03 LATERS, BYULYI.

Coincidentally On Purpose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART THREE

“That was Yongsun.” Byulyi said with conviction.

“You know what? Solar or Yongsun, whatever her name is. I think you’re being selfish here, Star.” Amber raised an eyebrow at her.

Byulyi sighed, she didn’t have time to explain anything to Amber but just about she was about to speak, their teacher walked in between them. “Girls.” It was their Chemistry teacher, Ms. Huibon. “Classes are about to start. Are you not going inside the room?” Ms. Huibon looked at the two, nodded and walked into the classroom. Amber eyed Byulyi. “We’ll talk later. I guess.” Byulyi just nodded.

Amber pat Byulyi’s back before going in, followed by Byulyi.

Byulyi, once again, couldn’t focus on the lessons being taught in class. This time, not because Yongsun keeps popping into her head, but because Amber keeps on glancing at her, with angry eyes.

After what feels like an eternity, the bell finally rang signaling the end of classes. Byulyi was packing her things when Amber approached her. “Alright, I don’t want to fight with you, Star. Now, spill.”

“Okay.” Byulyi faced Amber and took a deep breath. “I met Yongsun last friday when I stayed behind, I didn’t know she was a new student then nor about her going by the name ‘Solar’, all I noticed was she was unfamiliar yet she wasn’t, somehow.” Byulyi stopped to catch her breath. “Anyway, I felt comfortable around her. I shrugged her unfamiliarity off. She introduced herself to me by the name Kim Yongsun, that’s why I’ve been telling you I don’t know any Solar.” Then she caught her breath.

Amber looked at her, dumbfounded. “Hmm…”

“I’m sorry; I don’t know how to explain it better? Did I get myself across?” Byulyi asked, Amber simultaneously slowly nodded and shook her head. “Uhh. Yes and no?” Byulyi sighed and was surprised when Amber let out a laugh, a genuine one, she raised her eybrow at the other girl.

“Okay so...that’s that. I guess we’re good? For now, of course.” Amber grinned. “What do you mean for now? I already told you what I know.”

“Of course you’d have to introduce her to the gang!” Amber beamed. Byulyi just nodded, it was her plan all along anyway. “Oh yeah! Now let’s get going, yeah?” Amber pulled Byulyi along as they made their way out of the building. As they were walking, it was obvious that Amber was happy about something. She was smiling like a dork and was basically jumping up and down, squealing.

“Why’s she that happy? Did she pass a pop quiz or something?” Hani joined them, followed by Wheein and Hwasa. “What’s with her?” Hwas asked while looking at their subject with judging eyes. Amber tried to contain herself. “Tell ‘em, Star.”

Byulyi sighed. “I told Amber that I’d introduce Yong-“ She stopped herself. “Solar, to you guys.” With that Amber once again cheered.

“Oh? You and Solar unnie are close?” Wheein asked. Byulyi scratched her head, “Well, not that close yet, why?” Wheein shook her head, “Nothing really. Ms. Baek said that Solar unnie is now a part of our club just this morning. Being the president of the club, I haven’t welcomed her yet.” Wheein frowned. “I hear she’s really a great singer.”

She was the school’s singing club president. The club is moderated by Ms. Baek Ji Young.

“I met her too.” Hani said. “I was supposed to tour her around the school, but she didn’t need it. So I didn’t really get to talk to her that much.” The others nodded. Hani was the P.R.O. of their student council. In the midst of all this, Byulyi was looking at someone just a few meters away from them. Yongsun.

“You guys go ahead.” Byulyi said before taking off towards Yongsun. “Yongsun!!!” She shouted as she was approaching. Yongsun turned around and saw Byulyi running towards her, she frowned.

“Hi Yongsun!” Byulyi beamed. “Hey Byul.” Yongsun was still frowning. “What’s the matter? You’re not happy to see me?” Byulyi asked. Yongsun shook her head, “It’s not that.” Then she brought her right hand near Byulyi’s face and wiped Byulyi’s sweat that was dripping. “Don’t run next time, I don’t want to see you get hurt by any chance.” Yongsun weakly smiled.

Byulyi felt herself get hot at Yongsun’s remark. “Eheyy.” Byulyi let out a fake laugh and shrugged Yongsun’s hand. “Don’t worry much about me, Yongsun. I can take care of myself just fine.” She smiled at the older girl, who just nodded at her.

“So…” Yongsun said, looking at Byulyi confused. Just then, Byulyi’s friends walked passed them, teasing Byulyi. “WOOOH WAY TO GO STAR!!” “SMOOTH BYUL!” “WALK HER HOMEEEE!!” Byulyi’s eyes widened at them then she awkwardly shooed them away.

“Hi Solar unni! Remember me?” Hani said as she was being pushed away by Byulyi. “Of course, Hani. How could I not?” Yongsun answered, making Byulyi stop. Aishh, this wasn’t my plan.

“Well, we were heading home, just wanted to greet ‘ya.” Hani smiled at Yongsun. “We’ll go now, unni. Byul doesn’t want us near you yet.” Hani laughed while running away, like the  others. “UNNI, I’M WHEEIN. WE’RE IN THE SAME CLUB. LET’S MEET-“ She was cut by Hwasa. “She doesn’t know you, pabo.” Then she bowed while leaving.

“I’m sorry about that.” Byulyi finally said after composing herself with what just happened. Yongsun chuckled. “It’s okay, Byul. But I’m sorry you can’t walk me home today.”

“Oh, why?” Byulyi seemed rather surprised, not disappointed. “I’m meeting my mom at her office.” Yongsun said, and Byulyi frowned, “Oh.”

“But we’re still up for lunch tomorrow. Right, Byul?” Yongsun asked, smiling. Something that Byulyi realized she cannot resist, she smiled back. They’re eating lunch together tomorrow, how could she not be happy? She nodded. “Of course, how could I forget about it?”

“Okay, well. I’ll be going now. You go home too.” Yongsun shooed her away, in a good way. “Take car, Byul-ah.” Yongsun practically pushed Byulyi away in order for the other girl to start walking.

“You too, Yongsun!” Byulyi gave in. “I’ll see you tomorrow!” She turned around, walking backwards and waved at Yongsun who was walking the other way.

--

Yongsun arrived at her Mother’s work place. She hesitantly walked in as she was nervous of facing her mother after what she did. She was greeted by the receptionist. “Good afternoon, Ms. Kim. You’re mom is finishing up with her last appointment for today. Would you like some tea while you wait?” Teas sounds nice...might calm my nerves down a bit. She nodded, “Tea sounds lovely, I’ll just sit here then.” Yongsun sat on one of the couches in the waiting area. The employee nodded and went to make Yongsun’s tea, then came back to put it on the coffee table in front of Yongsun. “Thank you.” She took a sip and closed her eyes.

Warm.

Sweet,

but bitter.

S o o t h i n g .

She was busy appreciating her cup of tea that she didn’t notice that her mother was already in front of her. “Yongsun.” She heard her mother call her. She instantly opened her eyes and sat up properly. “Umma.” Her mother was maybe at the same age as Han Gye, maybe that’s why Han Gye and her mother’s relationship is more than of a therapist-client one, more of a close friends type.

Her mother weakly smiled. “Let’s talk inside, Yongsun. I have something to tell you.” Yongsun nodded and stood up. Both of them walked to her mother’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter