The Curse

Is Not Even a Bad Luck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ticking clock sounded distinctive in your ear. Every person in the room stayed quiet until N finally spoke up by giving you a question, “So, do you want to say something, or asking me before I explain?”

Not being able to think clearly, your eyes just remained fixed to the ground. There are too many questions you were going to ask, but everything in your mind just getting you bewildered and of course, aghast. You had seen it, all of the cold-blooded assassination right in front of your eyes. You just hated that feeling, creeping over your body and sent shivers down to your spine.

“Well…” you suddenly spoke. You knew it hurts you so much to recall those horrible events, but your curiosity grown even bigger and you finally gave it up by letting out a heavy sigh, and started to explain what happened a moment ago. After you explained, you told them that you just met Leo.

“Wait, you met him? How was it possible?” Hyuk gasped in disbelief.

“He came to my sister’s apartment by himself. I don’t even know how he was able to find someone who was still alive. He was in a death agony—body drenched in blood, and I could see gaping wound on one of his shoulders, and there was some kind of blue veins around the wound—and I was going to help him but he said ‘No’ and he just told me about ‘the curse’. Not long after that, he suddenly acted weird. He was laughing maniacally and he was about to strangle me as if his pain was gone and gaining strength out of nowhere. Fortunately, I escaped. This really bothers me; I’m always wondering whether he became like that was actually the curse, or it might be the same just like what happened to Hongbin-ssi?”

“Hmm… a maniac and blue veins. Are those what he means about the transformation?” Ravi mumbled to himself.

“What? What do you mean about transformation?”

“Well, maybe it’s time to reveal our darkest secret…”

 

│March, 2012 │

It was the beginning of the spring season. Everything felt nice; the weather was warm, cherry blossoms started to bloom, their pinkish petals fell off from the branches spreading their sweet scents all over the place. Smiles were carved on people’s face that day. It was a perfect day for family outings and having a good time with relatives and friends, except for one-good looking-young man.

He was sitting on the park bench. He took the furthest bench from the people who were having picnics at there. He didn’t want anyone to bother him, and seeing people enjoying their life really made him upset.

 

Woo Minjae.

 

He couldn’t get rid of that name. His name, the one who made his life had fallen into crisis. No, not yet, but soon enough before he could prepare his heart. That conversation he just had still remained in his mind that he didn’t believe that it was already happening, the day that his life will be ruined just by a statement which he hoped he wouldn’t hear from the CEO.

“Guys, I heard there will be a member change, because CEO-nim has recruited a new kid.” N suddenly rushed into the practice room while telling the other members who are still practicing then stopped abruptly by his statement.

“What? Another new member?” Ken asked him. “If it just a new kid, why do you seem really shocked by that? Isn’t it good to having a new member?”

“You clearly didn’t get what I meant, Ken.” N scoffed. “I said there will be a member change. Don’t you remember about Mydol?”

“It’s a whole different thing, hyung,” Ravi said. “Mydol was a survival program, we’ve been through all of the hard work and we successfully maintained our positions here.  I’m sure CEO won’t spend his money on such a stupid program anymore.”

“Or, he’s really sure not to spend his money on talentless trainee who doesn’t make more money for him.” N added sarcastically. “It means somebody has to get kicked out.”

“You’re kidding me,” Leo said in disbelief. He recalled the hard times he had been through in his Mydol days. He was already done with it, and he didn’t want to say any more goodbyes to his friends with whom he already bonds friendships.

“Um, I’m sorry for asking this, but do you know who will be taken out?” Hyuk asked cautiously. He felt rather guilty when he recalled his first day joining Mydol. He was a freshman who became trainee for about a year, yet he could beat other trainees—who had been trained for more than two years—. Those trainees were best friends with rest of the members and he was the one who caused them to separate.

“Well, I don’t have any idea about that. CEO-nim just small talked me and he needed to go somewhere else before I asked him.” N shrugged and then he added, “Oh, before he left, he told me that there will be evaluation in mid-April. So, all members should prepare something.”

“So… it begins again.” Ravi heavily sighed. He already fed up with the CEO’s decision and he knew he couldn’t do anything, and so are the rest of the members.

“It could be one of us then. Even if it seems impossible yet we have to show our best performance and hoping that CEO-nim would call off his decision.”

 

“Huh, do you think he would give it up? How ridiculous.” He laughed bitterly. He knew he was likely became the most suitable candidate to get kicked out from the company. He remembered what the CEO told him. And, he couldn’t get rid of it until this day.

 

“Look, I don’t want to say this to you but honestly, you’re good looking but you can’t sing.”

 

His face was boiled red every time he thought about his words. He should be grateful for the CEO who still let him join the group. Nonetheless, he hates it so much. It seemed that the CEO chose him because of his looks, not his talent.

“Hongbin hyung!” somebody called his name.

He turned his head to see a young fine man with a chestnut hair trotted from the café not far from where he sat. As soon as he arrived, he handed his hyung a cup of warm latte he just bought.

“Ah, thanks Minjae-ah.” Hongbin thanked him and giving him a smile. “It must be really hard waiting for your turn. I see a really long line up there.”

“It’s not a big problem, hyung. As long as I could make it for Hongbin hyung, it doesn’t matter at all. Hongbin hyung is the one who helping me a lot.” Minjae answered cheerily.

“Oh, is that so?” Hongbin asked in astonishment.

“Yeah, it is. Honestly, I think I just couldn’t get along with the other members pretty well except Hongbin hyung. I just feel less awkward when I’m with hyung and… Hongbin hyung is always there when I need help and you’re the one who really takes care of me.”

“Glad to hear that,” Hongbin smiled while he reached out for a handshake. “So, let’s be friends?”

“Friends…” Minjae mumbled as his eyes locked at Hongbin’s hand. It took awhile for him to return the handshake until he realized that Hongbin was staring at him and still waiting for him to shake his hand.

Minjae finally took Hongbin’s hand and he shook it while a bright smile was carved on his lips.

Friends, huh?

Let’s see if we’re gonna make it until our debut.

 

│April, 2012│

Tears dripping down from his face.

His heart was flooded with sadness, rage, and a sense of injustice.

Devastated, by how his life gives him such an unfair fate while a bleak future was already waiting for him.

No, this is not what I want.

I’ve been practicing harder and pushed off my limit, but why? Why I couldn’t make any difference?

CEO words hit him so bad and it got him traumatized as if he got a terrible déjà vu. Again, he got the same response, but this time, he got a lot of worse; he was jeopardized and his career was at stake if he didn’t make any progress in the next and last evaluation—which would settle whether he would still in the group or kicked out from the company.

But after all, the CEO was right. He realized that he wasn’t better than the new kid or even the whole groups. Nevertheless, he didn’t want to lose his dream job which is the only one he could rely on.

I still got the time until the next evaluation.

Am I going able to talk to him?


12:00 AM

“Aish, who the hell call me in this hour?” Minjae’s cell phone rang while he was still sleeping. He sat down on his bed and still with his half-closed eyes, he checked his cell phone. He squinted from the brightness

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter