Chapter 2: Distance

Hold My Hand

 

"Prince Luhan! Where were you at this hour?"

 

"I was just taking a walk Auntie," the man replied.

 

"You left after dinner and it took you this long?"

 

"Did you worry about me? I'm sorry," the Prince said with a sweet smile.

 

The old lady couldn't help but to smile.

 

"Well, you should go to bed now."

 

"I will, Auntie. Good night!" he said as he waved and headed to his room.

 

There was a reason why he came back so late.

 

Flashback

 

The girl just got up and left.

 

He just stood and watched her leave. She seemed so fragile and hurt. This was only their second encountering, but something inside of him made him want to protect her. Slowly and carefully, he followed her, watching her feebly walk. He followed her until he saw her go into this inn.

 

"So this is where she is staying," he thought to himself.

 

After he saw the lights turn off, he moved his steps back home.

 

End of flashback.

 

From that day, he walked the long miles just to get a glimpse of her everyday. Just from afar.

 

The girl spent each day working hard. At night she would just sit down and look up at the moon and wondered what she was working for. She didn't have any dreams or goals. It was a meaningless life. And the one thing controlling her life was fear. She was afraid that her father will find her and take her back to her old life. She didn't want to lose this freedom. She was just starting to explore the world around her.

 

She was spending her normal day, serving food and drinks. After another tiring day of work, she was getting ready to clean up. Then a man with familiar figure came in.

 

"One bottle of makguli please," he spoke in the same sweet voice.

 

She was a bit surprised at another "coincidental" meeting.

 

She served him what he ordered and left. From the side, she observed him. She was getting curious. He slowly turned his head towards her and their eyes met. Taken aback by the sudden eye contact, she turned away and left.

 

She was outside breathing in the cold night air. Then the man approached her.

 

"How is life here?" he asked.

 

The unusual warmth and kindness in his voice was just so unfamiliar for the girl.

 

"Why do you ask? You know nothing about me," she replied coldly.

 

"I do not know much, but I can see it in your eyes. I see fear," he said as he looked into her eyes.

 

She, again, avoid the eye contact.

 

"I don't need you to tell me that," she said bitterly, recognizing the fear that has taken over her life.

 

 "Have you done anything about? Do you fight against that fear?"

 

What is he trying to do? Why is he asking these questions and who is he anyways?

 

"Sir, do you pity me?" she asked.

 

"Maybe compassion," he simply replied.

 

"Then take it back. You don't know what kind of girl I am," she said and returned inside.