Getting Even

Run Away Now

Jungyeon and Jihyo handed Nayeon's bag to her while they were trying to wipe their fake tears. "Our kid has grown so much. She's attending her first tutorial with the devil herself."

 

"We made sandwiches for you. We personally asked Sana how she packs Momo's lunch and I think we did a pretty good job. We made one for pretty girl, too so you could share." Jihyo handed another bag that looked like it belonged to Jihyo's little sister.

 

"A Pororo lunchbox? Are you serious?"

 

Jungyeon pat her head in affection. "Be a good girl now, okay?"

 

"I will put pepper powder on your pillows when I'm done here. Keep one eye open when you sleep."

 

Jihyo and Jungyeon just laughed it off even when they knew very well that Nayeon would really do it. They just had to make fun of their friend and kick her when she's down because it's what real friends do.

 

Nayeon knocked on the Myoui's front door and she was let in by one of the family's helpers. Jihyo and Jungyeon waved goodbye before they left.

 

"Jihyo, I thought we made spring rolls. That's what Sana taught us how to make."

 

"Yeah but I thought it'd be better and she'll be more energized if she ate carbs so I sandwiched the spring rolls between two breads and cut the crust."

 

"Oh, well that makes sense."

 


---

 


The helper led Nayeon to the second floor of the house where Mina's room was. "I'm not sure if she's still up. She only told us that if a girl with two huge front teeth came, we should let her in. She's already woken up earlier but she sometimes fall back to sleep. Just try knocking."

 

Nayeon nodded and she had to wait 15 minutes before Mina opened the door. She was basically banging on the door but Mina seemed like a really heavy sleeper. "Why are you so hard to wake up?"

 

"I was already awake. I was just too busy playing to open the door for you."

 

Nayeon was starting to think that Mina's having a lot of fun in testing her patience. It was a wonder how she totally hasn't lost it yet. She went in and let her eyes roam. Besides the clutter on the girl's desk, everything looked neat which only proves that Mina spends a huge amount of time playing with computer games.

 

Nayeon didn't know much about computers but she could tell that it was one of those fancy set-ups. She was seeing stuff she didn't know was essential when it comes to using the computer. "What does she need all those mouse for?" she asked herself when she saw a shelf that had several gaming mouse on it.

 

"Tell me which classes you do the worst on and we'll start there," said Mina, her gaze not leaving the computer screen as she continued to play.

 

"I'm exceptionally bad at Math but that's just because I believe we're not going to be using that much math in our daily lives. So why learn it?"

 

Mina pressed a key before turning around to face Nayeon, who was busy looking around her room. "Oh really? So if you get a third of student A's lunch money which is worth 5,000 won five times a week and you split that into three for you and your friends and then you add it up with half of student B's lunch money which is 10,000 won then deduct your and your friends' food expenses all week, how much do you get?" Nayeon stared at her blankly. "And you say math is not important."

 

"We take other kids' lunch money. Why do I need to compute how much I would get?"

 

"Think of bullying as your source of income, like a business partnership between you and your two friends. You have to know if you're getting the right amount and you're splitting it equally."

 

"What the hell? Bullying is not considered a 'business' just because we got money from doing it."

 

"So why do you do it? Is it fun torturing people?"

 

Nayeon shrugged. "Judging by how you talk to people and how you treat them, you should know but yes, I do find it midly entertaining. Besides, people are already expecting the worst from me, why not give them what they want? Why do I have to pretend that I'm a good person when everyone already thinks I'm not?"

 

Mina tried to figure the underlying meaning behind Nayeon's statement and thought that Nayeon was acting that way for a reason. She shook her head and told herself that she shouldn't overanalyze it. Why would she care about her anyway?

 

She noticed the things that Nayeon brought with her. "Why are you carrying a lunch box? Did you manage to pass by a daycare center and bullied a kid into giving you his food?"

 

"Oh, right. Jihyo and Jungyeon said they packed sandwiches for me. They made one for you, too but I don't think I'm gonna give it to you because you let me wait that long before opening the door to your room."

 

Mina scowled. She hasn't eaten breakfast or lunch yet but she was too lazy to ask anyone downstairs to make her a proper meal. Hearing "sandwiches" made her all the more hungry but when she saw what Nayeon's friends supposedly made for her, she suddenly lost her appetite. "What is that abomination?"

 

"They said they made me sandwiches. I should have known." She removed the spring rolls from the bread and took a bite. "Hmm, it actually doesn't taste that ba-- it's bland. I can't lie. Do you have like a soy sauce or something?"

 

"It's in the kitchen."

 

"Well, yeah duh! Who would keep a condiment inside their ro--"

 

"I only have ketchup." Mina pulled a bottle of ketchup from her drawer and tossed it to her bed. "Eat on the floor. I don't want any food crumbs on my bed.

 

Not much "studying together" has been done for the next hour. Nayeon was too busy stuffing her face with the bland spring rolls and when she finished those, she went on to eat the bread. She tried putting ketchup as a filling but she just couldn't stand the taste. "Noted. Ketchup sandwich. Not good."

 

Mina, on the other hand, continued playing. Nayeon thought she was talking to someone who she's playing with online but she noticed Mina wasn't even wearing her headset.

 

"Son of a-- I got shot again!"

 

"Can I use your bathroom?" Nayeon whined.

 

"No, go use the one for the guests. When you go out, take a left turn."

 

"Why can't I use yours? What are you hiding?"

 

"I just don't like other people using my bathroom. It's part of my personal space. You shouldn't even be here in my room. We just don't have anywhere else to study."

 

"Study? You've been playing the whole time."

 

"And you've been pigging out the whole time and now you have to go do your business."

 

"I'm just going to pee!" Nayeon left the room. She found the bathroom easily and on her way back to Mina's room, she saw an unfamiliar girl and shamelessly gawked at her. She immediately came back to Mina's room and asked, "Who was that beautiful girl? I thought you only had one sister."

 

"Krystal-uunie? I thought she's already left."

 

"Keu-rys-tal. Krystal. Krystal, Krystal, Krystal, Krystal."

 

"Stop! What are you repeating her name for?" Mina pause her game again, looking agitated.

 

"So I don't forget it. So I'm assuming she's another step sister?" Mina nodded. "That's too bad. It means you don't share the beautiful genes but it's okay, I guess, you're still pretty in your own way."

 

Mina who's been so used to winning every argument with Nayeon was getting really irritated about one thing. "Could you stop saying that?"

 

"What? Saying what?"

 

"Calling me pretty. Pretty girl or...whatever it is that you and your friends call me."

 

"Why?"

 

"Ju-just stop it! I don't like it." Mina spun her swivel chair to face the screen and hide her blushing cheeks from Nayeon. Her face was heating up again.

 

"Why? It's not like it's a lie."

 

"Just stop."

 

Nayeon had a difficult time understanding why Mina would react that way but once she realized something, a playful smile formed on her lips. For two weeks now, she's been trying to figure out a way to get back at Mina for insulting her multiple times. She couldn't do anything to hurt her and her attempt to make Mina look like an idiot just didn't work the way she wanted it to but now she's thinking that she's finally found a foolproof way of getting that sweet revenge.

 

She stood up and walked towards Mina, spinning the swivel chair so the latter would be facing her. "But you are pretty though." She looked at Mina dead straight in the eyes and gently grazed the girl's cheek with her fingertips. "Now that I'm looking at you closely, I think 'pretty' is an understatement."

 

Nayeon was finally able to notice how Mina's cheeks are turning into a deep shade of pink and Mina couldn't do anything to hide it. She was, however, able to put up a front, hoping that Nayeon would buy it. "I feel so ually harassed right now. Get your hands off me."

 

But it didn't work, it only encouraged Nayeon to do more. She was cupping Mina's cheek with her hand and at the same time trapping her in the chair, making sure she has no way to escape. "You're actually cute when you get shy and you try to hide it," she whispered to her ear.

 

Mina wasn't quite sure why she was liking how their faces were so close and how this should make her feel uncomfortable but her body was telling her otherwise.

 

Nayeon was pretty satisfied with the reaction she was getting but decided that it was way too early to show all the cards in her deck so she walked away from Mina and played innocent as she sat on the bed."We should really study now. I'm betting Principal Song would be calling us to her office any day next week again."

 

Mina glared at her before throwing an old textbook of hers. "Turn to page 22 and answer all the odd-numbered questions. Give it to me when you're finished. Odd numbers are 1, 3, 5, 7 and so on."

 

"Yah! I know what odd numbers are!" Nayeon couldn't believe it. She's got the upperhand ten seconds ago. Mina was really doing well at pissing her off.

 

While Nayeon was doing the exercise on the textbook, Mina was playing a game but she couldn't concentrate when all she could think about was what transpired earlier. She kept on dying on the game she was playing and she had to wait for someone to revive her which meant she had time to mull over those things. She kept asking herself why she reacted the way she did. It wasn't quite like her to be affected by someone's words like that. She touched her cheek where Nayeon's hand was placed minutes ago. "I'm going crazy. I must be starving."

 

She went downstairs to look for any food that she could bring to her room and when she came back, she saw Nayeon staring at the photo of her and Krystal.n "What are you doing? Are you done with the exercise?"

 

"Yeah. It kept on asking me to find X and it was there the whole time," answered Nayeon, eyes never leaving the photo.

 

"Tell me you didn't just encircle the 'x' that was written in there."

 

Nayeon faced her and grinned.

 

"You are hopeless."

 

"I'm kidding. I actually solved some of it. I don't want you to tell on me to Principal Song like you did with us to Sana last week, you snitch."

 

"Whatever. Put that frame down."

 

"You know, you actually look...how should I say it? Angelic? Yeah, you look angelic in this photo. I mean, your smile is. You don't seem like you're a descendant of Satan. Could've fooled me."

 

"I told you stop saying that." Mina walked past her and sat back on her chair, stuffing a choco pie in which she immediately regretted when Nayeon once again invaded her personal space.

 

"You probably think I'm lying because I hate your guts but I'm not. I do think you're beautiful." Nayeon really was telling the truth. She really did think that Mina had that "face that could launch a thousand ships" and that kind of face was rare. "Enchanting even."

 

Even though Nayeon only wanted to piss Mina off, because the girl obviously didn't like it when she gets called pretty, she meant everything she's said and for the first time in two weeks she was able to have the last word.

 

 

_____

another update i'm probably able to update this quick because i get a lot of inspiration in seeing twice and watching them (something im not getting from the other group)

 

but i just realized, for those who have read chorus and followed the krystal and tiffany pairing, that if i did write about their characters for another fic then this would be it. mina would be krystal and nayeon would be tiffany since i made mina the sassy one and nayeon the of mina's jokes