Four

Tree

                                                       

 

Everything around me pass by in blurry. I can’t see very well or I don’t interest. I also don’t know. I just sit there at the corner in black dress. My tears dry already and it feel sticky on my cheek. I can feel my hand is shaking maybe because I’m too weak or heart breaking. I saw Jiwon seat in front of me and I saw his lips moving. Saying something but I don’t hear what he said. It sounds so fuzzy. I don’t know how long did I sit there like a zombie.

Jiwon shake my body hard so I focus on him. I look at him slowly but only tear is falling instead of words. I look up to the altar. There it was hang the picture of my mother and my father. Both of them look so happy in their picture, smiles and look so nicely dress up. Jiwon hugs me tight and I cry in his arms again.

A week later…….

I wake up and saw a bright light coming from my window. I felt much better now. Slowly I patch my wound and scar in my heart. I only live for me now and slowly too I making plan what I should do. I still feel empty but at least it bearable because I have Kim Jiwon. He try his best to make me smile and laugh.

Every day he wills talks nonstop on the way to school. In lunch time he drag me out from the class room and force me to sit down with our classmate. Have lunch with them. My world became so noisy. It feel unusual but not awkward. In P. E no more sneak out and lay down on the grass alone but playing basketball with them. Jiwon force doing something I would never done in my life before.

Day after day it all repeat again and again until I feel nothing is happen. Jiwon introduce me to his parent and they know I’m staying at their house. At first I’m scared and nervous if they don’t like me but when his mother saw me, she immediately hugs me. Surprise but I feel comfortable. She so much likes Jiwon. Full with smile and warm too.

Today is our graduation day. I never thought I can see this day coming. I feel like I has a wings to fly far now. There is no limit and I going to touch the sky.

“Congratulation!!!!” Jiwon said and hugs me tight. Our relation is not a secret anymore. My classmate knows already. It’s all because of Jiwon. He has a cheap mouth.

We all go to the graduation party in our formal dress. Jiwon wearing his black suit and I’m wearing black long dress. He can’t stop looking at me and smile like a proud father. This dress very pretty and I admit it.

“Wow…my choice is never gone wrong.” Mrs. Kim said. They also stand next to Jiwon. This scene so touching. I almost can see my mother stand next to them. In my special day like today is the most I’m miss her.

“Eomma, this is the first time I'm not agree with you. This dress totally is not right.” Jiwon argue in nonsense.

“Wae?? I like it so much. I think I just saw my daughter in law.” Mr. Kim said making me blushing.

“Too much skin…..” Jiwon said and put coat on my shoulder making everyone hissing at him.

“Enjoy your night.” Mr. Kim and Mrs. Kim said. Tonight Jiwon drive his father car.

We enjoy our party and it’s over, Jiwon drive to somewhere. At first it all dark but as we keep closer, I can see a faint light.

“Where were we?” I asked.

“Just follow me.” He said.

He holds my hand tight and we walk on the stone path. The trees around us all lit up with fairy light. Even on the side path lit up by the candles. The scenery and mood is so romantic tonight. At the end of the path was a small couch. It looks so cozy and comfortable. On the table has 2 empty glass, a bottle of grape juice and a bite size of snack. Is there is something special? I look at Jiwon and he just smile.

“It’s a date.” He said and asked me to sit. He pours the juice to the glass and give it to me.

“It’s not alcohol drink since we both underage.” He said in jokes.

“Ara. Something special to celebrates tonight?”

“No.” He answers but I can see something in his eyes.

Just like how he can read me, I also can read him. There must be something that he wants to tell me. What is it? He talks about us. He talks about our future, what he want to do and what will happen in 5 years. Slowly he pick up his pace and then he stay quiet but his gaze on me soft, passion, warm and loving. He holds both my hand in his. Why do I feel scared to listen next?

“Do you trust me?” He asked.

“Always do and always will.”

“Next week I will fly to US…..” He begins. I stop breathing when he said that but then I calm myself and keep listen to him. I nods means I understand what he will told me.

“I will continue my study there and stay with my father….. It will take 4 years and I don’t know when I will comeback. But 1 thing is for sure, I will always call and text you. I will not MIA on you.” I nod again. It’s hard but I know I have to let him go. This is his dream. I will not come between him and his dream. If we were meant to be together we will find our way. I believe that and I believe in him.

“Can you say something? You stay quiet makes me scared.” He said but I just smile.

“I understand everything and there is no need for you to worry. I can take care of myself. DO YOU TRUST ME?”

“I trust GOO AH YOUNG.” He said in funny way.

“Then it settles.”

“JInja?? I always feel so nervous to tell you about this. I’m so worry about your reaction. I can’t even sleep and eat well. I’m worry for nothing.” He said like how he used to be. Talk so fast like he rapping and a bit funny.

“I think you choose wrong career. You should be a rapper.” I said.

“I think I should try.” He said again.

The day for us to be separate is here. Both of us has gloomy mood. We all stand in front of departure gate. Jiwon hold my hand tight. He don’t even feel shy show his affection in front of his parent but my face can’t stop blushing. Jiwon will go with his father while his mother will stay for a while before she fly back to China. I will be alone in Seoul. Jiwon want me to stay in his house but that house too big for me to be alone in. I will feel depress and lonely in there. I told him I’m stay but I have my own plan already.

“It’s a final call.” Mr. Kim said. He hugs his wife and kiss her. Now I know their parent both still love each other. They separated because of work. Mr. Kim hug me too. Jiwon hug and kiss his mother and then both of them gave us some privacy. Jiwon hug me so tight.

“I’ll miss you.” He said.

“Me too. Don’t forget to call and text me.”

“You too.” He said. He looks into my eyes and kiss me. For a moment everything in the world seems to stop and only us is matter. Jiwon take his necklace off and put it on me.

“That was my grandfather’s necklace. My grandmother gave it to him on their first date. It’s old.” He said. It does look old but it antique too. It’s pretty.

“I love you so much.” He said. That was the first time he said it to me.

“I know and I love you too.” He hugs me one more time before he follows his father. I cry but I believe we will see each other again. 

 

                                                 

**** KIM JIWON POV****

                As I walk into the airplane, my heart gets more heavier. It’s difficult for me to leave Ah Young alone but we both know this is for our future. I believe in Ah Young, she will take care of herself. If we meant for each other we will meet again someday.

“Are you ok?” My father asked. I nod and smile at him. As the airplane takes off, my memory flash back to the first day I saw her. I never told her about this before and I like to keep it to myself only.

The coffee shop where Ah Young work is my favorite place to hang out after school and I also do my homework there. It near with my house and I don’t feel lonely there. One day I saw a new staff and she look pretty even though she don’t smile. Her smile is very precious and rarely for her to smile. I wish I could see her smile but no matter what I do she’s never pay any attention to me. Whose know she’s also go to my school and become my classmate. I believe this is fate.

Just like how she ignore me at the coffee shop she also ignore everyone in the class too. She rather be alone and sleep than go to canteen for lunch. Even in P. E class she will sneak out if teacher don’t notice her. Ah Young is the first person I met that make me curious about her. What she do? What she like to eat? Where did she lose her smile? All the simple thing about her I want to know but I never manage to get her attention. Only 1 day when my old friends come harass me at the coffee shop. Never thought cold girl like her is actually is a caring and nosy person. Since then I made my way to get to know her little by little.

It’s not an easy way to gain her trust. For Ah Young trust is very expensive thing in the world that money can’t buy. She also believe every man in the world is same because of her father. That person should protect and love her but he destroyed Ah Young and her mother life. Slowly I prove to Ah Young, not all man in this world is same as her father.

One thing that I regret until now is I fail to protect her mother. If I know that will happen that night I will not agree to meet with my friend. I only can promise Ah Young silently in my heart that I will take care of her as long as I still breathing. No one could predict what will happen in the future but I want this dream to come true. To make that dream come true I must be able to take care of myself without my parent help. I want to be a real man.