- 04 -

Heroes Don't Wear Capes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today I experienced something I had never thought would happen in my wildest dreams.
I saw my dad glued to the kitchen as if it was his mission to feed the entire city.
Watching how he occasionally removed the prominent sweat on his forehead, I couldn't decide whether I should offer him my help or not. This was one hell of a sight.
Last time I did, we ended up fighting about stupid things like how steaks were supposed to be cooked.

He wanted to put the steaks in the oven. I called it blasphemy. You don't put your steaks in the oven by any cost. No. No and no.

Standing in the doorframe, dressed in a decent slinky wrap dress and a pair of velvet-heeled sandals I tilted my head to get a better look on his slicing techniques. He had not noticed my presence yet and that said something about his deep concentration within this matter.
As he was standing hunched over the kitchen table my mind couldn't help but to recall how my mom used to stand there by his side, watching his every move in fear of the outcome.
She was the one in charge of this household whether the Sergeant liked it or not.
My mother wasn't afraid of correcting the macho military husband of hers when something wasn't living up to her standards. If there was a woman or a person in general who could put him in his place it was my mom.

A vague sizzle from one of the pots on the stove caught my attention but before I could fully retrieve the sound, my dad's cry of anger drilled into my soul and that's when I knew that his calm persona from before was nothing but a facade. A burned finger was the trigger.

The big man in front of me was dismantled by a stove.

"Why didn't you ask for help?" I yelled out and quickly stepped forward as I began to save the several dishes the best way I could, running from table to table and from stove to oven.

"I didn't need help and I still don't." He emphasized but I didn't hear any of it.

"Cut it. We both know that this is too much for you. Sit down and relax. I got this." It was a hidden order and I hoped he got the point and did what was told but no, the stubborn man just had to continue defending himself by trying to push me away from the stove. Gently of course.

I took a deep breath trying to control myself as he kept trying to get a hold of the whisk in my hand. The man was desperate and I almost thought I'd lose until I felt him subside.

A moment later, he fell to his knees and a cry left his lips.

It didn't take me a second to drop everything in my hands before I mimicked his actions and bend down, taking him in my arms.

He sobbed and sobbed. Endless tears and I felt a single one leave the corner of my eye too.
I his head repeatedly and kissed his forehead.

"It's okay. I love you." I whispered but I was not sure if he was able to hear me.

He truly was broken.

"Why did she have to leave me like this?!" He cried out incoherently. "My sweet, Eunha."

What would you do if one of your parents cracked like this in front of you? Let me guess you wouldn't have had any idea? Well, that was how I felt in that moment. Totally and utterly helpless.

We are so used to our parents being our shield and our protection. We are used to our parents being strong for us. To be human beings who know exactly how to act when we are the vulnerable ones in the need of love, care and encouragement.

It is never the opposite. So how do you react? It's harder than it seems because I didn't know what to do either. I could only comfort him as much as I was able to in the same way he had comforted me. He was my hero and now I was trying to be his.

"She's not in pain anymore. She is fine now. We will be too. She wouldn't want to see you like this. Be strong. Be strong for her." I was desperate his cheeks. Guests were coming soon and I couldn't let them see him like this. I know he wouldn't want that either and if they did, he wouldn't be able to forgive himself subsequently.

I tightened my hold around him in an attempt for him to realize that it was okay to be hurt. It was okay to seek for help and it was okay to talk about it.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

"Yes." My father exhaled deeply. "She wouldn't want me to be like this." I sensed him getting up and I followed suit.

His hands rested on each side of my head, forcing my gaze to look into his watery eyes. A small smile appeared.

"My beautiful daughter. I love you so much." I closed my eyes as soon as I felt his lips meet my forehead.

"I love you too." I had to be careful not to cry. Again.

Lost for words I squeezed his left hand before he let go and showed him a wide thankful smile.

In that moment I, felt drained from energy emotionally as well as pshysically. Fatigue crept in on me and all I wanted to do was to sleep.

"I have to go to the bathroom." My eyes were already staring at the door to the bathroom outside the hallway when I jerked out of his hold.

Instantly after the door was closed I began patting my cheeks with cold water. I tried my best not to look at my reflection in the mirror because I knew I would look like and I didn't need a mirror to smear it all out on my face.

Breath in. Breath out. Don't cry. Yes, you miss her. Remember what you just said. She's fine. You'll be fine too.

A few knocks on the door shook me out of it.

"Hayoon, are you feeling alright?" I heard my father through the door.

"Yes. Yes. I'm alright. I'm coming." Quickly I grabbed a towel, dabbed my cheeks in a light manner and quickly combed the loose strands through with my fingers.

"You had me worried for a moment." Dad gave me serious look as soon as I stepped out of the bathroom.

I answered with a fake smile he fortunately didn't spot.

"I assure you. Nothing is wrong. C'mon, they'll be here soon. Let's set the table."

And that's how you smoothly shift topic. However, I was grateful that Namjoon had decided to stay out a couple of nights. He would've read me like an open book and I couldn't let that happen. Not now.

I promised I would be strong for my dad and strong I would be.
I was in the midst of assigning the plates correctly when a thought crossed my mind from earlier that day. It was something that had bothered me a lot.

Why weren't Jungkook's relatives present at the ceremony earlier? And who was Jihyun?

I skimmed my dad's figure from the corner of my eyes placing the knives, forks and spoons around the plates. Well. It wouldn't hurt asking a couple of questions. Would it be rude?

I ignored the small warning signs.

"Dad?" I jumped into it. The worst I could receive was a big fat no.

"Yes?" He said, looking up shortly.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked, correcting the last plate.

He stopped in his tracks.

"Of course. That's why I'm here." Flashing me a charming smile, he carefully continued his actions from before.

"I know it's not a part of my business but don't Jungkook have any kind of relatives nearby?"

Placing the last knife beside the plate sorrow began to form on his face.
Now I wasn't so sure whether or not it was a good idea to ask such a personal question.

"He has. Unfortunately." My brows furrowed and my dad noticed my confused state, wanting an elaboration.

"I'm not supposed to tell you this. Yes, he has relatives." His answers only ignited my curiosity.

"Why aren't they around? Like at the ceremony? Or at the homecoming?"

He lifted a finger in order for me to stop my little interrogation, so I did.
Sighing he sat down on one of the chairs and stared out of the window. Clouds were blocking the sunrays from time to time and oddly enough, the sun had disappeared as soon as he'd sat down.

The grey sky was dull, much like the current atmosphere in the dining room.

"His parents aren't exactly fond of his profession." He turned his head in my direction. I don't think I had ever listened this carefully to something before but in that moment I was all ears.

"Jungkook was a good kid. Well he still is of course. Always hardworking, diligent and incredibly loyal to his battalion. A sergeant's dream" A faint smile showed itself but was soon after replaced with remorse.

"Jihyun was just like that too. Helpful, kind and beautiful. Soldiers got injured on purpose so they had an excuse to go see the sweet camp nurse. She was truly beloved among the soldiers. One day there was a sudden attack near the camp and because of the serious damage, the wounded soldiers couldn't go anywhere. The treatment had to come to them, why Jihyun along with doctors, rescuers and soldiers headed into the warzone. Jungkook was one of the wounded soldiers that day." He sighed deeply and continued afterwards.

"She was helping one of our men when another attack occurred. Jihyun didn't survive. As for Jungkook." There was a moment of silence and during that time, I noticed how the silent tears were pouring down my face.

"A part of him died with her that day."

"The parents never recovered from the loss. They demanded their only son to quit the army and come home to a normal life in peace. Jungkook couldn't. It was his life. How do you throw away everything you stand for? Your passion? Your life? They couldn't accept his choices as much as they wanted to. After Jihyun's death he lost all contact with his family. I shouldn't have told you all that but you are my daughter and I trust you and your judgement."

I nodded, unable to speak. All air had vanished from my lungs. My throat was itchy and it burned. I felt pain. His pain.
There was awkward silence after that story. I had no idea what to say or what to do.
"Well. Look at that. The guests will be arriving anytime now. Go clean up, I'll take care of the rest." My father looked up from his watch and gave me an encouraging smile I could only return. When I made sure that he was not joking I left and headed upstairs to my old room.

It was always there I lived when I came home on visits.

I was impressed. During the little story telling I'd managed to ruin my make-up and now I looked like a racoon. Fortunately, it was easy to fix.

Nobody deserved such fate. How did he even make it through the day? He must have felt completely helpless that day with himself being injured and incapable of saving his sister.

I couldn't imagine what life would be like if I didn't have Namjoon by my side or knew that he was very well alive.

It was a scenario I had excluded out of my mind.

I was a good as ready when my phone roared from the other side of the room, wanting my attention.
I didn't look at the screen but I had a feeling it wasn't necessary.

", this is so not happening!" I accepted the call when Sora blasted through the phone and I had to keep it away from my ear in order to keep my sense of hearing a little longer.

Wow, that girl could scream.

"Well, hello to you too." I mocked.

"Oh, hello. I can't believe it! My sweet Melvin broke down in the middle of the highway! I heard him die. What's the odds?!"

"Wait. What?!" I replied, a part of me shocked. Sora was invited to our dinner too and if she didn't make it I would be surrounded by pure testosterone. I could absolutely not handle that.

"Yes. I lost Melv-"

"How far away are you?" I stared out of the window looking from side to side in case. There was a silent period with Sora's hard breathing as the only communication before she finally responded.

"8 miles, tops."

I exhaled deeply before eventually concluding that I had to ask my dad for help. I asked for her directions and she thanked me a million

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter