Like a Fool

Run Away Now

"So pretty girl was like 'Dont bully kids 5 and below. Bully those who've already been tainted with school works' and I was so ready to punch her in the face but I didn't. It took every bit of my energy to display total self-control in front of her."

 

Nayeon was fuming as she recalled her unpleasant encounter with Mina. She was with her friends and they were at their usual hangout place. It was the same place Mina saw them that morning. The bench that she fell from was still there and it was still broken.

 

"How many 'pretty' did you count?" Jungyeon asked. "I counted six." She's been friends with Nayeon for as long as she could remember. In fact, it was her idea for them to hangout at a spot closer to a fastfood restaurant. "When other students pass by to eat there we could go ahead and get their lunch money and then we eat," she once suggested and from then on, they have claimed that spot to be theirs.

 

"Really? I only counted five. I must've missed the first one," said Jihyo who have been friends with the two girls since their family moved to the neighborhood where Nayeon and Jungyeon lived.

 

"Are you two seriously asking for a beating?"

 

Jungyeon laughed. "Tell us more about your crush."

 

"What crush? Even if you force me and torture me, I am never ever going to have a crush on her. Unless you could staple a photo of my idol crush on her face, she is never going to be my crush." Nayeon formed an 'X' using her arms. She was thinking her friends have lost their minds. Having a crush on someone who is exceptionally annoying is not what Im Nayeon does on her free time.

 

"You've been saying she's pretty the whole time you were talking about her though. You kept on calling her 'pretty girl'," Jihyo said.

 

"I don't have crush on her but I do have eyes. I mean, she is pretty," Nayeon defended and images of Mina kept flashing through her mind. They weren't images that looked like someone used a potato to take photos of her. No. They were images that looked like a fansite master took them using the most high-tech camera that money could buy.

 

She shook those images away. Mina might be pretty but that didn't change the fact that she was a snob and she called Nayeon stupid multiple times in a span of twenty minutes. To Nayeon, Mina was someone who needed to get off her high horse and Nayeon would gladly volunteer to push her off of it and maybe instruct the horse to step on her at least ten times.

 

"I only called her 'pretty girl' because saying her name makes me so angry! Myoui Mina. Pfft! You don't even have to know her personally to know that she's incredibly irritating and acts like a goddamn brat all the time with that fancy name of hers."

 

Jungyeon and Jihyo couldn't remember the last time their friend got this riled up. "So what are you planning to do? You want to go scare the out of her after school tomorrow?"

 

"As much as I want to. I can't really do anything that would get her seriously injured. I'll get into trouble with Principal Song and I am not about to be left behind in high school while you two go into college. That would hurt my ego. You two graduating and not me. You two!"

 

"What is that even supposed to mean?"

 

"Yeah, we get better grades than you," Jihyo said, crossing her arms across her chest. "The only class you haven't gotten an 'F' to is English."

 

"That is not even the point. The point is I could not be held back for another year just because of that Myoui Mina."

 

"So how are you going to get back at her?"

 

"I can't hurt her physically but I think I know a proper way to hurt someone like her. I'm going to deflate that big head of hers and I'll make sure she's going to make a fool of herself in front of everyone." Nayeon smirked but it was soon replaced with a frown when she saw Jihyo lighting a cigarette.

 

"Jihyo, what the hell, man? We've talked about smoking. That could kill you." She took the stick from her friend and tossed it in the trash bin.

 

"Yah! That kind was expensive and it's flavored! You're just mad that you can't handle smoking and you ended up coughing all the way home when you first tried it." Jihyo tried to light one again but Nayeon was quick to snatch the cigarette from her as well as lighter.

 

"No one smokes in this group. We might be bullies but we still have morals."

 

"Morals? We took lunch money from a 1st grader this morning."

 

"Tha-- he did not look his age! That's not our fault."

 


---

 


The next morning, Mina begrudgingly got out of bed and got dressed.

 

"Mina, wa-- oh you're already up. Looks like you took Principal Song's words seriously."

 

"I am pretty much being blackmailed by the highest authority in school. If that school is hell then Mrs. Song is basically satan."

 

Jessica giggled and handed over the packed lunch that their mom made for them. "Well, as one of satan's minions, I believe it is my duty to make sure you don't get late so let's go."

 

The sisters arrived at school and unlike yesterday, the entrance were filled with other students coming in. Some of them were even walking quickly to make sure they get in time for the assembly. Just as they were about to enter, they were approached by Nayeon.

 

"Hi, fancy pants." Nayeon cleared and did a small bow for Jessica. "Good morning, Ms. Jung."

 

"Good morning. Im Nayeon, right? I heard a lot about you from the other teachers. First day of school yesterday and you've already made quite a fuss. You two play nice now."

 

Jessica bid goodbye to Mina but before she walked away she whispered something to her. "Try not to pick a fight with her please."

 

Mina rolled her eyes and was about to walk away from Nayeon but the latter had already grabbed her by the wrist. She roughly pulled and broke free from the girl's grasp. "You ! I swear if you touch me again--"

 

There was a male student walking in a quick pace and searching for something in his bag so he didn't notice Mina and he bumped into her. "Oh, sorry."

 

"Damn it! Look at where you're walking next time."

 

The student bowed again before he ran away. Mina heard someone cackling and she knew it was Nayeon. She thought Nayeon found it amusing that she almost fell on her face. It was a good thing she was quick to hold on to something before she humiliated herself in front of the school's bully.

 

She turned her head to face Nayeon only to see the latter staring down. She followed her line of sight and she quickly moved away. "I--"

"You have a naughty left hand, Myoui," Nayeon said, finding it fascinating that the girl who didn't seem to be afraid of anything or anyone was looking at her in horror.

 

"You know I did not do that on purpose."

 

Nayeon smirked. "Oh really? But you held my for more than five seconds. I'd say that's on the level of enjoying it."

 

Mina gasped at her scandalous allegation. "The fact that you counted the seconds makes you the y one here and I only held it for that long because it barely felt like a . It felt non-existent on my hand."

 

And it was Nayeon's turn to gasp. She placed both hands on her chest and said, "How dare you?! They're still growing!"

 

Mina shook her head and quickly entered the gate before she could do anything to further embarrass herself. She slmost forgot that Nayeon would be in her class from now on. "This day could not get any better."

 


---

 


", it just did," Mina mumbled as she entered the principal's office for the second time that week and it was only the second day of the school year. "What did I do now, Mrs. Song?" She turned her head to the side and saw Nayeon sitting there once again. Someone might as well handcuff them together at this rate.

 

"Miss Im has brought up an issue that concerns you. All these years you've spent in this school and you haven't joined any school club?"

 

Mina glared at nayeon. "What this stalker said is correct. Yes, I don't belong in any of this school's ridiculous clubs. I did try to make a club of my own but no one joined so that's not my fault anymore."

 

Nayeon raised her hand like she's suddenly some goody two shoes. "The school requires every student to join at least one club before they graduate."

 

"If someone let you join theirs then clearly, the clubs here aren't worth joining."

 

Nayeon ignored her remark and added, "Most of the clubs aren't currently looking for new members but I did convince some of them to let Miss Myoui give it a shot." By 'convince' she meant threaten the clubs' presidents.

 

"There you go then. Isn't this nice? You two helping each other. It was really kind of Miss Im to be doing this," the principal told Mina and Nayeon could only smiled deviously. Her plan was working very smoothly.

 

The classes ended early because of the whole faculty meeting about the activities for the rest of the school year. Nayeon grabbed this opportunity to execute her "Make Myoui Look Like a Fool" plan.

 

Nayeon dropped a note on Mina's table telling her to meet her at the entrance of the other building and before she left, she yelled, "Don't even think of not going. I don't want to drag someone by the hair today. I'm saving that for some other day."

 

The whole class or at least the ones who wee still there stared at Mina mumbling, "We'll prepare a nice eulogy for you."

 

Mina stood up and headed to her locker to place her things before she went to the annex building. She thought if she just did as she was told then she could just get it over with. Dealing with the idiot in a short period is better than dealing with her for the whole school year.

 

Nayeon was at the entance with Jungyeon and Jihyo standing beside her. "Now that I'm getting a closer look at her, she really is pretty."

 

Jungyeon agreed and added, "But maybe she would look even prettier if she didn't look at us like she wants to murder us and dump our bodies in the ocean."

 

"Uhm, hello? I could hear you, you know?" Mina heaved a sigh and looked around. She knew about the annex building but she's never had any reason to go there. She's starting to think this is part of Nayeon's plan to kill her and bury her somewhere near this building. "Just so you guys know, if I don't get home by the time my sister gets home, she's going to be calling the police."

 

"Nayeon, what is she talking about?"

 

"Is she on drugs? I thought we were supposed to be the delinquents."

 

"We're not going to do anything bad to you, Myoui. Follow us." Nayeon entered the building with her two friends and Mina trailing behind her.

 

The four of them entered the room where two girls were waiting for them. One had her hair dyed brown, the other gray. Mina found it odd that the school was very strict on their uniform policy but did not give a damn whether your hair would be looking like mold has grown on it or some person has bled to death on top of your head.

 

"Hi, Momo and Sana," Nayeon greeted cheerfully but the two girls didn't greet her as warmly.

 

"You can't keep on taking Momo's lunch every time. Do you know how much time and effort it takes for me to make those?"

 

"You made those?" Jihyo asked, eyes wide.

 

"Sugoi!" Jungyeon exclaimed and the two friends gave Sana two thumbs up. Momo and Sana were known as the Japanese dancing duo in their school. Ever since the two became the president and the VP of the dance club, they've brought Youngbae High School awards from joining interschool dance competitions.

 

"Arigato!" Sana smiled at them and it wasn't a fake smile either but when she looked at Nayeon again, the cute frown came back. "If you guys wanted them then just ask. Did you have to bully her?" She put a protective arm over the brown-haired girl's shoulder. "She's very fragile."

 

"Whatever. She's here. Just tell her what she needs to do." Nayeon pointed at Mina who was busy playing with her phone. SHe opted not to listen in on their stupid discussion.

 

"This is the dance club. All she needs to do is show us she could dance," Momo said, her voice just a bit louder than a whisper.

 

Mina, who had absolutely no clue where she was or who Momo and Sana were, was surprised to be there. She looked at Nayeon who was smirking at her as if saying, "You said you know you're better than everyone so show us."

 

She should've known that Nayeon would do something to get back at her. She took her blazer off and placed it on the table that Nayeon was currently sitting on. "Looks like I did hurt your feeling yesterday, huh? When I called you stupid?"

 

Just when Nayeon thought Mina was about to apologize, the girl with the long wine-colored hair said, "If you're trying to get revenge for that then I should probably tell you now that you've failed."

 

Mina was leaning so close that Nayeon was able to get a whiff of the perfume she was wearing. "Oh yeah? Well, you smell like spring..."

 

Everyone in the room heard her.

 

"...i-if...if spring meant pigs trotting in a field of flowers that smell bad."

 

Jungyeon and Jihyo covered their faces and tried to hide from the secondhand embarrassment. Mina just cocked an eyebrow. What Nayeon said was so stupid that she refuses to retort back.

 

"Momo, do your job!" Nayeon demanded and the terrified girl played a song from her phone.

 

"Try to do some freestyle."

 

"I'm not really that good in freestyle."

 

Nayeon scoffed. "And you say my plan has failed," she muttered.

 

"Oh okay. I guess you could just do a dance that you're more comfortable in doing."

 

Mina nodded and got into position. As soon as she started dancing, Nayeon and the rest of the girls in the room were captivated with every movement. Nayeon personally never knew someone could move with such grace. It was almost like Mina was floating every time she did those ballerina leaps and twirls.

 

Mina did a grand jeté where a dancer is seemingly doing the splits in the air. She landed in front of Nayeon and gave her a smug smile saying. When she was done the girls, save for Nayeon, gave her a round of applause. Momo, the club's president, even gave her a standing ovation and Mina smiled appreciatively, even giving her small audience a curtsy.

 

"She just curtsied," Jihyo said mindlessly.

 

"Like a princess." Jungyeon looked a dumbfounded Nayeon beside her. "So what was the plan here again?"

 

Nayeon initially thought that she could make Mina look like a complete idiot by making her join the dance club, having no complete knowledge that the girl could probably do ballet in her sleep. It wasn't just ballet either. When Momo asked her if she knew other style of dance, Mina just went ahead and did a cover of a famous dance which left the others with their jaws on the floor.

 

Once Nayeon's shock had disappeared, it was replaced with anger and she was just so pissed off that her plan didn't work.

 

"You were really good, Mina. We would gladly let you join--" Momo wasn't able to finish her sentence when her face got shoved by Nayeon's hand. Sana was about to show her who she was messing with but Momo was quick to grab her. Momo could not afford having her VP get kicked out for beating someone up. Not when it was their last year and they have an upcoming competition ahead of them.

 

"This club is clearly not right. Maybe the pottery club is."

 

By the end of the day, not one club thought Mina did not belong to them. She did well on most of them and Nayeon's plan of making her look like a total idiot did not work at all.

 

"What the hell are you and where are you from, you alien?!"

 

Mina totally ignored her question and said, "That wasn't a complete waste of time but if I do have to join one club then I'd be joining the first one. At least I could talk about other people in Japanese and only the VP and the president would get what I was saying."

 

"You could speak Japanese, too?!" Nayeon pulled on her own hair in frustration.

 

"I am Japanese, dimwit." She walked away from the trio and checked the time. "It's late. Jessica-uunie would be so worried. Why did my phone have to die?" she asked herself, forgetting that she's been playing games on it all day.

 

Nayeon was still fuming as they watched Mina's retreating figure. "That's it! Let's just beat her up!"

 

Jihyo and Jungyeon held her back and tried to pacify her. "You can't. Remember you have to graduate with us this year."

 

"Jungyeon's right. We should just go home, sleep on it and then regroup tomorrow. I'm sure we'll figure out a way to get back at her that does not involve you getting into more trouble."

 

Nayeon breathed heavily. "You're right." A student whom she recognized to be the same male student that bumped into Mina earlier that morning walked by and the urge to vent out her anger to someone else was too strong. "Hey, you!"

 


---

 


Mina got home just in time for dinner and was surprised to see everyone at the dining table including her other step sister, Krystal.

 

"Unnie..."

 

Krystal simply hummed in acknowledgment and continued eating.

 

"You got home unusually late today. How's school, dear?" their mom asked.

 

"I tried joining clubs." Mina answered, taking the seat across Krystal's.

 

"Really?" Jessica was beyond excited to see her youngest sister trying to make her last year in high school more interesting. "What club did you decide to join?"

 

"Dance club."

 

"You couldn't have bothered joining an academic one?" her father asked rhetorically.

 

The initial shock of seeing the middle child back home has died down and Mina just wasn't having any of it from her father. "I didn't because all of the academic ones are a snooze fest. If I wanted to sleep I would just go home and sleep on my own bed."

 

Mina's father shook his head and the rest of the family members knew that the chit-chat has ended there. By the time she's finished her meal, the only one who's left at the dinign table was her and Jessica.

 

"Mina, you can't keep on talking to him like that."

 

"Why not? Can't you tell he's already gotten used to it?"

 

Jessica shook her head in dismay. "And what is up with you and Krystal? Before I left for university, you two were really close. You're pretty much attached to each other's hips. What happened?"

 

Childhood memories came flooding in and Mina had massage her temples to avoid the headache that would be coming next. "Unnie, I'm tired. Let's talk about this some other time."

 

She stood up and went to her room. For a whole minute she just sat on her bed, staring at one of the pictures that was on top of her dresser. It was a picture of her and Krystal.

 

Mina smiled bitterly. "Wow. You must be really doing well at school. That fake smile on your face is very convincing."

 


_____


i didnt really know how to end this chapter
i can't write serious stuff OTL. itry to but i always end up writing something stupid and it doesnt even make sense
i've added a bunch of characters in this chapter i hope you guys dont mind. also that bit with mina's left hand lol i've watched shows and interviews religiously and her left hand seems to have a mind of its own
thank you for subcribing i appreciate it and also the people who've posted a comment
cant wait for twice's comeback #CheerUp