- 01 -

Heroes Don't Wear Capes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Two brunch plates for table number six. Ready to go." I wiped the sweat off my glistening forehead before taking the two dishes with ease, rushing towards the referred table. Mornings were always hectic at 'Edge Cafe' regardless of  the day. But nonetheless I loved my job. The staff was beyond amazing, the customers were overall sweet, the salary tolerable but what I loved the most was the never ending liveliness. Things happened so fast it forced me to focus on something else than my father and Namjoon's wellbeing. Something I cherished a lot.

"Two brunch plates." I stated with a broad smile on my face as I neared the romantic couple, holding hands. They both looked up due to my arrival, their eyes longing for the meals I was caring. I didn't blame them, it was candy for the eye and for the tongue as well I could guarantee. Hard work makes you hungry.

"Here you go." I put the plates in front of them just like I've done it a hundred times before. They awed and thanked me more than enough.

"Enjoy your meals." I nodded slightly, leaving the  couple to themselves when I was sure everything was just as it should be.

Rounding the corner of the bar I found the first chair that captured my eyes and tossed myself in it, burying my face in my hands, exhaustion slowly starting to evolve.

"A little impatient, are we?" A hand caressed my shoulder and I raised my head by the touch, meeting a reassuring smile from one of my sweet colleagues, Sora. She knew about my whereabouts and my family and why I insisted on having more shifts. She was always there for me despite the non-existing need to depend on others and oddly enough I grew fond of it. Especially in situations like these where my emotions were splattered all over the place. Today was the day my father and Namjoon would be returning home. After seven months and fifteen days. Seven months and fifteen days of pure torture.

Removing a strand from my face, a little tired smile seemed to appear.

"You have absolutely no idea." I exhaled. My fingers fidgeting with each other by the thought. In less than three hours I would have the most important people in my life in my arms and I couldn't wait.

She laughed. "No, I don't and thank God. I don't know how you do it".

She shook her head lightly, cleaning the wooden bar in front of her with a damp cloth.

"But it's pretty impressive. On the other hand, I'm internally dying if I have to wait more than five minutes for my coffee at Starbucks." I laughed at her little rant. It was as true as it could get, she was one of the most impatient people I've ever met. A charming girl who knew nothing about patience.

"Yeah, six minutes and that shop would be forever gone." I teased.

"Seven minutes and the president would receive a nice call." She stopped her doings and winked at me before continuing her work.

Her directness never failed to impress me.

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

"Oh, hush child. My old soul can't handle all these feelings." She massaged the spot around her heart, looking rather hit by my words.

She was always this overdramatic despite the fact that it was only small seven years separating us from each other.

"Nachos and a chicken omelette for table fifteen!" A loud voice from the kitchen roared.

"I guess that's my signal." Sighing, I slid my clammy palms down my jeans covered thighs as I got up from the chair, ready to continue and endure the last hour of my shift.

 

 

~~

 

I was practically shaking when I stood in the middle of the parking lot, surrounded by wives, children, friends, parents, dressed in their finest attire ready to welcome home their beloved ones. So was I. Wearing a cream colored romper and heeled sandals I felt like a princess, ready to greet my kings. Especially with my long hair waving down my back in endless curls. I've done a darn good job, making myself look pretty if I have to say it myself.

The strong tension was lingering in the air along with the non-stopping questions from kids asking in intervals how much time there was left until they could finally see mommy or daddy and it didn't exactly make the waiting more bearable, rather the opposite it made me more restless and nervous. However, it had nothing on the usual 'are we there yet?'.

My palms were damp and sweaty as I held onto the large sign in my hands. No more video calls, no more counting days. I blinked a couple of pressuring tears away, suppressing the sniffling threatening to arrive. I've waited for so long and now the wait was over. It almost sounded too good to be true but miracles can happen. And today was one of those days.

When three black double-deckers rounded the corner of the parking lot, squeals and cheers erupted from the continuously increasing crowd, waving with banners and signs. In the hope of getting a glimpse of the first men to get off the busses, I stretched my neck more than it was human possible. Looking like a giraffe, I searched and searched with my widened eyes, hoping I could spot the familiar combat boots and camo that belonged with me. I was rooted to the ground, the mass of people kept growing, allowing me to stay in put and not move too much but nothing could stop me as I feverishly walked around, turning my head once in awhile, hoping two missing faces would pop up. The two men I was dying to see.

That's when I saw him. I forgot everything about time and place. I forgot everything about being an eighteen year-old, I forgot everything about the sign in my hands. I forgot everything about the heels I was wearing when I stormed ahead, ignoring the cries and the happy laughters surrounding me. The tears were trying to catch up with each other, rolling down my face with high speed.

"Dad!!!" I shouted happily, surely causing people to turn around by the outburst but I didn't care, they could stare for eternity if they liked. The big built man didn't stand a chance when I jumped him, clinging onto him like a monkey climbing its favorite tree. He grinned in surprise noticing my eagerness, lifting me up from the ground.

"My sweet princess." I felt his arms encircle me, keeping me tight, almost convincing me it would stay this way forever. Such a lie, unfortunately.

"I missed you so much." I cried into his chest, probably staining the green fabric. I breathed in his scent, calming down by the move. Feeling the softness of his hand caressing my back, I felt drowsy, dig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter