined to make her smile again.

A lone figure sat at the corner of the café by the window. The distant sound of thunder rumbled through the sky as the rain began to pour down harder and the people outside began to duck for cover. The neighborhood café wasn’t that crowded with only the regulars scattered throughout the floor. Music was playing softly in the background as the woman working the register rang up the change for the customer that had just completed their order. Brown eyes blankly stared at the people that passed by as the figure laid her head against the window. It felt as if the skies were crying along with her as her chest felt heavy after the conversation she just had. She didn’t know how to react. Throughout her freshman year in university, this was the most she’s done out of her comfort zone. Biting her bottom lip, she sighed to herself before taking a sip of her now cold coffee. The bitter taste filled her taste buds as she leaned back against her chair.

Well, at least I tried. She thought to herself as her mind played back to thirty minutes earlier.

Hayi nervously looked at the sky as she stepped out of her dorm. Suhyun wished her good luck just as she closed the door and began her way to town square. It was D-Day for Hayi to do the number one thing on her checklist as a freshman: confess to your crush. She didn’t think she would fall for anyone so quickly, but with their first year coming to an end, Hayi thought it would be a good idea to just go for it. But now that she was literally on her way, doubts filled her mind as she played with the umbrella in her hand. Saying a mental prayer that it wouldn’t rain that day, she hurriedly made her way to the café that all the university students visited during finals. A smile came onto her face as she saw one of her close seniors working at the register.

“Chaerin, I didn’t know you were working today.” Hayi greeted as her eyes scanned the menu.

The older woman scrunched up her nose and shrugged. “I wasn’t supposed to, but Minho caught the flu. I was supposed to be meeting up with Jiyong, but I’m stuck here for another hour or so.”

Both of them laughed and Hayi decided to go for an Americano. As she was getting out the money to pay, Chaerin stopped her and winked. “It’s on the house. I got to treat my favorite junior once in a while. Just take a seat and I’ll give it to you.”

The latter smiled gratefully and took her usually seat at the corner of the café. It was the perfect place to be secluded but also people watch. It was something that Hayi enjoyed doing while waiting for people or when there was nothing else to do. The table was right by the café’s miniature library and music player, which Hayi thought was perfect just for her. As she took a seat, she rubbed her palms against her lap to calm her jitters. It was only ten minutes before they were supposed to meet, but her heart was already beating quickly. Hayi glanced at her reflection in the mirror and contemplated whether or not she was too dressed up for the occasion. Suhyun had helped her put together an outfit together that they thought suited her meeting: a black trench coat with a white button down tucked into her blue, ripped jeans and black ankle-heeled boots. She even put on a little more makeup than usual to impress the guy and wore her hair down, just the way he liked it.

Chaerin had set down her cup of coffee as the door to the café opened and someone walked in. They both turned their attention to the new customer as he headed towards them with a smile on his face. He ran a hand through his hair since it had gotten disheveled for rushing over there in order to beat the rain. Hayi thanked Chaerin for the coffee as he took a seat in front of her and Chaerin raised an eyebrow at this. The young man settled himself as Hayi smiled sheepishly and she asked what he would like.

“A café latte would be fine, thank you.” He replied.

As soon as Chaerin finished writing down his order, she left to go prepare it. Hayi sighed in relief that she didn’t question her but then tried to stifle a laugh as Chaerin motioned behind the guy sitting in front her that he was hot. “So why did you want to meet me here, Hayi-ah?” he asked.

Her attention was back to the person sitting in front of her and she laughed nervously. “Ah, I just needed to talk to you about something Bobby.”

The nerves were taking over as he looked at her expectantly and she gripped her mug. She didn’t expect herself to fall for her senior, but they got along when the head of their department paired them together as partners for the university’s charity event. Bobby was one of the most sought out guys at the university and she was lucky enough to be friends with him. He had an easygoing personality and always made her laugh whenever they hung out after their classes. The more they spent time with each other, the more her little crush had grown. Now here she was sitting in front of him about to confess.

“What is it that you wanted to say?” he asked as Chaerin set down his drink.

“We’ve grown close, don’t you think?” she started.

He nodded his head as the grip on her cup tightened and he seemed to be searching her face. She met his gaze before looking down at his drink and continued. “Since the school year is ending and we probably won’t see each other until fall, I just wanted to say that I like you.”

His eyes widened as her words finally processed in his head. Hayi could feel her cheeks grow warm as she coughed to break the silence between them. She looked down as she took a sip out of her Americano and sighed to herself. “I understand if you don’t feel the same way. I had just wanted to get it off my chest before you flew back home.”

Bobby smiled softly and looked at her apologetically. He took a sip of his own drink before taking her hand in his. “I’m thankful that you have grown feelings for me Hayi-ah. Trust me when I say that you’re a beautiful young woman, but you’re like a little sister to me. We’ve definitely grown close and I’m glad to call you one of my closest friends.”

Hayi sighed to herself and nodded understandingly. She had a feeling that this was how things were going to turn out. Bobby was flying back home for the entire summer and if they had gotten together by chance, it wouldn’t have worked out due to the time zones and long distance. As much as she did like him, she knew that he was out of her league. He was one of the popular students while she was just a little bit above the average student. Hayi pursed her lips and suggested that he just stay for a bit longer. Since there was time before his next class, the two had agreed to hang out and move on from her sudden confession.

Hayi pushed her cup aside and began to bang her head against the table. She knew she shouldn’t let her rejection get the best of her, but the weather and turn of events didn’t help her mood. Her crush on Bobby was the strongest she felt for someone in a long time. Boys weren’t usually in her to-do list, but when they do pop up; her feelings will grow stronger until she does something about them. A groan left her lips as she stopped banging her head and simply rested on her cheek. She didn’t think that the rejection was going to affect her that much as she pouted to herself. Even if it was a short and understanding conversation, getting turned down was always a sensitive subject for her.

Being stuck in her thoughts, Hayi didn’t notice someone sit down right in front of her. He had spotted the damsel in distress and knew that she needed company. He knew she would never sit like that unless something was on her mind. Since he had already ordered his drink, he rested his head on top of his palm as his elbow rested on the table. He watched as Hayi muttered to herself and began to bang her head on the table once more. Chuckling to himself, he slid his hand underneath her forehead so she wouldn’t continue hurting herself. Once Hayi noticed that her head hit something off, she finally looked up to see Hanbin looking at her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter