In Between Trust and Anonymity

The Thin Line In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Irene’s POV]

“Why not?” I instantly regretted it as soon as the words left my mouth.

“Thanks, noona.” He just said quickly, smiling sincerely with a bit of melancholy evident in his face. I just nodded at him before turning my back to him to go to where our manager was but was stopped midway by Bogum’s hands clasped at my right elbow.

I turned back to him, brows raised, “Uhm.” I hummed awkwardly as I looked at his hand purposefully, confused by the sudden contact in between us.

“So—sorry.” He stuttered embarrassedly as he let go of my arm. “I just wanted to say, I’ll pick you up later.”

“No.” I instinctively answered, “No need. I got it. Just, uhm, tell me where you want to meet.” I said a breath after. I watched him scratch his neck with his left hand, as if he just figured out it came out wrong and out of the line of him.

“I, uh…” He stammered, “I don’t have your number.”

“Oh.” I reacted nonchalantly, “Right.”

And before I knew it he suddenly said, “I’m sorry.”

“What for?” I frowned lightly upon his apology, “For not knowing my number?” I chuckled after, as if telling him he’s not making any sense. He just slightly smiled, head bowed down whilst he’s back to scratching his neck.

“It’s okay.” I smiled back at him, “I uhmm…” I stammered midway and looked down, moving my gaze away from him. I thought of what to say next and realized I don’t know how to go on. My manager and I are about to leave as Seulgi has a schedule he needs to tend to. Hence, I can’t exactly wait for him to decide where to meet but I just can’t get myself to give my number to him either. It would just string us even more. And besides, the less we talk to each other the better. That’s where I started to frown, what have I gotten myself into?

I should just cancel, “Now that I thought about it…” I started and bit my lip, “Can I take a rain check?” I asked as I looked up to him. His embarrassment was gone in an instant and was replaced with a sad yet understanding smile.

He just nodded, “Sure, noona.” He replied, voice low but still tried to smile, “I understand. Sorry for asking. I know you’re busy and all. Have a happy weekend even when I’m sure I’ve ruined it for you. I’m sorry again.” He made a ninety-degree bow and noticed how the staff were starting to linger around us. Well, damn.

“Hey.” I called out to him and winced as I tried to touch his shoulders to tell him to stand up straight, “What did I say about the sorry(s)?”

He just stood straight and smiled at me, still quite sadly. And for a moment, he reminded me of a kicked puppy and no one likes it when puppies are kicked, myself including me. “I’ll go ahead, noona. I don’t want to hold you up any longer. I’ll see you next week.” And with that, he turned around and walked towards the other way, heading for our waiting room, shoulders straight but head bowed down.

Ignore it, Joohyun. I told myself quite strongly. I took a deep sigh and saw my manager from where he was standing, fumbling with his phone, waiting for me patiently. I looked back at Bogum. I’m really not willing to give him my number but I think we really need to address our situation personally; the staff was hovering around us too. They must have thought we got into some kind of a big fight. I clenched my teeth tightly. Well, no one said it’s going to be easy. I realized I was staring at Bogum’s back for too long and noticed how he started to clench his fist quite tightly and I just can’t take it anymore,

“Bogum-ah.” I called softly yet quite loudly at the same time, surprising myself. Bogum turned his head right back at me as if he instinctively stopped walking as soon as he heard me call out to his name. Great. I even dropped the honorifics. I might have gone crazy after the whole sham. I noticed how the other staff turned their heads right where I was standing, smiling fondly at me. Well, at us. I just shook my head lightly. I know it’s unlike me to just put my walls down to colleagues and hang out freely but I walked towards him anyway and bowed as I smiled slightly at the staff looking at us as if to apologize for the scene I caused.

“I… uh…” I started as soon as I got in front of him and noticed how he turned a bit red. This time he turned his body around to face me. Of course, he was caught off guard. “Sorry.” I said nonchalantly, “I, uhm, I just wanted to tell you that we can meet.”

“Are you sure, noona?” He asked, blinking his eyes as innocently as if he just heard me wrong, “I don’t want to hold you up from anything important.”  He added.

“No,” I assured him, “I’m free. I just have to tell my manager that we’ll meet for a while.” I supplied as I pointed my thumbs right behind me to express my manager’s just right before me. “Just meet me at La Pomme’s,” I told him. Something I should have done right off that bat to avoid what went on before us. Seriously, I must be seriously out of it to fail to address the whole situation right away. “Do you know where that is?” I asked him lightly despite the gears inside my head.

“It doesn’t matter. I’ll know how to get there.” He replied instantly, voice soft and velvety. Well, he’s popular for a reason.

“Then, I’ll see you.” I just smiled at him before turning my back from where he was standing and went straight to my manager.

“Sorry, oppa. That took quite a while.” I said as soon as I reached where our manager was standing. He just looked up from his phone.

He nodded as he handed my bag, “It’s okay. I figured you were bound to talk anyway.” He shrugged it off.

I took my bag from him and slung it on my shoulders, “We decided to meet afterward. Is that okay?” I nonchalantly asked him, thinking it wouldn’t be a big deal. They were the ones who got us in this mess in the first place.

“Yeah.” He shrugged, “You’re free anyway.”

“Okay.” I nodded my head, “Just uhm, can you drop me at La Pomme’s first before you fetch Seulgi? We set the place there.”

“Sure.” He replied. “Just be careful and stay discreet. People’s eyes are going to be on you. It hasn’t been long since the news got out. But you don’t need to worry about the media. We paid them to stop tailing you during non-official schedules.” He reassured as he reminded me. I just nodded. I guess that settles it.

“Switch into comfortable clothes first. I personally asked for an empty waiting room for you. I knew it’s going to be awkward when they suddenly packed the both of you in a single one.” He informed me as he started to walk to lead me where the room was. Our manager wasn’t really that bad despite the sham. I’ve always known that.

“Thanks.” I said sincerely as I followed him.

I switched to comfortable clothes, shaving off the fancy dress I was wearing earlier and changed it into a white turtle-necked long sleeves tucked in black jeans, white sneakers on toes. Our manager dropped me off at La Pomme’s and I found myself staring at it whilst standing at the entrance. La Pomme’s was my favorite café, it was a discreet, low-key pastry house in Garosu-gil. It was a quiet place adorned in French interior, mimicking the elegant yet serene cafés in Paris. Apart from the great ambiance, they make the best Grape fruit tea to ever exist in the world. I pursed my lips and realized this was where I was supposed to go to last Wednesday before the whole fiasco rolled in.

“Where did I go wrong?” I mumbled silently as I looked up in the sky, the dusk is near and I can already tell it from the nautical twilight. I suddenly felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, breaking my trance. I took it out and looked at the screen,

Junmyeoni

I sighed slightly, remembering his text from earlier. I have replied to my members but forgot to text him back. He must have been worried.

“Hey.” I greeted as soon as I picked up.

“Hi.” He said after a beat, “Sorry I called first. I just… I was thinking you didn't get my text and…”

“You got a bit impatient?” I cut him off with a chuckle.

He just lightly laughed back, “Yeah.” He paused, “Are you free?” He asked after a heart beat.

"Not at the “moment.” I replied comfortably. We’ve always hung out as much as we can. Junmyeon has been one of my closest friends even before I debuted. He and I met during our trainee days. I have always been tad a bit shy compared to others but he was the opposite. He was outgoing, warm and amiable. Maybe, that’s the reason why he was the first male trainee in our company to approach me and try to talk to me. I’ve always known that I do come off as a bit icy when not speaking. Hence, it must have scared a lot of my colleagues but he approached me like it was the most natural thing to do so.  He and I clicked the moment he tripped in front of me that Spring inside one of the dancing studios in our company.

"Why not? Aren’t you free after Music Bank?” He asked, confusion evident in his voice. "Oh." He blabbered , as if realizing something, “Are you meeting with that kid?” He asked after an instant. He is so going to get the wrong idea but at least to a certain extent he might not second guess the notion of me dating my co-mc.

“Yeah.” I admitted honestly.

“Figures.” He responded, voice low. I frowned, he sounded too dejected but I brushed it off. I don’t want to overthink right now. This is Junmyeon I am speaking about. He sees me as a comfortable, reliable, long-time friend. That’s all. “But can you hang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter