- 02 -

Heroes Don't Wear Capes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What's up with you?" Sora asked with worry as she got a hold of me during one of our small breaks at work.

"It doesn't look like you getting orders switched around." Her brows furrowed.

Looking down, I shrugged her off. I hated her for being able to see right through me.

How would she react if I told her that a guy I only met once was the reason for my mental absence? Ever since I met Jeon Jungkook my mind had been tricking me. Occasionally I found myself thinking about his smile. Sometimes his voice. Who was I kidding? I was thinking about every little detail I remembered from our meeting. He was intriguing and I would lie if I said I didn't want to get to know him because I certainly did.

I pushed the thoughts about him away.

I shook my head back and forth, trying to make up a poor excuse she surely wouldn't buy anyway. "A lot of things are just happening right now. Work. Dad and Namjoon's return." I responded.

Nodding slowly she seemed to buy it, though it was clearly she found my vague answer unsatisfying. She knew better than anyone else how I was able to multitask, hence it was surprising she didn't interrogate me more than she did. Maybe she had a hunch that I really didn't want to talk about it anyway.

"Seems fair." She turned around, putting on the white apron again since our break was over.

"But you can make up for today's mistakes by going out with me tonight. It's been ages since this old corpus has had a girls' night out." She pleaded bluntly, glancing at me when she was done fixing her apron. Standing with her hands in her sides, she awaited my answer while I had no idea what to say.

I wasn't the going out type but I hated letting her down and by the look on her face, she really wanted to do this.

Oh, what the hell. Let's do it.

I realized I didn't stand a chance. Regardless of the poor excuses I was able to make up she would always find a way to persuade me, why I let it go and decided to agree.

"Sure, why not?" I gave her a little smile, hoping it would make me look less dull.

I had barely finished speaking when she jumped up and down squealing. And she was the older one? You would never have guessed.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's going to be so much fun!" I was taken aback when her tall frame encircled my small figure in a tight embrace. I couldn't help but to smile by her eagerness. It was cute.

I found myself hugging her back. Perhaps, she was right. Maybe, it was just what I needed in order to make the stupid thoughts about a certain guy disappear.

I was so ready for a girls' night out.

~~

"Does this make me look fat?" With her eyes glued to the mirror in front of her, she turned and turned trying to get a good view of every angle of the dress clinging onto her like a second skin.

She didn't have to study her body that much, she was beyond stunning. She was tall with curves all the right places and she had the longest legs I've ever seen. Her hair was long, shiny and straight. Yes, she was beautiful and the more I looked at her, the more did I want to bury myself.

I couldn't compare to her. I was tiny and small, though I was thankful for the little amount of booty I was granted. My hair was long, frizzy and curly and I could never control the coal black crazy mane.

"No, you are gorgeous." I let myself fall down onto my bed, looking through my phone which had absolutely nothing exciting to tell me. Sora decided to crash my apartment, concluding it would be more fun if we got ready together. At first I was hesitant but I couldn't just turn her down and soon I found myself enjoying her constant babbling about which colors suited me and what kind of heels I should wear. I secretly enjoyed her panic when she discovered it was getting late or late according to her. It was only quarter to nine.

"Really?" She turned around, facing me, all full of smiles and genuine happiness.

"Yes, you are. Now stop before you ruin my self-esteem." I admitted before placing my focus to the phone in my hands.

Smirking I saw Sora approach me from the corner of my eyes like she had a sinister plan I had to take part in.

"Who is this lucky guy you are texting?" She landed on my bed with a thump, attacking me with dirty looks and questions. She could look as much as she wanted. I was only texting Namjoon. Apparently, he too had decided to go out tonight, celebrating his homecoming with a couple of his friends.

"If you mean lucky guy by Namjoon then yes I presume he is one lucky guy." By the mention of Namjoon, the curiosity in her eyes slowly faded but she still kept a questioning look on her face. I had figured out she fancied my brother long time ago despite the little . That one time she met my brother, she kept bombarding me with questions about him several weeks after. Even blind people could see her obvious attraction.

"Is he coming tonight?" She tried sounding distant like she really didn't care and only tried to be polite by asking but I knew she anticipated my answer.

I decided to a bit, keeping silent for a few seconds until she slapped my arm gently. Impatient woman.

"C'mon, don't be mean!"

I laughed at her reaction. She was too easy to read.

"Yeah, he is going out with the guys tonight." Emphasizing the word 'guys' I hoped she would forget any possible ideas she might get. Having her ogling her eyes out was not something I looked forward to.

Just like I expected she was staring ahead with a dreamy expression, surely having her own small fantasies about my brother which wasn't awkward at all. Notice the irony.

Rolling my eyes, I had reached to the point where I was about to give up on her. She was a lost, starstruck case.

Seeing my annoyed reaction, she chuckled and peered at me.

"You can't blame me though! I can't help his jaw is chiseled by Michelangelo himself." With her legs dangling from the bed, she rested her head in her hands and continued to stare straight out into nothing with my brother inside her head, despite my uneasiness right beside.

She sighed dreamily. "Your brother is one hell of a man and I'm just a lonely woman, it happens."

I managed to get up from the bed without puking all over it. The sweetness of her words was sickening and I internally cringed by it.

"Yeah yeah, it's your reaction now but just wait and see. Someday a man will enter your would and sweep you off your feet. You'll be ten times worse than me and when that time comes I will be right here and say I told you so." She teased.

Per instinct I found the closest pillow and aimed it right at her, not to harsh of course. I wasn't evil enough to ruin her make-up.

She huffed and her reaction made me burst.

"Brat." I heard her murmur which only made me laugh more. In reality I only tried my best hiding my nervousness because I didn't want her to find out that a guy I didn't know was already in the process of sweeping me off my feet and there was no prospect of getting back to my senses.

 

~~

 

"I can't believe I agreed to this." My hesitant eyes wandered from Sora to the long queue and people pacing back and forth around us. It was an understatement saying there was a lot of people going out tonight. To me it seemed as if the entire town decided to let loose this specific night. People. People everywhere. But I guessed there was a good reason to celebrate. The homecoming of several deployed soldiers was on everyone's lips, hence they wanted to commemorate.

Hugging my bare tiny frame I hoped I would somewhat become invisible. The dress Sora forced me to wear barely covered the most important parts. In my opinion it was too short and revealing but she kept insisting that it was perfect and honestly I wasn't much for arguing. I knew Sora, it was no use with her determinedness.

So now I was here standing in line with my arms wrapped around myself in search of comfort. At least, my hair decided to cooperate for once hanging loose around my shoulders, down my back in large curls.

It was an unfamiliar feeling but I trusted Sora's abilities and finally accepted I looked decent for a girls' night out.

"Hey girls, have a great night." A greasy looking bouncer let us get past but not without giving us both a wink that was anything but y.

"That was so gross." Sora whispered in my ear, grabbing my arm as she made sure we were glued together on our way in. I was thankful for that.

Immediately, we stepped inside I was met by loud music and smoky air that hit me like a sledgehammer. Yup, definitely lots of people.

"Let's find an empty table." I had nothing to say as she dragged me past the crowded dance floor into a more silent lounge with couches, tables and an attached bar. I secretly thanked her for her choice. This was much better than the loud mess on the other side of the wall.

I looked around, seeing a bunch of guys playing pool, some were having a drink casually. A fine mixture of both guys and girls and I started to feel comfortable.

"Found it." The little corner fitted the two of us perfectly. From our spot we were able to see everything that happened without getting too much attention ourselves.

I turned to look at her and she just smiled. "Isn't this great?"

I nodded instantly. It was no secret I was worried at first but seeing this little lounge I was quite confide

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter