01 SERENDIPITY

Coincidentally On Purpose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART ONE

“Congratulations, Moon Byulyi! Another set of exams easily aced!” Announced their homeroom adviser and the whole class applaud. “Also, you are being called in the Principal’s Office.” The teacher added.

ByulYi nodded, stood up and headed to the Principal’s office.

It had always been like this, every since she could remember, she has been excelling in everything; academics, sports, and performing. After all, she is a daughter of the Principal, it seems only fitting that she excels in everything. All eyes are on her; at least that’s what she’s been taught since she was just a child. She has a reputation to uphold. She’s the third daughter, the youngest of Principal Moon, and both of sisters are wonderfully perfect as well.

Byulyi arrived at the Principal’s Office and knocked. The secretary, Mrs. Kim answered. “Oh, Byulyi. Your mother is expecting you. Come in.” Byulyi nodded and did what she’s told. “I will go tell your mother that you’re already here, for the mean time, you can sit down.”

“Yes ma’am.” Byulyi sat in one of the couches.

Mrs. Kim, has been the secretary for the longest time, way back to when her own mother was still studying here. Mrs. Kim is old enough to be a grandmother and is more than old enough to retire. But Mrs. Kim is a valuable asset to the school; the school has no intentions of asking her to leave her position as the school secretary for some unknown reason to Byulyi.

Byulyi watched as Mrs. Kim made her way to the Principal’s door, knocked and after hearing an approval to come in, she went in. “Your daughter is now here, Han Gye. Should I send her in now?” Byulyi heard Mrs. Kim say. She waited for her Mother’s voice to speak but then what she heard was the school bell ringing, signaling the start of first period.

Just a few moments later, Mrs. Kim had reopened the door and called her in. As soon as she was inside, Mrs. Kim excused herself and went back outside to her desk.

Byulyi remained standing as she was not yet told to sit down. A little while later, her Mother faced her and motioned for her to sit down, and she did.

They remained silent for a while. Byulyi was used to this. Whether they were at home or at school, their encounters were always the same.

“I heard you’ve aced yet another exam. Congratulations.” Her Mother, the Principal, said monotonously.

Byulyi remained quiet.

“However, you are not in the level unlike how your sisters were back then. You need to study more. You committed five mistakes on your math exam, even if you aced it.”

Still silent.

“Your sisters never had mistakes in any of their exams. I wish you’d be the same. Especially because Nationals is coming up, you need to shape up. You are selected as the School’s representative yet again, of course.”

Byulyi held her head down.

“Now off you go. You are late for your class.”

Byulyi upon hearing that, jolted up, motioned for the door, turning back around to face her mother and bowed just before she left the office.

Even if she was her daughter, Byulyi felt like her mother sees her like any other student in her school. She did too with Byulyi’s older sisters anyway. And look at where her two older sisters are now. The eldest took over the family business after their father died a few years back, just when her eldest sister graduated from college. She was set to take over the company, but not that soon. Her other sister didn’t like business, though she has a position in the board of directors in their company. Since she doesn’t like business, she pursued a PhD in Physics and is now a professor in London. Both of her sisters are very good in their careers.

Byulyi could only sigh. Even if she was supposed to be used to this already, she can’t help but expect change every time. Her face might’ve shown her feelings because Mrs. Kim patted her back. “It’s okay, Byulyi. You know how she is.” Mrs. Kim assured and she just nodded. She was right after all, coming from Mrs. Kim who knew her mother very well, she practically raised her too.

“Thank you, Mrs. Kim. Now, please excuse me. I’m going to be scolded again if I don’t go now.” Mrs. Kim nodded and Byulyi sprinted to her room.

As soon as she arrived in her classroom, she apologized for being late and went straight to her seat, took out her notebook and book and started to take down notes.

--

The bell rang after third period signaling the start of lunch break.

“Hey Star! Aren’t you coming to eat with us?” Of course, hearing the English equivalent of her name, who else but Amber, her best friend called her.

Byulyi shook her head. “I’m sorry, Amber. I have to study.”

Amber whined and approached Byulyi. “What do you mean study? We just finished our exams, and our next exams aren’t like*counting with her fingers* seven weeks from now? I think?? Aren’t you a little early to study for that?”

Byulyi weakly smiled at Amber. “No, Amber. I’m not studying for that exams. I’m studying for the Nationals.”

“Ohhh. Yeahh..I totally forgot about that. Well…okay I guess you can’t be bothered for a while. But hey, whenever you crave for something fun, you know how to reach me!” Amber ran out of their room.

That is true. As Byulyi was the studious type of student, her best friend was the complete opposite. Amber was the type who didn’t really care about her grades enough to study seriously. She passes her subjects, barely and she fails some, mostly and she doesn’t care. Amber is best when it comes to having fun.

--

A week later,

Byulyi has been excluding herself from her friends. As studious as she is, you’d be surprised at how many friends she has. She’s quite popular in fact and her friends understand that she has to study. They know what Byulyi’s family is like.

It was a Friday and the faculty had an event for the afternoon, calling the afternoon classes off. Byulyi decided to stay behind, study and go home with her mother. She already told her mother about it, “I study better in school rather at home.” She reasoned out and her mother agreed.

And right now, it was just a little pass 1pm and the faculty’s event had just started and won’t be ending until later that afternoon. Since she was alone, and no one was keeping an eye on her to make sure she is studying; she decided to head up to the roof top to get some fresh air.

“I wonder what I did in my past life to be stuck with my life now.” She said, talking to herself.

“All my life has been nothing but a cycle of studying, acing the exams and studying again because I’m not good enough.” Byulyi sighed. “I even only have only a few moments like this when I get to breathe, really.” She was leaning on the railings, overlooking the school campus. She tried inhaling in the view.

“Beautiful view, isn’t it?” An unfamiliar voice suddenly spoke. Byulyi looked to her side, beautiful view indeed.

 “Too bad they removed the garden over there to build that sports complex.” She could hear sadness in the other girl’s voice, although she didn’t really take in what the other girl had just said.

She examined the other girl from head to toe, she was gorgeous but there was something eerie about her and she just can’t bring her finger about it. Just then, the other girls faced her and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter