Bring It

Run Away Now

"Mina, you're going to be late. Stop that. Have you even slept yet?"

 

A girl with the long wine-colored hair ignored the older girl who conveniently entered her room without her permission. "I hate being the youngest," she muttered. "I'm not going to school today."

 

"Why is that?"

 

She typed a message before turning around to face the older girl. "It's the first day of the school year and it's going to be full of repetitive introductions, Jessica-unnie."

 

The older girl sighed and checked the time on her wrist watch. She was going to be late and that would not set a good example for her students. "Mina, come on. It's my first day today and this is the first day of your senior year. Can't you just do that later?"

 

The seventeen-year old girl named Mina huffed in frustration. She clicked the exit button and switched off the device. "Fine. I guess I'll be completing that mission later. I was so close." She whined and made an attempt to act cute in front of Jessica by puffing up her cheeks.

 

If they were in a different situation, Jessica would have find it adorable. She's still convinced that Mina's cheeks look the way that they are now because when they were kids and their mom was not looking, she'd pinch them.

 

"Get ready and do it quickly please. That means no stealing a few minutes of shut-eye in the tub. Thank you." Mina's shoulders slumped as she walked into her bathroom to wash and get dressed.

 

Myoui Mina and Jung Jessica may only be step sisters and are not blood-related but they knew each other really well and Jessica knew that Mina has caught her habit of being able to fall asleep anywhere.

 

It only took the younger girl 8 minutes to get ready for school. She brushed her teeth and washed her face then put on an ensemble that Jessica didn't approve of so she had to do a quick change. "Mina, the school has a strict uniform policy. Please stop dressing like you're going to rob a convenience store," the older sister said when she saw her wearing a hoodie instead of the blazer that the school requires their students to wear.

 

The two hurriedly got inside their car with Jessica instructing the driver to pass by the nearest drive-thru so they could grab breakfast since they didn't have the chance to eat the food that their mom prepared for them before she left.

 

While Jessica was busy stating their orders, Mina stared outside the window and saw a group of young girls wearing the same uniform that was wearing, huddling up in a corner and laughing like hyenas.

 

One girl in particular caught Mina's attention. She was standing on a bench holding what seemed to look like a purse and in front of her was another girl who was wearing a different uniform which Mina recognized to be a uniform from the public school that was ten blocks away from theirs.

 

"What are you looking at?" Jessica asked.

 

"An idiot who's about to fall off a bench and a bunch of delinquents. Dad should see them then maybe he wouldn't think so badly of me. At least i don't go around beating people up...in real life, of course." Mina chuckled at her own inside joke and Jessica could only shake her head.

 

"Maybe you should stop locking yourself in your room and stop skipping classes so he wouldn't be so upset."

 

They got to the school in time and parted ways as soon as they entered the gate. Jessica went to the faculty and Mina to her first class. On her way there, she was greeted by other students whom she only recognized to be in the same class as she was last year. She didn't bother knowing their names. She only nodded to be polite and when she saw students that she's worked with in group projects, she'd look at her phone and pretend that she didn't see them.

 

It's not that she hates them. She just didn't like being all chummy with other people. She's learned at a very young age that the people you get really close to are the ones who could hurt you the most. She thinks that she was better off alone. "I feel better playing computer games than spending time with these people anyway," she would constantly tell herself.

 

The first day in her senior year went incredibly slow for Mina. The students introduced themselves one by one even though most of them knew each other and have been classmates since middle school. Mina knew the faces and the names but she never bothered knowing which name went with which face.

 

During the other kids' introductions, she would secretly whip out her phone and play a game. The teacher in their Korean class, Mr. Yoo, has been handling her class since she was in her junior year. The poor old guy has grown tired of telling her not to play with her phone during class and just lets her be.

 

"Im Nayeon? What are you doing here?" she heard Mr. Yoo asked. It wasn't a familiar name and she had to look up to see if what she was thinking was right. It was. She's never heard of an Im Nayeon but she's seen the girl who just took the seat in front of her.

 

She heard her other classmates mumbling and whispering to each other. She looked around only to see their terrified faces.

 

"This institute does not tolerate any of their students getting into fights and attending their classes like they've just finished beating someone up. On the first day of school much less," said Mr. Yoo.

 

Mina wasn't able to see her face when she sat down but she did see the girl's arms covered in bandages and she thinks she knows how the girl got them.

 

After their last class ended, Mina was slightly surprised that the principal was summoning her. Being called to the principal's office wasn't new to her. What surprised her was that this was the first day of the school year and she hasn't done any skipping yet. "I should even get a recognizition for not skipping any of the boring classes today," she said to herself.

 

When she got there, she saw Im Nayeon talking to their principal, Mrs. Song Mo Yeon. The young lady was only in her early 40s when she was appointed to be be the principal of Youngbae High School but Mina is convinced that she's aged about 10 years because of the students who constantly got themselves into trouble or those who just didn't give much attention to their academic lives such as her.

 

"This is your final year in high school and at this school. Can't you just please make this year count and stop being such a pain to me, to your teachers and to other students? Is that such a big favor to ask, Im Nayeon?"

 

"You asked for me, Principal Song?" Mina finally made her presence be known. "I didn't skip any class today so the person who told you that I did is most probably lying."

 

The principal heaved a sgih and told her to take the vacant seat. "No one has told me you've skipped their class...yet and I'm thankful for that. It is the first day of school after all. I suppose I should be giving you an award for not skipping?"

 

Mina nodded in response. "That's exactly what I was thinking on my way here," she said with a serious expression and Mrs. Song just wanted to commit a crime and strangle the two girls in front of her. She didn't sign up for any of this. She thought that being the principal in this school would be a breeze. "Good and respectful students my ," Mrs. Song said under her breath.

 

"Because there is no way hell I would be in this office right now for the same reason as hers," Mina added and pointed at Nayeon who was currently giving her deathly glares.

 

Mina took note of the bruise that was on her forehead and she shook her head. "How much of a could you be?" she said loud enough for Nayeon to hear and the latter kicked the foot of her chair to let her know that she heard every word.

 

"Could you two just...okay, I'm calm. Any other person would let you leave this insitution without trying to change your attitude but I'm not any other person. Since this is your final year, I'm giving you two an ultimatum." Principal Song addressed Mina first. "From now on you cannot skip any of your classes. You either attend them all or you are not allowed to take the exam during exam period. Not with a valid reason at least and by valid I mean you cannot use the 'I have an important tournament to watch' excuse. I don't even know why a group of guys playing computer games and competing with each other have to have an audience."

 

Mina was quick to voice out her opinion. "With all due respect, you don't get it because you're old and it's not fair for you to tell me that I can't take an exam that you know I could pass even when I don't attend a minute of that class. I could pass every class without attending it just by taking the exams and you know that damn well."

 

Nayeon's ears perked up. Yes, she bullies other students. It didn't matter to her if they were older or younger than her by years but for all the time she's spent at the principal's office, she has never talked to her the way the girl did.

 

"You better watch your language and your tone with me, young lady and yes, it is unfair for me to do that, isn't it? But how is it fair for you to be passing every class that you have when you don't even attend them while other students go to their classes every day and work hard just to get a passing grade? May I remind you that attendance is still mandatory. You're still in high school, Miss Myoui and this school has rules that you need to comply to."

 

"It's not my fault students of her kind can't catch up even if they try hard to get good grades," she said, referring to Nayeon once again. She barely knew Nayeon but she was the only one in the room whom she can vent out her anger to.

 

"That's enough," the principal said before Mina pushes Nayeon over the edge and a fight breaks loose. She noticed Nayeon's knuckles were turning white from grabbing the arm chair too tight. "You will be attending every class or you're not going to be graduating this year and that would mean you'll have another year with me in this school. I'll make sure you won't enjoy it."

 

"And you, Im Nayeon. I have lost count of how many times you've gotten into trouble with other students from this school and from other schools. It needs to stop. If you get yourself into trouble, I won't be suspending you. No, I am not giving you what you want anymore since being suspended and getting expelled seem to be your main objective. If you get into another fight or if I get any report that says you've bullied someone again, you are going to get an extra two hours of class everyday for the rest of the week. That's 10 hours worth of classes every week and if you are not able to pass a class, you will also be spending another year with me and that punishment would continue until you leave this school which I will make sure isn't going to happen if you don't stop making trouble."

 

Mina stood up and exclaimed, "Why should I be getting the same level of punishment when I don't even do half the amount of bad things she's done? If she's been bullying students and beating them up, then why should I be punished the same way as she is when the only bad thing I've done is to skip a boring class and spare myself from boringass teachers who are clearly not made to teach?"

 

"Miss Myoui, let me ask you this, what exactly do you aim to be after you graduate? Do you even have plans on entering a university?"

 

"No," she answered bluntly. "I'll be a professional gamer." She turned her head to see a laughing Nayeon who was clutching her stomach.

 

"What a joke. A pro gamer? Getting paid to what? Playing those little computer games?"

 

"Better than ending up in jail." Mina noticed how Nayeon's shoulders tensed up and the smug smile on her face disappeared.

 

"The reason I called you both here and why I transferred Nayeon to all of your class, Mina is because I want you two to help each other. You two are causing too much trouble for me so maybe this will solve it."

 

"So we could kill each other and make your problems go away?" Nayeon asked, no hints of sarcasm and for a brief second Mina was scared.

 

Mrs. Song wanted to say yes so badly. "I've informed all of your teachers about this. Mina, I want you to help Nayeon in studying. Nayeon..." the principal stared expectantly at the girl, "please don't hurt her in any way and help her make friends."

 

Mina found her statement to be ridiculous. "You're going to be interfering with my social life now."

 

"How can I interfere with something that doesn't exist?"

 

Mina could hear Nayeon's muffled laughs. "Whatever. Don't expect me to hold some stupid girl's hand just so she could graduate high school and leave this hell of place."

 

"Call me stupid one more--"

 

"You two are both dismissed!" It was 5 in the afternoon and Mrs. Song didn't need a delinquent and a slacker beating each other up in her office. She was too tired and all she wanted is to go home and make tea for herself.

 

Mina stormed off and Nayeon soon followed. The latter was having a hard time catching up with Mina because of her slightly swollen ankle. "Yah! Don't think you could call me names and get away with it."

 

Mina stopped walking and turned to face her. "Stop acting like you're so tough, making people think you actually got in a fight. Pathetic."

 

"Why this b--"

 

"Fight with whom? The bench and gravity? You could pretend you got into a fight but that will not change the fact that your stupid just fell off that broken bench."

 

"How did you even..." Nayeon growled and started approaching Mina. "Just because these are all caused by me accidentally falling off of that bench doesn't mean I won't be able to beat you to a pulp. Be careful who you're trying to pick a fight with."

 

"Or what? You and your posse will make my school life a living hell?" Mina scoffed and made the gap between their faces smaller. "Bring it. Let's see if your bullying would have an effect on me."

 

Nayeon was ready to fight her right then and there but Mrs. Song's word echoed in her head. Now that she thinks about it, her punishment was harsher than Mina's. Mina just had to attend all the classes. If the girl didn't have trouble passing when she barely went to school then she certainly won't have any problem passing them if she actually attends the classes. Nayeon, on the other hand, attends most of her classes but is always on the verge of getting failed marks.

 

No matter how she looks at it, she was the one who needed help. She didn't really want to stay behind while the rest of the students in her class graduate. So she needed to be a little nicer to this girl who was challenging her.

 

"What? You have nothing to say now?"

 

"You must be thinking you're better than everyone else, huh?"

 

"Yeah but I still have my doubts sometimes," Mina replied arrogantly, "what I'm sure of is that I'm better than a thug cosplayer. I should leave now and play my little computer games, as you'd like to call them. I'll let you go to your headquarters and round up your small mafia. By headquarters, I mean the playground across the street. Have fun playing pretend mafia leader. Please try not to take candies from kids 5 and below. You'll end up scarring them for life. Go bully those who are already going to school because you know they're already corrupted. School works and all."

 

Mina walked out of the school premises and Nayeon could only stare at her as she got inside the car. She shouldn't even have been surprised that Mina was able to talk to her the way she did just then because she's already seen how she talked to the principal.

 

"Myoui Mina, huh? You'll get what you're asking for. Just wait."

 

 

_______

so there's chapter 1 the only chapter i've written so far 

yes i had to include jessica and yes i made her and mina step sisters because i am convince that myoui mina is a long lost sister. i actually started liking mina because she reminded me so much of jessica. but now i like her because she's just weird mina. 

other characters would be introduced on the next chapter 

as for the title of the fanfic i got it from this song that i'm recently addicted to. troye sivan's youth one line in the chorus goes, "my youth is yours run away now and forever more" im not even sure why i chose that particular line. excuse my mess but i guess that song is what inspired me to write this. i just really really like it.