Children and Conversations

A Healthy Cup of Crazy

Irene wakes up from the commotion in the living room. She really shouldn't be sleeping on the job, especially since she's babysitting her future girlfriend's (she can dream, okay?) baby sister and her friends, but school's been a lately and she's stayed up late last night and the nights prior, to finish up the things she procrastinated on. Ever so thankful for the invention of the device called television, Irene closes her eyes to try to get back some sleep.

That is until she realizes the commotion is actually a conversation. Irene strains her ears to listen without getting up from the comforts of the cot at the open back porch to listen to whatever the little tykes are up to.

"Cover your eyes!" shrieked little Eunha as she brings her hands over hers. "They're kissing!"

"But why?" asks SinB innocently.

"Just 'cause."

Dahyun and Umji peek a bit from their tiny fingers as they follow Eunha. "Is it over?" Umji asks.

"Yup," SinB replies.

"I don't get it," says Vernon. "What's wrong with kissing?"

"Well my mom always makes me cover my eyes when there's kissing on the TV so it must be bad," explains Eunha.

"It can't be wrong if they show it on TV. My brother told me TV peoples have guild lines or something. Like rulers and stuff," Vernon says.

"It is so!" replies Eunha.

"Nuh-uh," retorts Vernon.

"Yeah-uh," says Eunha.

"Even the priest says 'You may kiss the bride' on weddings," pipes in Lisa. "So, yeah-uh."

"Kissing isn't bad then," concludes Vernon.

"But..." Eunha says, a little dejectedly.

When no more words followed their little debate and was replaced with the high pitched screams of Timmy Turner, Irene decides to get up and get them some snacks. It was about time, anyway. She makes sure to sneak carefully in so as not to notify them of her presence. Otherwise, they'd be following her in the kitchen and bugging her on what snacks they want which would most likely end with a little fight.

Meanwhile, Eunha looks around her friends before settling her almost watery eyes on SinB. The younger girl deftly gets up and saunters towards her, arms spread for a hug. Eunha burrows her head on SinB's little shoulder, arms clutched tightly around her waist. She feels little lips press on top of her head and she looks up to a smiling SinB in confusion.

"See unnie? Kissing isn't so bad," the younger girl tells her.

Eunha smiles, gazes at the younger girl. SinB smiles back with her arms still tight around Eunha.

"Kisses aren't bad after all."


So I was babysitting my cousins and some nephews when an ad about some show pops on the TV. Their ages ranges from 5-6 years old. I had no idea kids actually talked about stuff like this until then. They were all so serious. It was one of the most adorable moments I've ever seen.

Of course, I only adapted the conversation for this fic except for the last exchange between Eunha and SinB.