In Between Resistance and Resilience

The Thin Line In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a Wednesday morning and I’m feeling good. My week lightly went on, I attended my schedules and dance practices with my members. It’s been a year since I entered the show business and at this point, I think I’m doing fairly well. I’m exactly where I want to be. Not too known nor unknown. I get to perform at stages and attend variety shows but at the same time be able to get out as much as I can without a big crowd recognizing me. I’m almost as free as a bird today aside from the dance practice me and my members are supposed to have later this afternoon. I figured out that I can take a light stroll in the streets for a while before then, pay a visit to my favorite café at the same time too. Oh, this is going to be a good day. I stretched my arms and tied my hair in a bun, I was wearing a white tee shirt tucked in a high-waist denim shorts. I picked up my bag and wore my shoes in the door way. I tip-toed to check the screen of the view outside our door as a protocol and gasped by the sight. Reporters were flooded outside our dorm room. I frowned at the sight, what the hell happened? I landed my foot flatly on the floor and contemplated what to do. Right, call manager oppa. I took out my phone and as if on cue, my manager was calling me already.

“Yobuseyo?” I answered lightly as I continued to stare reporters outside.

“Irene, don’t get outside for a while.”

“Bogum and you are dating.” My manager nonchalantly announced as if it was something I’m supposed to be expecting. I was sitting inside a conference room in our company. Our manager came to fetch me in our dorm and had to call security just so I can get out without getting dragged by the group of reporters camping around our area.

“We’re what?” I dumb-foundedly reacted as I scoffed; my brows in a crease as my manager said something that does not make sense at all.

“We confirmed you’re dating.” He replied casually as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

“But, we’re not.” I emphasized as sharply as I can.

“You are.” He fought back with a slight smile.

“Of course, we are not.” I just replied lightly again, “You know the real deal oppa. You’re always with me every Friday.” I noted as I looked at him straight in the eye.

“I am. And, I’m telling you, you’re dating.”  He simply continued to insist; quite igniting my instinct to punch our manager in his face.

“Just tell me what you’re scheming.” I gave up with a sigh, trying to conceal the frustration inside me. “You and I both know fully well that Bogum-shi and I are nothing but mere colleagues.” I said finally.

“Alright, alright.” He ultimately surrendered, as he raised his palms in the air. I simply took a light breath and stared at him as I waited for him to speak out.

He took the empty seat across me, “You see, your MC partner here was caught going out at the event you had a few weeks ago.” He started out, “Do you remember that night at Busan?” He asked me while I just nodded slightly. Of course, I do remember. “He was leaving the event’s premise with his girlfriend.”

“What that does have something to do with me?” I slightly frowned and so he was caught. I’ve already known about the existence of his girlfriend, I’ve been told quite a few times. That’s why I tried to be as careful as I can when I am around. However, why am I entangled within the situation?

“Well, you see Joohyun, his girlfriend happened to wear clothes as identical as yours that day.” Our manager briefly replied.

“And?” I raised my brows even harder, “And so we happen to share the same clothes. So, what?” I shrugged my shoulders. I am currently involved in such a simple situation, why are they making this sound so complicated?

“What do you mean so?” he asked, confused while I scoffed lightly in return.

“Oppa, why not just deny it? The articles are already false to begin with.” I reasoned out, still calmly.

“We know.” He coolly answered. “But…”

“But, what?” I asked, completely confused and starting to feel a bit of frustration.

“We already confirmed it.” He innocently answered while I just gasped in disbelief.

“You, what?” My eyes were wide this time. And I simply can’t believe the words that just came out from his mouth.

“We thought it would be good for you.” He replied with a steady sigh while my mind went into chaos. “Besides, there was a couple of photographs which included the two of you for real.”

“Good for me?” I repeated with disbelief. “You were the ones who completely told me not to involve myself into any relationship in the beginning years for my career. And, yet you just confirmed one for me and what’s even worse is that; it’s non-existent at all!” I wasn’t able to stop myself this time. The amount of ludicrousness of the whole situation just became too much. “And, how the hell did he and I have a picture together that people that would bring up suspicions. The kid and I barely talks!” I continued exasperatedly.

“Irene, it was good for you.” Our manager announced. “Believe me. It was.” He looked at me in the eye as if willing me to trust the company’s decision. I won’t be lying when I say our manager was trustworthy and he has been around for a while now, he has handled various of celebrities under our label and all of them were successful.

“How was this good for me?” I simply asked him in return. I wanted him to elaborate, why in the world would they do this?

“When we confirmed you were dating; your public recognition skyrocketed.” He started explaining. “Your name has been on the top search ranking for eleven hours now. Articles are written all about you almost minute by minute. You’re basically the talk of the town.” He continued wistfully as if he was a salesman trying to persuade a customer to buy his goods.

“There has got to be a backlash. There always is.” I cupped my forehead in response. There’s always a reason on why entertainment companies ask their celebrities to be careful when it comes to dating. The public is no angel when you do something that can bat its eyelashes on you.

“There were mad fans, of course. But most of th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter