- 03 -

Heroes Don't Wear Capes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"That's it. I'm done. I'm never gonna drink again. Mark my words!" Shooting me a firm stare Sora pointed a finger in my direction but let it felll again as she seized the glass of water and Aspirins on the nightstand beside her.

I tsk'ed at her. "We both know that's never going to happen. Your first word was 'alcohol', what did you expect?" A wise woman once told me that you shouldn't make promises you can't keep. I guess I had to teach Sora a thing or two about that motto.

Sora hummed pressing her lips together pensively as she nodded in silence.

"Ugh, I hate when you are right." There was no hesitation in her actions when the content of the glass along with the pills were shoved down too fast for my liking. My eyes were locked on the girl resting against the headboard surrounded by her crazy mane.

She wasn't exactly the definition of a sleeping beauty but she didn't have to, I liked her either way. Ugly in the morning or not.

Looking rather hopeless she stared at the empty glass she'd placed on the nightstand beside her just a moment ago. She pursed her lips in pity.

"It hurts so much!" She cried out, her head pounding into the fluffy white duvet. Though it wasn't the first time she'd have a massive hangover my heart still ached for her. That's what friends are for, right?

As the considerate girl I was I couldn't let her be alone when she woke up. The worst thing about the day after was the oblivion especially when you've been like Sora, consuming more strong liquid than tolerable. The feeling of not knowing how the hell you got home last night was the worst and since I didn't get much sleep that night I decided to wake up quite early and lock myself inside her apartment before she gained consciousness.

I would be there for her. And maybe I could forget Jungkook too.

"That's what you get when you jump on the shot-wagon at 11 pm." I sang with a chuckle.

Not bothering lifting her head from the duvet she flipped me off with a determined middle finger I couldn't help but to laugh out loud.

I jumped on the bed before she could get any more grumpy and hugged the life out of her duvet covered body.

"Okay, enough of me and my stupid escapades. Who was that tattoo covered hunk?" You've gotta be kidding me. Wriggling her eyebrows she finally graced us with her physical presence as the duvet was kicked off. Her teasing yet stubborn gaze told me that I had no other option but to spill but I had to disappoint her because honestly I had no idea who the guy was.

"I don't know who he is." I answered honestly, pushing myself forward so I too was resting against the headboard.

"I don't believe you." She said flatly fiddling with her nails before she looked up.

"A man like him doesn't go for a good girl like you unless he has a motive." Her eyes narrowed as she studied me down to every detail. I felt like I was being interrogated by Mr. Holmes himself. The only difference was that Sora was uncomparable to Sherlock. Her abilities were from another planet. Creepy.

Any other girl would have been offended by her statement, however I wasn't like most girls.

I sighed. "I really don't know. He just came out of nowhere. Perhaps, he just wanted to talk? And since I was alone at that time, well, why not? It's not like it requires major reasons."

"It still smells kinda fishy." She countered, peering at me from a peripheral view.

"I don't trust that guy." She stated and I could only nod. I had to agree although I wanted to believe the best in every person. Something was definitely off.

As the conversation about Mr. Mystery guy died down, Sora's mood changed quickly as she turned in her seat facing me while changing the subject.

"Ooh, I remember a certain soldier eating you up with his eyes last night." She was full of smiles and I felt myself flush red. That was not exactly how I recall it. More like a curious glance just like mine.

"He did not!" I lashed out at her in embarrassment which only fueled her fire even more.

"He so did." She teased dodging my miserable attempt of hurting her.

"You were wasted you don't know that!" My outburst only testified how much I was trying to save my honor. Without luck it seemed from the sheepish smile on her face to tell.

"No, but your reaction says everything. You fancy him, don't you?" She propped herself down beside me, resting her chin against her palms.

I could really have used that duvet.

Rolling with my eyes I knew I was in deep no matter what I did or said because fact was that he was intriguing me.

"No, I don't." I clarified, crossing my arms in the process.

Her smile widened playfully. "Yes, you do."

"Why do you never believe in anything I say?!" I wanted to take the nearest item and smash her in the head with it so hard she at least achieved some sort of sensibility. Whenever she asked me something and I responded she always told me I was full of bull. What did I do wrong?!

"Because I can read you like an open book, honey and when I say you fancy army boy you totally fancy him."

I hated her. I hated her for being so annoyingly correct. She was right. I did think he was swoon worthy. I did think he was handsome. I did think he was fascinating and there was no way I could deny it.

"Touché." This time I didn't hesitate as the pillow suddenly found its way to her face. Oops.

"." I heard her mutter into the pillow and I somehow gained some of my dignity back. Some.

"And so what? He's off limits anyway." I stated retracting the pillow slowly, pulling my legs up behind me.

"Off limits?" She burst out and got up on her knees. Obviously, she wasn't satisfied with what I was saying.

"Girl, he's as available as he could ever be! Just go for it. What have you got to lose?"

Everything. I didn't tell her. I didn't tell her about my fears. I didn't reveal any of my worries. She wouldn't understand. I couldn't let myself get attached to someone I could lose within a blink of an eye. I would never be strong enough for that.

It was enough praying for Namjoon and my father's safety everyday. Having a third part you had to pray for was just an unbearable thought and no matter how much I wanted to live in the moment and hope for the best I had to stay realistic and grasped.

I couldn't live with the fear of not seeing his face again. I didn't want to hear the promises I knew he couldn't keep.

It was better keeping a distance despite the hardship. Yes, I was deeply attracted by Jungkook but it had to be a detached fascination. I could never let him in.

My conclusion? Jeon Jungkook was not meant for a broken girl like me.

Getting back to my senses and the bouncing girl in front of me I shrugged her off, not having a decent answer to her question because honestly I had no idea what to say without hinting that something was wrong and that was the last thing I wanted to do.

She wouldn't understand.

"Are you excited for the official homecoming later?" I asked changing subject in the hope of her not noticing my uneasiness. Today was not only planned for hangovers it was also the day the city mayor along with interested citizens would pay their tribute to the returned soldiers and officers.

I wouldn't miss it for anything though I found it very hypocritical and odd. What was the point of celebrating hundreds of soldiers' homecoming when we all knew they were going to leave again soon? Perhaps not even coming back alive?

I didn't like it but I couldn't stay away. Both my father and Namjoon expected my presence just like they always did.

Fortunately, my question made all her previous questions and interrogations disappear as she now stared dreamily into space, surely picturing my brother inside her head. That was something I would never get used to. Ever.

"I sure do. Watching your brother in his uniform is a sight I'll never get tired of." Oh, just give me that bucket for crying out loud. That was sickening.

"I think I might puke." I grimaced which earned a warning glare from Sora. But honestly she would feel the same thing if she was in my shoes.

"Yeah, that's what you say now but someday.."

Damn, if I just knew she was right.

 

~~

 

"Does my hat sit okay?"

"Yes." I exhaled out in slight frustration. My father was far more worse than high schoolers on prom day. Running around the house like a maniac making sure everything was perfect down to the smallest detail. Everything from his clothes to the event itself he was unstoppable.

"Are you sure? I think it looks kind of skewed." Standing in front of the mirror in the hallway, he was examining himself in his uniform. He was wearing the more prestigious one than usual due to the event. Unfortunately, meaning more small details and more uncertainty to worry about.

Dear God, it was a public testosterone-filled homecoming not a fashion show. I guessed it was something my father had not realized yet. Namjoon was just as bad. Stupid genes.

I've been sitting in the kitchen of my childhood home waiting half an hour for the two idiots to get finished and there was still no signs of a possible leave. Instead, several memories from yea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter