Chapter 6: Different

Hold My Hand

 

         The next day, Luhan left early to go to the council meeting. Seohyun had nothing to do here at the palace. So she sneaked out to just walk around the town. She strolled around the marketplace looking at the things. She saw things that she’s never seen in her life and was very fascinated.

 

         The air was filled with savory scent of the market food and the street was lit by the glistening ornaments, which caught the girl’s eyes. She saw a simple hairpin with a red gem in the center. But soon, she put it down and continued on down the street. Walking mindlessly amongst the crowd, she did not pay attention to what was in front of her. Or who.

 

BAM

 

As Joohyun turned around a corner, she bumped hard into someone’s chest. She looked up and saw a man who looked like he was from the noble class.

 

“I apologize, sir,” the girl said bowing her head.

 

“I’m fine. Now watch your steps,” the man coldly said and walked away.

 

Joohyun was used to these cold treatments, but today, it just felt weird.

 

Then she saw Prince Luhan running towards her from afar. With beads of sweat running down his neck, he stopped in front of her.

 

“Why did you leave without a word? Do you know how worried I was? I thought you left!” he said with a loud volume in a way that he has never spoken to her before.

 

Joohyun was taken aback by this side of him, which was unlike his normal gentle side.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to get mad at you. I was just… worried when I didn’t see you in your room. I thought you left,” Luhan said in his quiet soothing voice.

 

Joohyun didn’t know what to say. Luhan was worried for her and came running, searching for her.

 

“Anyways, let’s head back home,” Luhan said as he reached for her hand.

 

         As soon as his hand touched the tip of her fingers, she pulled back because, first, the word “home” sounded so foreign yet warm and second, he tried to touch her. The only physical touch she experienced was violence so that was the natural reaction for her. Luhan was also surprised and realized that his action, although it may seem like a light action, was still uncomfortable for her.

 

Trying to break the uncomfortable pause, Joohyun said, “Let’s go,’’ and began walking.

 

They walked in silence. Luhan thought she opened up a bit, but it seemed like there is no progress.

 

         They got to the palace. Luhan took her to her room and then left. Joohyun knew he was a busy person and could not always stay by her side. But there was nothing for her to do at the palace since she didn’t know anyone there. After awhile, she got tired of sitting in her room so she decided to roam around the palace. 

 

         As she walked around the big palace, she received stares and talks about her by the maids, the servants, and everyone passing by her.

 

“I heard Prince Luhan took her in! Is she going to be his concubine or something?”

 

“I bet it won’t be long until she leaves this place so don’t mind.”

 

“How can the Prince bring in a woman of low status into his palace! What a shame!”

 

         She heard insulting words about her, but also the Prince. She was a shame to the Prince, tarnishing his honor and name. She wondered herself, “How long am I going to stay here? Why is the Prince keeping me here?” 

 

         She entered slowly into the garden with these thoughts, just feeling the fragrance that surrounds this place. As she approached the bench, she saw a familiar figure. It was Prince Luhan. He seemed… different. He seemed to be lost in his thought. His eyes were filled with worry, fear, and sadness. For the first time, she found some similarities between him and herself.

 

Soon, Luhan noticed someone’s presence and looked up.  

 

“Hey Joohyun,” Luhan greeted lightly, back to his warm and gentle self.

 

“I.. I just came out to get some fresh air,” Joohyun explained.

 

“Me too. Here, sit,” Luhan said with a smile as he tapped the space next to him, signaling her to sit.

 

Joohyun sat carefully next to him, leaving a bit of space between them. And even now, the voices she heard on the way filled her mind. 

 

“So, is anything bothering you? Are you comfortable here?” Luhan asked.

 

“Why do you look out for me when you yourself are filled with worries and problems of your own?” Joohyun questioned back.

 

Luhan was surprised by her keen remarks.

 

“I want to know you,” Luhan said.

 

Joohyun didn’t know how to take his words in.

 

“Everyone has their troubles and worries. But with you, I don’t want to have to think about those. I just want to get to know you, Joohyun,” Luhan said looking into her eyes.

 

“You want to know about me? You want to know about what I’ve been through? I bet you’ll never understand because you have always grown up here in this fancy palace. We're just too different,” Joohyun said coldly.

 

Luhan was speechless.

 

“And I don’t know what you want from me, but you can’t keep me in here forever,” Joohyun said and left the place.

 


 

Hello everyone! I'm back with an update! Thank you to those who subscribed! It means alot. Please continue to subscribe, comment, and vote! Hope you enjoy~

P.S. - Next chapter will reveal more about their past and Luhan's feelings!