Close Your Eyes

Synchronization of Your Dreams

A beautiful spring day in April. The temperature just right, the wind not too strong, the sun shining brightly onto a girl making her way through the crowded streets. She was walking home from school. Usually she would walk with friends or her boyfriend but everyone was busy after school today so she walked alone. All she wanted to do was jump into bed and sleep, but she had chores and homework to do so that had to wait.

When she walked through the door of her huge, two story house she heard her mother welcome her home. She replied, walked to her room, threw her backpack on the ground and collapsed onto her bed. Sighing, she thought she should get started on her assignments. Tonight was definitely a night to sleep early.

~~~~

She jumped on her bed and finally settled in after the long, hard day. Thoughts about her day were racing in her head. She stared at the ceiling unable to close her eyes. A wave of uneasiness washed over her. She sat up and looked around. She suddenly felt as if someone was watching her. She got up, walked to the window and gazed out of it. She couldn’t see anything outside nor in her room that would create this feeling. Though she couldn’t shake the feeling, she laid back down and attempted to sleep.

Close your eyes to the cold world

Lie on your bed

Block both your ears

Yesterday is today, today is yesterday.

You're just full of overdue blame

    She heard a faint, eerie song, but oddly this didn’t startle her. She could feel herself drifting.

We’ll take it slow (baby baby)

We’ll take it slow

 

    Slowly she closed her eyes. Blackness engulfed her.

~~~~~

As if we’re in the same dream

A familiar song calls out to me

I finally connected

You should accept me

That song.

She jolted awake. Her eyes shot open.

Where is it coming from?

She sluggishly sat up and moved herself so she could place her feet on the ground. She slowly lifted her hand while sand poured out of it. She couldn’t tear her eyes away until the grains all hit the bed she was sitting on.

Where am I?

Her eyes raised to assess the room around her. The room was filled with miscellaneous objects, nothing of real importance. There was a fish tank, a chair, several tables, a window covered with blankets, a lamp that gave off a small amount of light, and when she looked up, a moving ceiling fan. The room had an eerie feeling to it, a feeling she couldn’t shake off. What really caught her attention was the path of sand leading out of the room. She wanted to follow it. Wanted to see where it led, the urge was so strong that her body stood on it’s own. Her mind occupied with thoughts of whether she should go or not.

What if she just stayed in the room? What if she followed the trail? Where would it take her?

She took one step forward before pausing. Images of danger flashed across her mind. She wanted so badly to stay in that small room, fall asleep again and hope she would wake up in her own bedroom. However, she was curious, and that curiosity is what fueled her to take another step.

And then another

And another

Until she was standing right in the frame of the door. Another step would take take her outside of the eerie room.

She hesitated yet again, before finally making up her mind and allowing herself to follow the path.

~~~~

She cautiously made her way down a dimly lit hallway. It had many turns and felt like it went on forever. At this point, the sand filled the entire width of the hallway instead of being a small trail.

Even if yesterday is a repeat of itself i'm okay

I walk through depths of darkness

Get over yesterday, look at the real truth that’s hidden

Her steps faltered when she heard that song playing again. She slipped and fell into the sand. A feeling of uneasiness and panic took over while she laid there. She didn’t want to move. She didn’t want to keep walking.

The song

Who was playing it?

It beckoned her, she wanted nothing more than to find out who was playing it. She closed her eyes and listened for a few more minutes until she realized something. It didn’t sound like it was being played. It sounded more like an actual person was singing it. Another person that’s possibly trapped here like she is.

She sprang up from the sand and started running down the hallway toward the singer. She slipped a couple times on the sand but was determined to get to the unknown boy. A door came into her line of sight. She stopped in front of it, relieved that she was going to get out of this hallway. The singing had stopped, so she didn’t know if this is where it was coming from. She walked through the door into the room. It was filled with sand, sheets were hanging down from every wall and sticks of light were jutting out of the walls and the floor. They dimly lit the room, just enough for her to see around. She just stood in the middle of the room, unsure of what to do next.

This was the only time she wished to hear that song again. She wanted to see other people, to know that she wasn’t the only one trapped.

She felt sick and full of panic. She felt as if she was being watched again, just as she did in her bedroom. Though she didn’t know why, she had the sudden urge to turn around. Cautiously and slowly she turned against her will.

A soft gasp escaped her lips as her gaze fell upon a boy.