Tales (1)

A Healthy Cup of Crazy

Jessica Jung is not easily frightened. She'd even go as far as believing nothing scares her anymore. Except maybe for flying bugs but only because they look disgusting. She's a rational person, one of those intelligent species who always seem to have a grasp on life

It's 3 AM when she arrives outside her apartment, worn out from a day full of corporate meetings and obnoxious businessmen. She's groggy and grumpy and all she really wants is her comfy bed with imported expensive sheets. All she can think about as she walks the hallways is sleep.

Then she sees a young girl sitting outside her door. She blinks a few times to get rid of her sleepy state because maybe she's just imagining things. She's not. The girl stares right back at her.

Her instincts (honed by all those horror movies Taecyeon basically forced her to watch) tells her to run away.

She doesn't.

Not even when the girl stands up.

Not even when the girl walks towards her and asks for a bed.

Jessica isn't scared. Confused, yes but not scared.

She blames it on her currently tired state when she opens her apartment door and allows the kid entry. It was only then that she notices the girl had brought a rather large carrier bag with her which is subsequently pulled towards the living room. The young girl pauses by the sofa and turns to face Jessica.

"Where can I sleep?" she asks.

It takes a couple of seconds before Jessica manages to thaw her brain out.

"Who are you and why are you here?"

"I'm Eunbi. Hwang Eunbi and you let me in," the girls says.

"What I meant was what were you doing outside my door? I don't think we've met before."

"No we haven't. But I know who you are. Look, I'd love to go on with this interrogation biz but I'm bummed and tired from travelling all the way to Seoul. Can I sleep now, please?"

Jessica, still a bit in a tired daze, looks at the girl in silent scrutiny. When she concludes the girl wouldn't be able to murder her in her sleep, she points to the guest room at the opposite side of the hallway to her own room. The girl beams at her then proceded to walk towards the appointed room.

Before going to her own room, Jessica learns that rationality is a who doesn't exist at three in the morning.

 

 

Jessica likes mornings. She just doesn't like waking up to it. She's the type of person who values her sleep, the kind who would even kick her best friend literally for attempting to wake her up for an emergency business meeting.

So when she hears a knocking on her bedroom door, she fumbles her hand for a pillow to cover her ears with. The tapping doesn't stop, however, and Jessica curses Taecyeon in her mind because it's her friggin' day off and he had no right disturbing her slumber because she had a long day yesterday and she had to come home to a girl whom she had never met before and--- .

The girl.

She muffles and irritated scream into her pillows before getting up and off the comforts of her bed. She mumbles "M'Comin'" as she makes her way to the door.

First thing Jessica sees as she opens the door is the girl reluctantly smiling at her. Second thing she sees is the tray of pancakes and bacon the girl carried.

"I didn't know what you liked so I just made what I wanted. Can I come in?" the girl, Eunbi, asks.

Jessica wordlessly opens her door wider to let the girl in. Eunbi carries the tray in and stands by the bed. Not the type to say no to breakfast in bed, Jessica sits down on the bed and motions for the girl to follow. Not waking up to a pool of her own blood had Jessica put enough trust to allow the girl to do so.

Eunbi sits down and puts the tray between her and Jessica. To her delight, Jessica starts to dig in. The girl made an effort to give her breakfast in bed so in bed she will eat.

"So," Jessica says after a mouthful of pancakes. "Hwang Eunbi, is it?"

"Yes, I'm Hwang Eunbi," Eunbi confirms.

"What brings you here, Hwang Eunbi, and where are your parents?"

"...I'd rather tell you when you're done eating."

"Why?" asks Jessica then adds after a pause, "This food isn't poisoned, is it?"

Young Eunbi gives a little chuckle then reassures her that she's not anywhere near homicidal.

"And besides, even if I did want to murder you, I won't be using poison. That'd be lame."

Jessica buys it and resumes eating. The food is good anyway. She eats in silence while subtly observing Eunbi who is in turn preoccupying herself by staring at Jessica's bookshelves.

When she finishes the last bit of bacon, she noisily lifts the tray and moves it to the bedside table to get Eunbi's attention. Eunbi turns towards her and flashes a delighted smile upon seeing the empty plate.

"So, you ready to tell me why you're in my home now?"

"Well, yeah. Kinda. But first you have to promise me you won't freak out."

"Hardly anything freaks me out, little girl."

"Promise me first. Come onnn," she says prolonging the nnn while raising her pinky.

"Fine," Jessica acquisses, raising her own pinky to seal the promise.

"Okay. Well for starters, my mom and dad are... um... gone. They, um... d-died. About a month ago."

Eunbi swallows thickly and looks down to fix her expression. She doesn't say anything for a while and Jessica waits for her to continue because she honestly didn't know what to reply to that. Because she knows the pain of losing someone will not hurt less by saying I'm sorry or My condolences. So Jessica waits for Eunbi.

Eunbi finally looks at her and she encourages the girl to continue with a nod of her head.

"Right. Um, well, on my birthday before they died, my mom promised to take me to see my mother."

"Your mother?"

"Yeah, my birth mother. I'm adopted, you see."

"...Oh."

"I know. But my life's not sad, you know. They always made sure I was happy and they had aways stayed true to their promises."

"Except the last one?" asks Jessica.

"Except the last one. But they can't help that. Which is why I'm here. In your home," says Eunbi.

"Pardon? I don't think I follow. What do you mean that's why you're... Holy ."

Language is the least of her worries right now. By the time the thought registers on Jessica's brain, Eunbi has made her way off the bed and onto the floor in front of her in a low bow.

 

"Nice to officially meet you, mother."

 


 

I know the only food SinB can cook is rice (with a rice cooker) but this is a fanfiction and anything goes so yeah, i made her make pancakes and bacon. hihi~