*** III

You Only Live Twice

Notes: Eunji mentioned here is Park Eunji, ex-member of Nine Muses

——————— 

2014

When Soojung met Lee Mijoo for the first time, it was in front of a rather small building with cute, colourful 'Tiny Stars Kindergarten' signage mounted in the middle of its wall.

Totally not a place any spies would want to visit at nearly eight in the morning after three consecutive sleepless nights due to mission, but Soojung just couldn't say no to her neighbor's plead; she was just arrived home at last, sore and aches all over her body, and was ready to jump into her warm bed's embrace when suddenly the doorbell blared. After the third ring and it seemed her visitor wouldn't give up yet, Soojung dragged herself like a zombie, opened her door then found an Eunji and a little Eunji. Both were flashing identical grin at her, the only difference was the little one doesn't have dimples on her cheeks.

"My husband's sick and we need to see the doctor now.. So I was thinking if you maybe could help me to take Yein to her kindergarten?"

Nope. Just say no. Remember those pillows and blankets and...

"Please?"

Soojung heaved a deep sigh. "Give me some minutes to freshen up."

Thus half an hour later here she was, giving an awkward smile to the prettiest kindergarten teacher she ever saw in her entire life ("Are they always this gorgeous? When I was child my teachers were all ahjumma or ahjumma-like young women!") and internally cursing herself that she should've took at least ten minutes of actual shower instead of three minutes washing face. With her small frame and baby face it was always easy to appear deceptively harmless, but her current very unmatched outfits - oversized blue jacket, green crop pants, tshirt with ing yellow Homer on it, messy hair peeked out from under her old beanie, she even wore her three years old sneakers - made her probably look like a homeless.

"Uh... I'm not a weird person." Soojung didn't even understand why she got that urge to explain herself. "I mean... I'm next door neighbor and this morning Yein's daddy happened to be sick, so I'm here accompanying her.." She gave light squeeze to the tiny hand she'd been held, desperately signaling Yein to say something in approval.

When the little girl just stared silently with her doe eyes at Soojung, she decided it was time to leave. "Guess I'd better be off now. Bye Yein."

"Cute." Soojung froze on spot upon hearing the word.

"Excuse me?"

"I like The Simpsons too!" Mijoo half shouted; and Soojung felt her stomach dropped somewhere near her feet, because that smile was so dazzling.

(She didn't like Homer that much. Most of her clothes that have actual colours were given by Dongwoo or Kyungri during Christmas or her birthday. She took mental note to say proper gratitude next time they give her more.)

——————— 

Soojung was on her way home from groceries shopping when out of nowhere, someone tackled her back, so hard it brought her down to the ground. Cans of beer and ground coffee bean fell out from brown paper bag and rolling across the road.

"Soojungie~!"

kids.

Soojung almost cursed out. Good thing she didn't. Because after Yein had finally stopped hitting and tugging her shirt, and Soojung managed to get up, first thing she saw was a certain tall, brunette haired, always smiling kindergarten teacher.

kids who run around and hit innocent people down on street while bringing their dropdead gorgeous teacher.

"Oh it's the Homer unnie again!" Mijoo looked at Soojung in the eyes for some brief moments before stooped to help picking up the scattered cans.

So on their second meeting, Soojung had determined three things: 1. Homer Simpson is her favourite character from now on, 2. Next time she should buy milk or fresh juice because neither alcoholic or caffeine-addict leave good impression, and 3. This Yein's teacher got really, really pretty eyes.

——————— 

Third time's a charm.

Soojung didn't really believe in such things as fate or magic, also didn't agree to the idea of herself being in love; it would only give her a weakness, make her vulnerable. However when she saw Mijoo for the third time, standing right in front of her door, yellow and orange rays of dusk beamed from the hallway's window illuminating one side of her slightly startled face, Soojung knew she had fallen in love.

"Is this not Yein's home?" Mijoo asked hesitantly.

"No, it's that one." Soojung pointed at another white door just right next to hers.

"Oh... I'm sorry. Guess they gave me wrong address." The teacher shown her phone screen, there was an address written and the number was 706 instead of 707. "Eunji-ssi told me she have an important meeting regarding work and wouldn't be home until late night, so they need someone to take care of their daughter. And Yeinnie insisted wanting me to come over. Cute kid, huh?"

Soojung's brows furrowed. "Strange. I just got similar message but Eunji said Yein wanted nobody else but me to accompany her."

So they both came inside Park's residence anyway. Yein squealed happily upon seeing the two, and none of them had even the slightest suspicions that some five years old could have something up their sleeve.

Not until they reenacted random fairytale and Yein refused to be the princess.

"Yein wanna be witch! You two will be the prince and princess!"

Three hours later they finally wrapped up their tasks as babysitter, their little witch had finished her meal, was now sleeping soundly on her room, and Soojung still had soft red hue creeping across her face as side effect from their earlier stupid play.

("Now I will potion..." "Poison, Yein, not potion." "Poison ssaem! And Soojungie will kiss her to wake her up!")

The short woman scratched her head, then rubbed her face, then scratched her head again while exhaling heavy sigh. This is crazy. Someone like me shouldn't go out with normal person. Furthermore, Soojung wasn't sure if she had to laugh or cry at the imagination of a spy dating kindergarten teacher.

But then Mijoo appeared from Yein's room.

"Wow it was more tiring that expected, wasn't it?"

Soojung's eyes trailed following her movements; how her plump lips curled forming a smile, slender hands loosen her hairtie, head shaking lightly then brunette locks fell cascading and scent of green apple shampoo wafted faintly through the air.

"Are you alright? Your face's all red..." The teacher held up her palm to Soojung's forehead.

"No. No, I'm not alright." I can't ing breathe. "I'm in love with you."

——————— 

"Yein-ah, good morning!" Soojung let the little girl jump and hug her. "You look so cute today!"

Eunji quirked an eyebrow at the sight. "And Soojung-ssi looks unusually... Alive, today."

"Really?" Soojung looked up, offering wide grin that indeed wasn't usual expression she gave out on regular basis while ruffling Yein's hair. It was like she had suddenly grown fondness towards the five years old in just one night.

"Mommy, Yein saw ssaem kissed Soojungie on the couch last night!"

Yein extricated herself from Soojung then ran along the hallway. Soojung hung her head as low as possible, cheeks flushed hot before Eunji's glare that was a mixture between amusement and what have you done to our couch?

Forget cute from earlier.

kids.