Repeat

Crisscross (semi-hiatus)

 

Narrator's pov:

 

The light of the sun peeped through a small opening of two curtains. It was a small ray of light in the dark room. 

"Mhmnmmhm." a sleepy moan escaped the person laying on the bed, his hands quickly pulling the blanket over his head to keep the light away from him.

Though he blocked the light out, birds were chirping cheerfully outside his windows, making him unable to fall back in sleep.

A head popped out from under the covers, taking in the much needed oxygen. 

"My alarm didn't go off yet." he muttered to himself, looking at his cellphone with squinted eyes. 

With a sigh, Kyungsoo kicked his covers off him and crawled out of bed. His hair was a complete mess and his eyes were only half open.

Half awake, he dragged himself to the bathroom to freshen himself up before making himself look decent enough to go to the outside world.

Kyungsoo looked into the mirror, eye in eye with hiw own reflection. A small smile played on his lips as he fixed his clothes before he nodded satisfied.

"Let's go to class!" 

Full energy, Kyungsoo exited his little appartment, walking into the direction of the big intersection that was on his way to college. 

Like always, he waited for the red light to jump to green, meanwhile greeting a little toddler that kept staring at him with his big cute eyes.

"Bye." he smiled at the toddler after he noticed the light turned green, crossing the intersection quickly.

Easily, he avoided the sea of people crossing from every direction. Like a true professional, he moved left and right, dodging a few elementary kids that were playing around and business men that were more interested in their phones and tablets than looking in front of them.

"Morning!" 

Kyungsoo looked at his left and grinned as his hand made a quick wave in the air.

"You're early today." the taller young man remarked, handing a cup of coffee to his best friend.

"You're just an early bird, Kai." Kyungsoo mumbled, taking the cup and sipping from the coffee made with fresh grinded coffee beans. 

Kai shrugged his shoulders, not even going to argue his friend's words because he was indeed a person that easily stood up, even if it was early in the morning.

"The sun and the birds woke me up." Kyungsoo muttered, taking another sip from his hot beverage.

"People woke up like that back in the old days, you know." Kai chuckled amused, the two young men moving their legs to continue their way to their college campus.

"I'm too modern then." Kyungsoo shrugged.

"You're not making any sense, Kyungsoo." Kai tilted his head, deciding to not bother himself anymore with his friend's sleeping habits.

Once they entered their campus, they were surrounded by students, talking about their latest assignments and projects or about how tiring studying and doing a part time job was.

Just like all the other students, Kyungsoo and Kai chatted about the paper they had to make due next week.

"I just can't find the motivation to start." Kyungsoo complained, throwing his empty paper cup, that was filled with cofee, away in a trash bin along his way.

Kai nodded in agreement, a low grumble escaping him.

"I'm stuck with choosing the fall of the Roman epire or research about the vikings that travelled the waters around Europe." Kai said, his index finger tapping on his chin as he thought deeply about the two subjects.

Kyungsoo hummed, entering his classroom where only a few students were sitting spread around. 

"You're doing it about the battle in Waterloo, Napoleon, right?" Kai asked, making himself comfortable in his chair, not even wasting energy to take out his notebook and writing utensils, which Kyungsoo did, placing them in a messy pile in front of him.

"Yeah. I'm going to visit the library tomorrow, I think. I fixed an niterview with someone too." 

Kai narrowed his eyes, giving Kyungsoo a soft glare.

"And you say you're unmotivated, you liar." Kai scoffed.

Kyungsoo smiled.

"I rather force myself on it than score a zero for this paper assignment." Kyungsoo grinned, holding out a peace sign which Kai quickly took down, annoyed by it.

 

"You're going to the supermarket, right? I'm coming along. I need to refill my refrigerator." Kyungsoo said, running towards Kai who was planning to go grocery shopping.

"You still have some pickled vegetables and sidedishes, right?" Kai asked with a smug grin, Kyungsoo looking at his friend with raised eyebrows.

"I really should tell my mom to make some more because you're eating all the food instead of me!" Kyungsoo complained.

"Please do, I love your motehr's cooking." Kai laughed loudly, earning some curious glances from bystanders.

"Yeah yeah." Kyungsoo sighed, pushing his tall friend inside the supermarket so that he wouldn't lose too much time outside.

 

Kyungsoo waved goodbye to his best friend before going his own way back to his little appartment.

It was quieter than the big roads and it calmed him down.

He greeted a grandmother on his way and helped another grandfather who was struggling to carry bags with fruits.

Once he saw the familiar building that was his home in the big city, he smiled, climbing the stone stairs till he reached level 2.

"Oh, a package?" Kyungsoo asked himself, his eyes falling on a large carton box. "Mom must have send some thigns over again. Kai will be happy." he rolled his eyes.

He unlocked the front door and kicked the box inside with his left foot, not bending down because he knew the box was too heavy for him to carry inside.

The young man placed his own plastic bag with food on the kitchen table before taking a nife and going for the box, cutting the tape with the knife's sharp teeth.

"Pickled veggies, fermented cabbage, homemade soy bean paste, marinated pork,..." Kyungsoo muttered the things he took out of the carton box, laying them on teh ground next to him. "Even soy sauce marianted crab?!" he gasped, quickly putting the food in the fridge so that they wouldn't spoil.

When he returned to the box to make it flat, he noticed something at the corner of it, his eyes narrowing slightly.

Taking the thing out of it, he studied it before tilting his head to the side.

"A bracelet? Did mom bought it for me? It's pretty." Kyungsoo smiled, eyes glued on the beads bracelet. It would have looked like a simple rbacelet if it wasn't for the emerald colored stone that asked for attention.

"She should have put it in a box though, what if it broke with all the weight of the food on it." he sighed, putting it around his right wrist.

Kyungsoo's lips curled up, liking the gift.

"I should thank her for the bracelet tomorrow." 

 

---

 

Beep beep beep beep beep.

Kyungsoo grumbled as his alarm went off.

It annoyed him when he didn't find his cellphone. Finally opening his eyes, he grabbed his phone and cancelled the alarm clock that kept beeping to make him wake up.

7:17 AM.

"A text message?" Kyungsoo muttered, tapping on his screen to open the text message he got from Kai.

"Morning, Soo. Go to class alone today. I took the elevator and it got stuck. I won't make it because the security guard hasn't arrived even till now." Kyungsoo read, making a frown.

'That's the problem if you have to take the elevator to reach the the 6th level, idiot.'

Throwing his cellphone on his mattrass, Kyungsoo waggled his towards the bathroom after turning on the TV, the morning news popping up.

"Yesterday evening, a fire broke out because a child was left alone at home. Both parents had to work with no one to keep an eye on the child. Only four years old and alone at home, he started playing inside the kitchen. The police suspects that the boy of four burned a kitchen towel and the fire started to spread when the flames touch other things. The boy is in critical condition at the intensive care." a news reporter said, a few images of a burned house and the photo of the little boy showing on the screen.

Kyungsoo shook his head lightly. He didn't understand how the boy could have been left alone and such a tragic thing could happen.

'At least lock the kitchen door and make sure everything dangerous is out of his reach. It musn't have been easy for the parents either to leave a child all alone at home.' 

"A car accident happend this morning around 6AM on the national highway. A traffic jam is to be expected with a delay of thirthy minutes."

'Another car accidents? There have been so many car accidents lately.'

Kyungsoo walked out of the bathroom, all freshened up, hair combed and finally completely awake.

"Tomorrow, there will be a charity concert to gather money for children of poor families and orhpans. The concert will start at 7PM and tickets will be sold online and at the venue itself."

The young man grabbed the remote and turned the TV off, a yawn escaping him.

"I better hurry up." he muttered to himself and grabbed his bag before leaving his appartment, ready to go to morning class.

"Good morning." one of the grandmothers living in the neighborhood greeted Kyungsoo.

"Good morning." he said back, giving the old lady a warm smile.

When he finally reached the big intersection, he stopped his track, waiting patiently for the light to jump to a waking green man.

"Mommy, I want hot chocolate." a little girl pouted because her mother didn't buy one for her.

"Sweetie, we don't have time for that now. You have to go to school and mommy has to work. "

The little girl, hair pulled in twin pigtails, pouted even more.

"It's green, let's go, sweetie." the mom said, pulling her daughter with her to cross the intersection.

Kyungsoo did as well, moving to the left to avoid people busy with reading something on their phones and then moving to the right again to dodge group of high school girls.

"Auw."

The young man stopped and looked down, finding a grandfather who had felt because of weak and wobbly legs.

"Are you alright?" kyungsoo quickly asked, bending down to help him stand up again.

"Ooh... T-thank you, young man." the grandfather smiled gratefully, doing his best to keep his balance. "Thank you s-so much."

"I'll help you cross the street. Let's go." Kyungsoo offered, holding out his arm so that the grandfather could support himself on Kyungsoo.

"What a nice young lad you are." the grandfather chuckled, giving him another thankful smile before going his own way.

Kyungsoo continued walking, finally reaching the campus building.

"Library first." he nodded to himself, going into the direction of the campus' library which was on the ground floor.

'European history, European history.' 

'Here!' he smiled when he found the section of European history. 'I should go to the public library too to get more information.' he nodded to himself.

Kyungsoo searched for some books that could come in handy for his paper assignment on Napoleon's battle in Waterloo, the place where he was defeated.

As a world history student, he had to do many projects and assignments of different parts of the world of different time periods as well.

Though he wasn't a very good student, he did find it interesting. History class had always been a fun subject for him, ever since middle school.

"These please." Kyungsoo spoke softly, shoving the books over the white desk.

A middleaged woman, maybe around his forties, nodded and scanned the books so that they were rented out in the system.

"Want a bag?" the woman asked, Kyungsoo shaking his head.

"They'll fit my bag. Thanks." he said, picking up two books and walking off so that the next one in line could get his books scanned.

'I can't forget about the interview later.' Kyungsoo reminded himself before hurrying to his classroom.

 

"How was being stuck in the elevator?" Kyungsoo asked his best friend.

"Horrible. It took so long for them to get that thing moving again." he hissed, showing his annoyance. "Luckily I had my cellphone with me, or I would already have been bored to death before dying from lack of oxygen."

"You're being dramatic." Kyungsoo laughed, playing with his pen.

Kai scoffed, shaking his head.

"You try being stuck in an elevator. I think I'll take the stairs in the future." Kai shuddered. "I don't think I even dare to take the elevator anymore." he added, fanning himself with his hand.

"A few stairs won't hurt you. You're a sporty guy anyways." Kyugnsoo shrugged, Kai sighing in fake sadness because his best friend didn't seem to worry so much about him being stuck and having the chance to have died if the elevator decided to drop.

"Oh, nice bracelet. Where did you buy it?" Kai asked, changing the subject.

Kyungsoo looked at his right wrist and smiled.

"It was in the box mom send me. It's a gift from her. Ah, I should still thank her for it! I'll make call later."

"Your mom send a package?!" Kai beamed. 

If he would be a cartoon character, his eyes would have been heart shaped and sparkles would float around him as he clasped his hands together. 

"Come over tomorrow to get some food because I have the interview later. And get your own containers. You stole so many from me." Kyungsoo said, giving Kai a glare.

"They disappeared." Kai shrugged his shoulders, pretending to be innocent.

"Those plastic boxes don't disappear magically. They don't grow legs." Kyungsoo said with a snort, shaking his head.

"Maybe the box fairy took them." Kai grinned.

"Did that fairy leave some money behind?"

Kai shook his head.

"Exactly. So if you don't bring your own food containers, then there will be no food for you."

"Don't threaten me with food, that's just plain mean."

Kyungsoo shrugged his shoulders, scribbling random circles on a piece of paper.

 

"Thank you for making some time for me." Kyungsoo thanked the older person sitting across him, a gentle smile playing on his lips.

"Don't worry about it. I hope I can give you more information for your paper." he said, sipping from his lemon tea.

I too, took a sip from my ginger tea before clearing my throat, taking out a pen and paper.

"You know who Napoleon was, right?" the man asked, Kyungsoo giving a quick nod.

"Yes. He was a French political leader who crowned himself emperor, right?"

The man nodded, taking another sip from his tea before starting.

"The Battle of Waterloo happend in a small country called Belgium, back then still land of the Netherlands, in Europe. He was utterly defeated in the end and that's why as a remembrance of Napoleon and his army being defeated, a large lion stands in Waterloo, as it was a symbol of courage and was also found on the personal coat of arms from the monarch of the Netherlands. It stands on top of a green hill and you can see the place that was once a battlefield. Aside the Lion's Mound, there is also a museum which you can visit. Though it may be a little too far for you?" 

Kyungsoo smiled sheepishly, nodding his head.

"Yeah... I don't think I have the time or the money to travel to the other side of the world." he chuckled.

"Hahaha... I can understand that. I have some things from the museum back home. Maybe I can copy some for you."

"Oh, that would be awesome, thank you!"

"No need, no need. Everything to help you." the man said before continuing his story."

 

Dead tired, Kyungsoo entered his appartment, dropping himself on his couch, a big yawn escaping him.

"Hello? Yes, one portion fried chicken and some baked potato wedges." Kyungsoo said, having dialed the fried chicken restaurant. 

It didn't take long for it to arrive, maybe twenty minutes. 

When he smelled the scent of fried chicken, Kyungsoo lit up completely.

"I should get some fermented cabbage too!" he hummed, going to his fridge to take out the container that was filled with the cabbage.

He settled back in his couch and the TV. Zapping away from the news, he finally decided to eat while watching a variety show.

 

"Is it already 11PM? I really should sleep." Kyungsoo gasped, dropping the chicken bones and box in the trash bin.

In a fast pace, he brushed his teeth, took a nice hot shower and changed into his pajamas.

"Hmm... I'll call mom tomorrow." he muttered to himself, closing his eyes and dozing off.

 

---

 

Beep beep beep beep beep.

Kyungsoo grumbled as his alarm went off.

It annoyed him when he didn't find his cellphone. Finally opening his eyes, he grabbed his phone and cancelled the alarm clock that kept beeping to make him wake up.

"7:17 AM." he yawned the hour displayed on his screen.

"A text message?" Kyungsoo asked, tapping on his screen to open the text message he got from Kai.

 

 


 

Hope you liked this first real chapter!

Please don't forget to subscribe and to comment, please don't be silent readers, thank you ^^

Comments are very loved :D Give me your thoughts, your opinions, questions :D 

Look forward for more ^^