Ketchup and Bonsai

Run Away Now

Nayeon was humming to herself as she walked inside the classroom and immediately stopped when she spotted the girl taking the seat behind hers. Today was the first day she was actually happy to see her because she now knew what would make her shut up.


"Hi, pretty girl."


The other students who heard Nayeon's greeting gawked at Mina and gave her unwanted attention which made the latter pissed off more than ever.


"I told you stop saying that."


"But why? I'm trying to be a good girl and say only nice and truthful things." She grabbed the chair and moved it so she was to be seated facing Mina.


"Can't you be truthful somewhere else? Like, I don't know, your hometown? The seventh circle of hell?"


Nayeon chuckled. She would deny it if anyone asked her but one of the reasons she was enjoying this was because she found an angry Mina sort of adorable. It didn't take much effort to know that the girl was hiding behind her long hair because she was blushing and that only encouraged Nayeon to say it more. "I bet you'd look prettier with your hair cut short."


"I wish Sana was into stitching so she could stitch your mouth shut."


Nayeon's mood turned sour. It was another day at school and another day of dance practice after it. She remembered something that she wasn't able to ask Mina when they were together for their "group study" at Mina's house. "How do you know how to do ballet? I imagine you only sit in front of your computer all day and enjoy your sedentary lifestyle."


"You're imagining things about me?" Mina lifted her head up and squinted her eyes.


"That's not what I meant!" Nayeon defended and it was really quick but she saw Mina smirk and for a second, she felt disoriented.


"If you really must know, I started doing ballet with my sisters at a very young age."


"You mean your sister Krystal could do ballet, too?" Nayeon leaned on Mina's desk, suddenly interested.


"Both of them quit after a month. I was the only one who stuck around. I trained for 11 years."


"Whoa! But could she do the splits? Is she very flexible?"


"Why are you so interested?!"


The two were unaware that their classmates haven't stopped paying close attention to them and everyone was interpreting Mina's sudden outburst as a form of jealousy. The bell rang and after a few minutes, the teacher arrived.


Lunch time came and Nayeon would usually bolt out of the classroom to meet with Jungyeon and Jihyo but today she decided to do something different. "Hey, pretty Myoui, you wanna go have lunch with us?"


Mina took a deep breath to stop herself from hitting Nayeon with her bag. "No." There was no snarky remarks and for some reason, it made Nayeon feel like she was talking to someone else and not Mina.


"Who are you even gonna eat with?"


Mina was already halfway through the door but she stopped walking. "I have a mouth and two hands. I'm pretty sure that's all I need to be able to eat and unlike you, I have my own food. I don't have to bully others and get their lunch."


The amused smile on Nayeon's face came back. "Eating the same thing that the cafeteria provides gets boring."


"Oh so you're brilliant mind thought it would be convenient into bullying others to give you their food?"


Mina shook her head and walked quicker to get away from Nayeon. She has finally noticed that the other students' eyes were on them, giving them weird looks and whispering to each other. The past school year she barely attended classes and this school year she can't afford being associated with one of the school's biggest pain in the . She just wanted this year to get over with.


Nayeon went to Jungyeon's and Jihyo's classroom to meet up with them and the three proceeded to eat lunch at the cafeteria. Unlike other days when they would wait a few feet from the entrance of the school cafeteria to check other students' food and choose which ones they like, they went straight inside and occupied a vacant table. One of the students was going to sit on the vacant chair but Jihyo glared at her, effectively scaring her away.


"Are you sure you seasoned it well this time?" Nayeon asked, inspecting the spring rolls that the duo made.


"Yes! Geez, you make a mistake ONE time and she never forgets it." Jihyo gave a spring roll to Nayeon who was still suspicious.


"You eat one first."


Jungyeon grabbed one and ate the whole thing at once. "Hajhdfakshda?" She held up her index finger and chewed the food inside then swallowed it before she spoke again. "Happy?"


"I don't know. You could be faking it." Her two friends rolled their eyes at Nayeon and let her be while they enjoyed the spring rolls that they made. It was needless to say that Nayeon didn't really have an appetite. She was too busy looking for the wine-haired girl and she eventually spotted Mina sitting with her sister, Jessica.


Nayeon mindlessly stared at them. She noticed something odd and to make sure was seeing things properly, she had to grab her bag and get the pair of glasses that she rarely use. Jungyeon and Jihyo about looking like a total nerd when she was wearing them. Once she's put on her glasses, she giggled when she confirmed that what she's seeing was correct. Mina really brought her own bottle of ketchup. It was probably the same bottle that the girl gave her when she ate the bland spring rolls that her friends made for her when she went to study at Mina's house.


"What are you laughing at? Did someone trip and fall on their face?" Jungyeon looked around and ended up following Nayeon's line of sight. "Why are you looking at pretty girl?"


"More importantly, why are you wearing your granny specs? We've told you time and time again that if you were going to use glasses at least buy something that doesn't make you look like an old, semi blind person," Jihyo said but she knew Nayeon was listening anyway.


"I've finally did it, guys. I've found a way to get back at her for all the insult that she's thrown at us. I'm going to exploit that weakness as best as I could." Nayeon held up her fist and coupled it with a determined look in her face. She grabbed a plate and a couple of spring rolls before standing up.


"What are you talking about? Where are you even going?"


Nayeon waited for Jessica to leave the table before she approached Mina. "Hi pre--"


"Don't say it or I swear to god I'll..." Mina looked at the food in front of her. No, she could not let them go to waste. "I'll...I will..."


Nayeon, thinking that she has effectively made Mina speechless, grinned. "Say no more. I just wanted to ask you if I could have some of your ketchup. Jihyo and Jungyeon made spring rolls again. Do you want one?" she offered.


Mina was going to laugh at her because of the granny specs if the circumstances were different. She thought Nayeon was just joking when she said she had poor eyesight. Mina remembered because that's also the time Nayeon saved her from scarier bullies and called her pretty in front of them. The memory made her cheeks turn into a faint shade of red. "No. God, get your own damn ketchup next time." She grabbed the bottle and shoved it towards Nayeon.


"Thanks, pretty Myoui."


Mina was going to yell at her and scold her but her sister has came back from buying drinks. "Im Nayeon. Well, this is a surprise. Do you want to join us?"


Nayeon smiled and politely declined, saying that she only wanted to borrow Mina's ketchup and making some lame excuse that she didn't like the ketchup that the cafeteria provided, before she went back to eat with her friends.


"So...this is your evil idea of getting back at her?" Jihyo pointed at the bottle in Nayeon's hand, "by stealing that?"


Nayeon smiled proudly. "Nope but it turns out that if you call her pretty or compliment her looks, it'll guarantee to piss her off."


"Now what? You're going to just compliment her every day?" Jungyeon asked, still very confused at where Nayeon was getting at.


"That is the plan, yes."


Jihyo put an arm around Nayeon and cheekily said, "Have I told you how much I despise it when people say I have nice eyes, nose and lips?" she blinked a few times to try and convince Nayeon but the latter simply shoved her face away.


"Aha!" Jungyeon exclaimed and it made the other girls jump in surprise. "You're not going to get physical on her like you do with the other kids we bully because that would get you in trouble and possibly make Mrs. Song angry which would result into you repeating this year so now you resort to psychological warfare." She shook her head at her own realization and slow-clapped. "You are evolving. I am so proud of you." She rubbed Nayeon's back and pet her head.


"Evolving? Like I'm some sort of pokemon?" Nayeon thought about it and laughed. "You're right. I guess I am."


Mina didn't want to but the three girls were talking loudly amongst themselves and she couldn't help but train her gaze on them. Jessica noticed this and said, "You should join your friends for lunch tomorrow. I'm sure I can find people to eat with so i don't look like a total loser in the faculty room," she joked.


"They're not my friends. They're idiots."


Jessica sighed. "You'd enjoy your last year in high school more if you made friends. If not them then maybe the other students from dance club, what were their names again? Sana and Homo?"


"It's Momo. I do have friends though. Friends that I could play with but won't annoy me by their mere existence on a daily basis." Mina stared at Jessica with her puppy eyes and asked, "Are you sick of eating lunch with me?"


Puppy eyed Mina, Jessica could take that but that coupled with Mina's pout and puffy cheeks, she was on the losing end. "Aww, you wittle penguin, of course not. I'm just saying, you need to get used to eating with other people, too.How are you going to survive college? Who are you going to hang out with during your free time? I worry for you. This is the same way I felt when Krystal went away for university. I'm very surprised that she's made quite a lot of friends. I guess she's really popular."


"Or very manipulative."


"Sorry?"


Mina shook her head. She didn't know she's said that out loud. "I don't even want to go to college."


"But dad's really going to be upset if you don't."


Mina was going to reply and say that he was already upset with everything she does so that wouldn't make a difference but she decided to kept mum. She didn't want to bother Jessica with her own teenage angst.

 

---

 

"You weren't at dance practice yesterday," was how Mina was greeted by Nayeon the next morning. "Sana's really showing favoritism by letting you skip practice. I'm telling principal Song."


Mina knew she was bluffing. If there was anyone in the school that Nayeon would be afraid of, it would probably be Sana. Mina only skipped practice yesterday because she was in a bad mood the whole day and wanted to get her mind off of a couple of things by playing online games. In fact, she's informed Sana, as well as Momo, that she would not be able to attend practice that day.


Sana was the one who replied and even told her later that evening that Nayeon made a fuss about her not being there. Sana had to threaten her with a rope again.


"What's it to you, Im? Do you really have to bother me every single day?"


"I just find it unfair that you're not getting the same level of punishment as I am." Nayeon crossed her arms against her chest, sitting on her chair so she was facing Mina once again.


"I don't treat being in the dance club as a punishment like you do. I joined it because I wanted to. You and your friends joined because you were all scared of Sana."


"I am not even going to reply to that slander." Nayeon craned her neck to try and take a peek of what Mina was doing with her phone. "Who are you even texting? Are you talking to Siri? I know you're not texting someone because you have zero friends."


"My phone isn't even an iPhone, ." Mina showed her the phone and she got a glimpse of the screen. Mina really was messaging someone and it wasn't some bot.


"You shouldn't be talking to strangers," Nayeon warned, still convinced that Mina had no friends and was currently talking to some random person she probably met online.


"She's not a stranger. She's a friend of mine. I'm supposed to meet up with her later."


Nayeon slammed her hands on Mina's desk. "Are you insane? There are news everywhere about girls getting abducted by meeting up with people they meet online and their bodies being dumped on some dark street. Do you not watch the news or read any articles online?" She was internally panicking just thinking about Mina disappearing one day and her body turning up in some swamp.


"You are not going to meet this person but if you really insist then you're not going to go alone. Me, Jungyeon and Jihyo are coming with you and that's final."


Mina put her phone down and glared at Nayeon. Not only did she hate the tone she was using with her but she was also confused by how the girl was acting. If she didn't know how much of a bully Nayeon is then she'd think she was actually concerned for her welfare but she knew how Nayeon found it amusing to make fun of people and to see them be miserable. She said it herself when she was at Mina's house.


"I am more than capable of taking care of myself so don't even think of coming with me or following me later. Now, could you please just mind your own business?"


Nayeon huffed but turned around to face the board, nonetheless.

 

---

 

Mina hurriedly left the classroom to meet up with her friend after her last class. She walked in a quick pace and checked every once in a while if Nayeon and her friends were following her. Once she was sure they weren't, she slowed down to catch her breath and whipped out her phone from her bag to check if her friend has sent her a message. She recevied one saying where they should meet but when she arrived there, she received another message saying that her friend would be a few minutes late because something important came up.


Mina sat on a bench and patiently waited for her friend only to be surprised by five girls who were panting as they sat next to her. "Unbelievable. I told you not to follow me. Why is Sana and Momo here?"


"Nayeon said she would treat us a week's worth of lunch if we went with her," Sana answered.


"Sana, you do know she's probably just going to get other kids' lunch money to do that, right?"


"She won't I made them promise."


"Oh and you simply trust this cretin. That's great," Mina said, looking at Nayeon who was having a hard time catching her breath.


"We knew you'd be here," Nayeon said, fanning herself and wiping the bullet of sweat on her forehead.


"No, we didn't. We ran around the mall to find her, remember?" Jungyeon loosened her tie and took off her blazer.


"I would expect these three to do something as idiotic as this but you two," she pointed at Sana and Momo, "I'm kind of disappointed," she said in Japanese.


Truthfully speaking Nayeon only asked Sana to go with them because if everything went down south and Mina turned out to be meeting with a pedo, they would have Sana to help kick his but she and Momo were stuck on each other's hips so wherever Sana went, Momo has to come with her.


"So where's this ual predator you're meeting up with. Sana brought her ropes. Jungyeon borrowed her sister's brass knuckles and Jihyo brought her deo spray."


"Chaeng is not a ual--"


"Mina-unnie!"


A kid with a short hair walked towards the group, waving and smiling, and they all felt like complete idiots. They were scared of a kid who looked like she wasn't even allowed to ride a couple of rides in an amusement park because she couldn't reach the height requirement.


"Hi, Chaeyoung," Mina greeted.


"You didn't tell me you were coming with your friends."


"No, they're not--"


She was cut short by the trio's obnoxious laugh. "We brought Sana for this tiny thing?"


Nayeon was laughing so hard she had to hold her tummy. "She looks like...what do you call those miniature trees that you have in Japan?" she asked Sana.


"Bonsai."


"Right, right. She looks like a cute bonsai."


"Hey," Chaeyoung whined.


"Don't mind them. They're airheads."


Sana, seeing as to how her help wasn't really needed anymore, bid goodbye to Mina and her friend and left with Momo. Mina now had the problem of getting rid of the three idiots.


"Don't the three of you have something else better to do? Why not go look for a real ual predator."


"She's right, Nayeon. I need to return these brass knuckles to my sister's room. When I said borrow I meant I took it without her permission."


Nayeon rolled her eyes at Jungyeon and told Jihyo that they could go home without her. "I'll accompany pretty Myoui in babysitting this kid," Nayeon said to which Chaeyoung frowned on and Mina scowled on. She winked and Jihyo and Jungyeon got the hint.


Earlier that day, the three girls talked about their plans on getting back at Mina and discussed how they were going to execute it. This situation gave Nayeon the chance to do it. Jungyeon and Jihyo said their goodbyes and Nayeon turned to face Mina and the little kid. "So where to? I know this kid's cafe at the east side of the mall."

 

 

_____

i wasn't able to update quickly this time because of the teasers that jype has been releasing all week and ofc minayeon's abs lol

i know you guys probably know where im heading with this. it is THAT cliché lmao but i will still try to make it fun so you guys would continue to read it. also because i have all of these random scenarios playing in my head and i have to write them. i'm sorry if you would find the pace super slow but that's what i'm really used to so please bear with me 

comments and feedbacks would be very much appreciated but if all you'd say is "update soon" please get away from the keyboard or close this tab LOL

 

....but seriously don't do that it gets annoying and discourages people like me from updating. you're not gonna get anything from commenting "update soon" i, for one, am not getting anything from that so let's refrain ourselves from doing that.

 

im not really sorry for this longass rant but it is called for, i believe