Neighbors

A Healthy Cup of Crazy

School is a terrible place. Sure, Wendy's top student, a member of chess society, she's in student council, vice president of the cooking club, and also the president of her school's music club even though she's only a fist year but that still does not change the fact that school .

Wendy throws her bag on the chair as she makes her way to the living room. Her same aged neighbor Krystal walks in just behind her, attention on the phone in her hands while still able to navigate through Wendy's apartment.

"What's gotten you so bummed?" asks Jessica who is plopped on the couch absentmindedly browsing through a magazine.

"School," mutters Wendy. She plops herself on the floor, head leaning up right by Jessica's belly.

"I thought you liked school?" asks JessIca inquisitively.

"She's just bummed because her long time crush AKA our dance team's ace complimented a girl that isn't her," pipes in Krystal walking out of the kitchen while drinking mango juice.

"Seulgi?" asks Jessica.

Krystal shakes her head no. "Other ace. Bae Joohyun, but only Wendy calls her that. We unworthy plebians call her Irene."

Wendy groans and whines and moves to bury her face on Jessica's side like a wounded puppy looking for comfort. The older girl pats her head comfortingly, withholding a fond laugh. Krystal rolls her eyes at her friend's childishness, sitting at the end of the couch and fending off Jessica's inevitable kicks until it stops.

"Want to talk about it?" Jessica asks Wendy.

"No," came the muffled reply. "Just comfort me."

Jessica says nothing and just continuosly runs her hand over the sulking girl's hair. Krystal lays over her sister — who grunts in pain but was duly ignored — and starts to play with Wendy's hair.

"Feel better, Wendy," she says. "You still need to cook us dinner."

With a sigh, Wendy withdraws from her position to sit up, expression unimpressed. "Why am I friends with you people."

"Because we've been neighbors since we were babies," replies Krystal.

"And I have pictures of you in your diaper days," adds Jessica.

Wendy huffs in exasperation and mutters something along the lines of ungrateful friends and terrible people lounging in her apartment with no permission, even worse than her parents who don't even live here, and heads to the kitchen to make food for three.

"Tell me about Irene," Jessica prods her sister once they hear the sounds of pans and cuttlery being used.

"Short, pretty, and quiet. Very popular," supplies Krystal automatically as she languidly sits up.

"Irrelevant information," Jessica brushes off. "Tell me how she is as a person."

"How do I know? As I said, she's quiet," retorts Krystal. "That, and we don't run in the same circle."

"I thought you said she was popular?"

"She's pretty and quiet, the idiots at our school gets interested in her face and interprets her lack of words as mysteriousness. Of course she'd be popular."

"You say that as if they don't think that about you," snorts Jessica.

"They think I'm intimidating. That's different."

"Sure."

"Shut up."

"Make me."

Before Krystal could pummel her older sister with a pillow, a fight Krystal is sure to lose anyway, Wendy comes out of the kitchen to call them for dinner. The sisters immediately comply.

"Delicious as usual, Wendy. As expected of the cooking club's VP," Krystal gives her a thumbs up.

"You're only saying that because I'm giving you free dinner," deadpans Wendy.

Krystal only winks at her cutely, denying nothing. Jessica giggles and snaps a couple of pictures from her kissy faced sister to an annoyed looking Wendy. She needs to send (read: sell) them to Krystal's boyfriend and Wendy's secret fanclub respectively.

"So," Jessica says after tucking her phone away. "Tell me about this Irene person."

"No way. You're gonna try to help again and we all know how that ended up the last time," says Wendy.

"That was so not my fault. How was I supposed to know Eric had a girlfriend?" defends Jessica.

"That was so embarassing," laughs Krystal recalling how Wendy awkwardly stood in a corner of the restaurant she was supposed to confess to Eric in with flowers hidden behind her. Eric had been kissing a girl.

"Ugh, shut up. That's a repressed memory," groans Wendy.

"You know, the kids at school would never guess how embarassing you actually are when not in school," Krystal comments. "Like in your regular life."

"What, does she act all cool in front of your schoolmates?" asks Jessica indulgingly, teasing.

"Nope but she does laugh a lot and is all bright smiles around other people. Like a confident little ."

" off, Krystal," says Wendy.

With a feigned shocked expression, Krystal chides Wendy. "Language!" she exclaims. "What would your fans say?!"

"Ugh, stop it!" Wendy scrunches her face. "And I don't have fans. That's ridiculous."

"Of course she doesn't," says Jessica monotonously as she finishes up a photo-related transaction from her phone and locks the device.

Wendy tries to glare at Jessica but only succeeds at looking like an uncomfortable hamster. Just like everytime. Realizing the futility, she starts clearing up the table grumpily. Jessica volunteers for dish duty but only because she feels a little guilty for selling Wendy's photos. Just a little, though.

The two same aged friends plop themselves on the living room and take out their respective homework. They're both pretty smart so it doesn't take long for them to plow through their own piles.

Jessica finishes up the dishes and makes it her mission to bother the younger girls. Lying down on the floor, she makes sure her limbs are all over the two. Krystal tries to slap her feet off only to be kicked while Wendy only sighs.

"Are you this clingy towards your girlfriend?" Wendy asks Jessica.

"She's worse," says Krystal. "And it's girlfriends. Emphasis on the s. She has two."

Wendy's eyes widen and her eyebrows shoot up. "Why am I not aware of this?"

"You've been looking at Irene too much that you've lost interest in your unnie's lovelife," Jessica simply laments.

"I have not!" denies Wendy. "And you're the one who barely comes over here anymore. You leave me alone with Krystal. Do you hate me or something?"

"Yah! I'm right here," Krystal scoffs. "Also, how dare you complain. You should be thankful I even grace you with my presence, you ungrateful commoner."

Wendy rolls her eyes while Jessica beams with pride. She's raised two wonderful girls, even though she technically didn't. But she's been there through their childhood and has sat through enough tears with them. That's gotta count for something.

"Anyway, yes I do have two girlfriends and they know about each other's existence. They don't mind. They're together, too," Jessica says.

"That face says you're definitely going to scour the web for any information about polyamory, you nerd," Krystal points at Wendy.

From the previous inquisitive expression, Wendy's face sports a scowl. She sticks out a tongue at Krystal to which the other girl responds with a childish teasing expression. Jessica takes more photos, not for sale but for future blackmail purposes.

It takes a while before they go back to their homework. Jessica is now preoccupied with texting her girlfriends things her dongsaengs are not ready to know about among other stuff. Wendy stretches her short arms upwards having finished her workload. She slumps on the table waiting for Krystal.

"Hey," she prods the other girl with her foot.

"What," grumbles Krystal without looking up from her math sheet.

"Do you have any openings in the theatre department?"

"You want to join us?" asks Krystal with a raised brow.

"Aren't you pretty swamped with all the clubs you have already?" asks Jessica.

"Yeah but I think I could use my time well if I do, you know?" Wendy tells them. "And it's good for credits. College is just around the corner."

"I call bull. You're only joining to impress that Irene girl," declares Krystal.

This elicits a laugh from Jessica, calling Wendy adorable and pinching her cheeks for emphasis. Krystal smirks and teases her for being such a nerd. Wendy blushes and it only eggs the two sisters on.

"You don't have to do so much to impress that one girl," Krystal tells her once they've all calmed down.

"She's not just some gir—"

"You're already amazing, Wendy," cuts off Krystal.

Wendy is rendered speechless at the unexpected compliment, her protests forgotten.

"Of course, not as amazing as me but you're close enough."

Krystal will always be Krystal.

"As rare as this moment is, Krystal is right. You are amazing," says Jessica ignoring Krystal's last line. "You can't sulk from not receiving a compliment just this one time. She'd be blind not to see how amazing you are. If she's not then she's just probably just shy."

Now that was expected. Leave it Jessica to say unnie-like things. No matter how childish she acts sometimes, she always did know what to say to make everything feel better.

"Do you think she'll like me back?" Wendy asks Jessica.

"Of course she will, if she doesn't already. I may not know how you guys are at school but I know you're very charming. She'll fall for sure," Jessica tells her.

With a lighter mood, Wendy gives Jessica a hug. She's always believed the older girl's words, even though she complains sometimes. Wendy heads to the bathroom to cleanup first since it seems her two guests will not be leaving anytime soon. It's another impromptu sleepover.

"You're in contact with Irene already, aren't you?" Krystal asks as soon as they hear the shower turn on.

"Of course I am," replies Jessica cheerfully. "You have her friends' information ready?"

"Done it while you distracted Wendy. Your advice is so lame, by the way. I had to stop myself from puking halfway."

"Like you could do better."

Krystal scoffs. "Of course I can. I learned from you, remember?"

Jessica grins and envelops her sister in a warm hug. "Aigoo, my baby is grown up now, being smooth like the little she is."

"Unnieee," Krystal whines as she tries to pry off her sister without success.

"Anyway, get your boyfriend involved. We need as much manpower as we can to make this plan a success," Jessica tells Krystal. "We can't have another Eric episode."

"That was totally your fault."

"Shut up," Jessica grunts. "Little ."