Chapter 7: Back Then

Hold My Hand

 

Nine years ago, when Luhan was ten years old. 

 

“Hyung! My kite broke!” Sehun came running with his broken kite.

 

“Do you want to use mine?”

 

“Can I?”

 

“Of course, Sehun,” Luhan said as he handed him his kite.

 

So that afternoon, Luhan went out to get another kite for them. Because he liked to walk around, he knew where to go even without his bodyguards or maid. As he was returning home after he bought his kites, he saw a beautiful kite floating around in the air. Curious, he walked towards the direction. In a remote field, there was beautiful girl flying a kite. The boy Luhan just stood there watching the girl run around with the kite. Then suddenly, the girl tripped and fell. At the sight, Luhan ran to her.

 

“Are you okay?” Luhan asked as he tried to help her up.

 

The girl was surprised by his approach and hit off his hand saying, “I’m fine.”

 

The small girl stood up and brushed off the dirt from her skirt. Her knee was bleeding but she didn’t even cry. She was a tough little girl.

 

“But you’re bleeding,” Luhan said with worry.

 

“This is nothing,” she said as she picked up her kite, which was now broken.

 

“Seo Joohyun!” a loud angry voice called out.

 

At the sound, fear immediately crept into Joohyun. Noticing that, Luhan held her hand and ran.

 

“Come with me!”

 

The girl, surprised by his actions, couldn’t do anything and ran with him. Luhan pulled her behind a big tree and hid together.

 

“What’s your name?” Luhan asked.

 

The girl was hesitant, but then answered, “I’m Seo Joohyun.”

 

“Pretty name. I’m..,” the boy’s words were caught off by the girl’s finger stopping him.

 

The footsteps got closer and closer. The girl didn’t want the boy to get hurt so she turned to him.

 

“Promise me you’ll stay here,” the girl said.

 

“What? Why? Where will you go?” Luhan asked.

 

“If you don’t come out, we’ll be able to meet again. So whatever you see, just remain still and silent here, okay?” the girl said.

 

The girl’s tone was fierce, but her eyes spoke fear.

 

“Okay,” the boy reluctantly answered.

 

         After hearing his reply, the girl jumped out. After that, all he heard was the girl screaming. But because he made the promise, he sat there, hands closing his ears tightly, waiting for her to come get him.

 

But the girl never came. It was dark and he couldn’t find the girl. He slowly walked home, not being able to forget what had happened that day.

 

         From time to time, he dreamt about the girl. He wasn’t sure if it was a nightmare or not, but it definitely wasn’t a sweet dream. He couldn’t erase her from his memories. Maybe it was guilt that made him step up and protect her. Back then, he was small and weak, but now, he wasn't. Now he wanted to protect her from anything and everything. And Luhan didn't even know that this young feeling of responsibility and guilt would soon be turned into what others would call love.