*** V

You Only Live Twice

Notes: Just fyi to avoid confusion, this chapter is direct continuation from first chapter. Everything in chapter 2 to 4 happened in past.

———————

2015

“Soul, they are coming! You gotta move!”

“I know!” Soojung tapped her fingers frantically against the keyboard in frustration, eyes fixed at ‘Wrong Password’ sign that persistently stayed on the screen.

Ten minutes had passed but she hadn’t managed to unlock the computer where files they’d been after was stored. It was already her second try to break into a certain phamaceutical company director’s private suite, she only given three days at maximum, and Soojung obviously despised the idea of herself coming back to her team with empty hands. It’d never happened before, and as a rather perfectionist she had always been, she couldn’t let it happen anyway.

“I repeat, Soojung, get away from your place! RIGHT NOW!” Woohyun called her by real name and Soojung knew it meant very serious danger was awaiting. She furiously punched the desk, was ready to leave when suddenly the screen in front of her changed into rows of chemical formula.

“It works!”

“What?!”

“I got it! The data! Give me fifteen more seconds!”

“ that fomula Soojung they’re already on the living room! Oh God you shouldn’t have gone there alone, I’ve told...” The voice turned into continuous beeping tone as Soojung shutting her earpiece off. It was real miscalculation of her conceited self when she turned down Minha’s offer to come along, but now wasn’t a good time to discuss it. Now that the only exit already blocked and climbing down the window were too risky, there was no other option for Soojung than to find a spot to hide for awhile, and Woohyun barking about her mistake right at her ear definitely would not provide any aid to this task.

The door barged open with loud thud, and by another terrible luck, guards entered before Soojung succesfully pushed herself up into narrow air ventilation on the ceiling.

In one rough pull Soojung flopped back to the room, groaning in pain while leather boot kicking a side of her torso. She managed to grab her opponent’s foot after few more strikes, cracking sound of dislocated joints piercing through the room as Soojung yanking the man off to the ground and bending his ankle in abnormal angle.

Immediately, Soojung clambered up and readied herself in fighting stance, but it was too late when she realized a gun was brandished at her.

———————

Long past midnight, Soojung staggered in the hallway towards her apartment, panting irregularly and trying her best to not lose consciousness. Blood flowed down her left arm, and she had to smear it over her black shirt to prevent the red liquid from dripping and leaving trace that might ignite her fellow residents’ suspicions.

As soon as the door was slammed shut behind, Soojung’s knees gave up and she slumped, finally letting out painful hisses she’d been held during her way home. With the last remaining strength she had, Soojung tore her shirt, taking if off along with dark leather jacket, then tossed everything - clothes, car’s key, phone, gun - to the wooden floor.

Soojung checked the wound in her upper arm and relieved that it wasn’t any vital organ where she got shot. Their team’s doctor would be there soon to help her with the injury, she assured herself that everything was fine.

Until suddenly there was sound of something, presumably plate or bowl, crashed, and Soojung’s mind struck with fear. She wasn’t the only person in the room, and she exactly knew who the other one was.

———————

It’d been hours, and Mijoo shifted uncomfortably on her seat in the living room, wincing several times whenever she heard muffled screams coming from inside Soojung’s bedroom. Her hair all disheveled and sweat running down her slender neck despite the cold air blowing from an air conditioner unit installed there.

When the door finally opened revealing her girlfriend - arm cradled with a sling and steps unsteady - and another woman with platinum blond short hair, Mijoo bolted up right away.

“She’s fine. Don’t worry.” Able to read tremendous worry reflected on Mijoo’s expression, Sunga gave a warm, convincing smile she usually offered to the patients’ relatives who went freaked out over their loved one’s condition in the hospital where she worked. The kind gesture still didn’t break very awkward atmosphere between three of them though.

“Uh... I should’ve introduced myself, pardon. I’m Son Sunga. I’m doctor.” It wasn’t something that needed to be explained actually, since most people could already guess from the long white coat Sunga was wearing.

“Lee Mijoo. I...” Mijoo glanced at Soojung, as if signaling her uncertainty on how to describe their relationship status, so Soojung was the one who finished the sentence calmly.

“She’s my girlfriend.”

“Oh...” It sounded like an 'oh’ that commonly pronounced by someone who just discovered UFO parked on their lawn. “I think.. I’d better take my leave then.” Sunga gathered her belongings that scattered on the living room’s table.

Soojung insisted on ushering her at least to the apartment’s lobby and Sunga only babbled long list of warnings and instructions regarding how to take care of gunshot wound during their way down. But when the elevator reached first floor, smile reappeared on her face as she softly Soojung’s uninjured shoulder.

“I’m happy for you two.” Sunga said sincerely, and Soojung blushed, mumbling a thank you while the doctor waving her hand goodbye then walked out of the building.

———————

After Soojung got back to her home from escorting Sunga, the first thing she found was Mijoo crying on her living room.

And Soojung was bewildered.

She could take men twice her size down in jiujitsu match, she had experiences of breaking security system of most guarded places all over South Korea, her hacking skill was considered one of the best in her team. But nobody had taught her how to deal with an upset girlfriend, and clearly it wasn’t written on any spy 101 manual.

“Look, I’m alive and well. So please stop crying.”

“Remember some months ago when you told me you would be in Turkey for five days business trip? You ended up never coming back for almost two weeks, no calls at all, then when you were finally here you had your head stitched.. And today! Today you came home with a ing hole in your body! I don’t think you even remember what day is today..” Mijoo struggled to breath between sentences and sobs. “What do you suppose me to do if I’m not allowed to cry?!”

The wine was still there, set down on the dining table along with two flute glasses. All her favourite Korean dishes was still stored inside the fridge, even their pleasant aroma still lingered. A small giftbox from Mijoo was still laying on top of her bedside desk. Today was their first anniversary, Soojung realized. And if she closed her eyes, she could quite picture how the younger woman secretly coming inside her flat, running back and forth preparing everything, all cheerful and excited to spend supposedly happy evening; it left her with an ache in her chest that was even more painful than gunshot.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry, it’s my fault.” Soojung whispered, kneeling down in front of Mijoo and cupping her wet cheeks, small thumbs wiping the tears away from it. There was only little she could say, and even less she could do to fix the situation, but Soojung had to try.

In retrospect, she knew it was bound to happen; the day when she have to explain her life to Mijoo. However, it wasn’t common for a 'game developer’ to globe-trotting so often and bringing scars as souvenir once they’re home, all her lies would evoke suspicion and eventually busted sooner or later. She just didn’t expect, or probably didn’t want it to be that soon.

“I haven’t really planned on how’s the best way to tell everything, to be honest, so now I’m kinda lost at where should I begin...” Now seated on the couch together, Soojung drained a cup of tea Mijoo had previously made for her in one large gulp. The beverage had lost its warmth and didn’t do much to help bracing herself.

“For starter, what are you?”

“I work as a spy.” Soojung counted to three waiting on the other woman to react. There was an astonishment apparent in Mijoo’s eyes. But no anger or fear or judgement - and it was enough to reinforce more confidence for Soojung to continue disclosing herself, from how she met Hyuna, story about her family, to some memorable events during her career.

“At first it was just inquisitiveness. I did want to know who killed my parents, but it wasn’t the sole reason... I wanted to know how was their life before, how does it feel to be like them. And you know, curiosity kills the cat. While enjoying this job, I’m also scourging myself. I literally cannot keep any kind of relation with anyone, my life’s revolving around one lie to another. And coping with trust issue.. That’s the worst.”

“So you didn’t believe in me too?” Mijoo couldn’t hold back from asking.

“There were days I didn’t.” Soojung admitted. “But along the way as we started, it became more like I cannot trust myself.”

“The closer we got, the more I’m afraid I will lose you. You will not be able to tolerate what I’m doing. It’s risky, one day I maybe could put you in danger.” Her stare fixated at her own hand that wasn’t heavily bandaged, torn between reach over to take Mijoo’s or stay still. “So I perfectly understand if you don’t want to see me anymore or...”

Much to her surprise, it was Mijoo who then grabbed and clasped their fingers first. Thus Soojung stopped and slowly brought her head up.

“If I choose to trust you, will you trust me as well? That I will accept you no matter what you are. And such idea of leaving you, it never crossed my mind, not even once.”

Light, gentle pressure on her hand, and it was probably the only time Soojung has ever really wanted to cry out of happiness. She leaned in, placing her head against the crook of Mijoo’s neck. “I promise, I’ll never hide anything from you anymore.” Soojung’s answer for the question was resolute, showing how much she felt grateful.

They stilled until tears dried on both of their cheeks. Sounds of clock ticking and two hearts beating evenly, and Soojung couldn’t be more relaxed than she was now.

“You’re a spy. Does that mean I’m Bond girl now?” Mijoo always managed to make Soojung smile. It was always like that since the first time she made her way into Soojung’s heart.

“Nah. They call me Soul. That’s my code name.” Soojung laughed, nuzzling even more deeper.

“You are Soul’s girl.”