Oh, Joy

A Healthy Cup of Crazy

The first time Wendy say Joy, she thought she was a cute little angel. It was when the younger girl had just moved in to six year old Wendy's neighborhood. A week into their meeting, Wendy finally realized how wrong she was.

On their first playdate, Wendy found herself covered in flour and cookie dough in her mothers' kitchen. She doesn't know how or why she let Joy talk her into baking when they could barely reach the countertops. Needless to say, Wendy got one heck of a scolding from her mommy Tiffany just because she was the older one.

(Four year old Joy was batting her lashes extra cutely and Wendy felt betrayed. But Joy looked so innocent that she let it go).

 

More incidents had followed. From pranking their neighbor ajhussi to getting stuck on the roof (Wendy's still not sure how THAT had happened), the older girl has found herself a constant victim to Joy's charms. Granted, she follows Joy mostly because she's actually worried the girl might get into serious trouble and hurt herself but she ends up abetting mischief anyway.

Of course, Wendy is sensible. She hides her baby sister away from Joy. But when she's not looking, Joy slips SinB the occasional chocolate bar or the book of most deadly serial killers she secretly "borrowed" from her dad's office. ("Don't be lame like Wendy," she tells the barely year old baby).

 

Wendy was just coming home from choir practice when she finds Joy on top of a very well made snow fort. She was nine years old and Joy had been seven. Being the responsible child she was, Wendy asked the younger girl to come down to the ground where it's safe.

But Joy somehow convinced her to come up instead. So she does.

"Why are we here?" asked Wendy.

"Shh! She's coming. Duck and keep quiet," said Joy.

She doesn't usually question Joy's commands but that day, she somehow felt like she should. So she did. Joy sighed dramatically,as if silently telling Wendy she's an idiot, and pointed towards a little girl walking on the sidewalk towards their direction.

"Who is she?" asked Wendy.

"Nana's stupid friend who is prettier than me and doesn't like chicken," said Joy.

Wendy shivered unconsciously. This will not end well for Nana's friend. She knows Joy all too much to shrug this off as another harmless prank. If it's a grudge that involves chicken, there's no way Joy can chill.

"Joy, maybe you shouldn't pellet her with snowballs," Wendy suggested carefully.

"She came over at Nana's when I was there and we couldn't order in chicken because apparently, that unnie can't eat it."

"But still..."

"Shut up, here she comes!" Joy hissed excitedly.

The first snowball came like a well aimed arrow and landed on top of the target's head. The second, third and the rest of the snowballs realeased by Joy's little hands hit the target at random places. Wendy knew Joy had a really good aim, years spent with the little devil made her familiar of her skills. So when she saw the spark in Joy's eyes as she aimed for the (now screaming while ungloriously falling) target's face, she intercepted and made Joy miss her aim.

"Hey!" Joy exclaimed. "What gives?"

"She looks like she's about to cry. You should stop now."

"But I have more snowballs to throw," the younger girl pouted.

It took a lot from Wendy to resist that look. She hauled her body up and gave Joy a brief pat on the head before quietly descending towards the fallen girl down on the sidewalk.

"Are you okay?" she asked the girl.

The hair covering her lowered face parted a bit as she glanced up towards Wendy, revealing teary confused eyes and a small bump on her forehead.

"Oh my gosh, you're hurt! Let's go get that treated," Wendy fussed, taking the girl's arm and dragging her towards the house. She mentally noted to be strong and scold Joy later.

Her parents were out to take SinB to her yearly checkup, probably a shot too since she's a baby. She made the girl sit by the fire place while she hunted for an ice pack and the first aid kit (the girl only had a forehead bump but Wendy doesn't want to take any chances).

Bae Joohyun. The girl told Wendy her name while her bump was being tended to. She also said she's as old as Nana, Joy's favoured cousin-in-law, meaning she's three years older than Wendy.

"You're my unnie, then," she said smiling. "Joohyun-unnie."

The older girl smiled in return, both in gratitude and admiration. Wendy was adorably fluffy, chubs in all the right places. She briefly wonders how in the world she missed this cute little helpful hamster when she's passed by this house so often.

"Sorry about the snowballs," Wendy told her.

 "That was you?!" asked Irene in disbelief.

"Well, no. That was Joy."

"Joy..." Irene's eyes suddenly turned a shade darker, jaws locked tightly, lips pressed shut.

Wendy blinked a couple of times, surprised how the pretty unnie who looked like a lost little bunny turned into a murderous looking cat with the mention of her best friend's name.

"A-ah hahaha?" she awkwardly laughs. "I take it that you know her?"

She knows of course, that they've met. She just chose to play dumb because it felt like the safest option at the moment.

"Know her? She sabotaged my school project with Nana!"

"Yeah, she's not a very nice person."

"Understatement of the century," Irene muttered.

"Regardless, she's my friend," pointed out Wendy. "I apologize on her behalf."

The girl looked so sincere (and adorably serious) that Irene felt it denying her anything was almost blasphemous.

"It's fine," Irene told her. "She's just a kid anyway."

A bright happy smile was flashed her way and Irene couldn't think of anything lovelier.

 

They became fast friends, Irene hanging out with Wendy when they saw each other in school or Wendy would come over to Nana's house to deliver cookies (Yeah, she learned how to bake) when she knew Irene was around. They even hang out together with Joy if the youngest was in a good mood.

A year later, after a school trip Joy was too young to attend, she realized that Wendy wasn't beside her anymore. She saw her laughing to a memory shared with Joohyun. Joy spent most of her time hanging out in SinB's room.

"It's like, she left me all alone, you know?" she told the baby.

SinB only released a couple of "adadamamama" because she couldn't talk yet. Joy sighed from the lounger she pushed to stick next to the baby crib and buried her face on a plush pillow.

"Irene unnie is a bad person," she continued her lament. "I mean, she's got Wendy baking her food all the time. All The Time!"

SinB hit the crib with her rattle and giggled, drool coming down from . Joy got up to wipe it with the bib around the baby's neck.

"I mean, I know I make Wendy bake for me too but she's MY bestfriend. It's only right," she said. "Joohyun unnie is just... Some girl."

The baby had now switched her attention to a plush toy, intent on pulling its arms apart. Joy sighed heavily, hand playing with SinB's hair.

"Don't like Joohyun unnie too, okay?"

SinB flashed her a mostly gummy smile, four small front teeth sparkling with baby drool.

"I'll take that as a yes," Joy said. "I have to go now, before your family wakes up and aunt Tiffany scream about something I never listen to. I swear that mom of yours can never be quiet."

With a small wave of her hand, Joy bid the baby goodbye and start to make her way to a window.

"Doy!" squealed SinB.

Joy stopped midtrack, slowly turning her head towards the crib.

"Did you just-"

"Doy!" she said again followed by a giggle.

Rushing back towards the crib, she planted a big peck on the baby's forehead and told her how much of a good girl she is.

When Joy silently got back to her room that same morning, she starts to pack away some of the toy guns and archery she barely used into a box and labeled it "Dongsaeng".

 

Wendy and Joy are still friends even though they don't get to hang out that much anymore. Being mean to Joohyun made Wendy sad so Joy could only hate her in silence. Like purposely ordering chicken when they're on a weekly movie night so Joohyun wouldn't eat any or giving SinB her first toy gun (something Wendy should never find out).

They grew up, of course, and Wendy would be the first to admit that Joy has a lot of charms in spite of her mischievous tendencies. Joohyun, whom they later nicknamed Irene, is also the first to feel jealous everytime Wendy showers Joy with affection. SinB, meanwhile, is secretly under Joy's tutelage for future world domination.

Well, she was. Until a very angry Jessica found them on a bb gun target practice using teenage couples at the park, an incident that has banned any form of weapon to be handled by Joy when SinB is in at least five meter radius.

But still, Joy is joy and life goes on.