Surprise Call

Minril Verse

"Hey noona! There's another latte for table 25 to take out!" Cyril called across the counter of the coffee shop as another order came through. 

 

"Okay!" Kayla and Cyril had been at work all morning and it had been pretty quiet, that was until one Kim Kibum, aka Key, had decided to show up at the cafe, of course meaning that there was a horde of fangirls following him. To make things even more hectic, since all the fans had decided now was a good time to get coffee, Key hadn't gone up to the VIP level like the other idols usually would have, but had decided instead to sit at one of the counter tables right along-side where the coffee was being made.

 

"Kibum-ah," Kayla had been told to dispense with formal ways of address as soon as he'd starting talking to her, seeing as she was his elder after all. "Come on, you know I'd love to meet the other members of SHINee, you should bring them in when you get the chance." Key laughed.

 

"Okay, will do noona." He smiled and took another sip of his coffee. He and Kayla had fast turned friends in the 2 weeks that Kayla had been working in Jaejoong's coffee shop, chatting about fashion and reminiscing about the time that had passed since he and the rest of SHINee had been in Australia for K-pop fest. "By the way, had I told you how pretty you look today?" Kayla laughed and poked her tongue out at the younger male.

 

"Oh shush you, you may have already, but you sure know how to flatter a girl don't you?" Kayla was interrupted by one of the other employees calling out to her that she had a phone call. "Be right there!" She turned back to Key.

 

"Well guess that's my queue to let you get back to work, I’ll try and lure some of these fans away so it's a little more quiet for the morning." Key smiled, finishing off his coffee before standing to hug Kayla over the counter. "I'll see you tomorrow!" He waved and walked out of the cafe, luckily for the staff with more than half his entourage following him.

 

"Hello?" Kayla took the phone from the other barista. "Oh hey Minnie, what's wrong?" She paused while Changmin explained on the other end.

 

"Is there any way you can get off work a bit early?"

 

"Uh, my shift ends in about 10 minutes anyways, I was only on the morning shift, why?" She wondered why Changmin would be asking her to come home early.

 

"Cause Yunho hyung's hurt himself during practice. We're at the hospital now with our manager, but I have a schedule to go to and I can't go home with him." Changmin explained.

 

"If he okay? It's not serious is it?" Kayla started to worry, quickly waving Cyril over from the now quiet counter towards her. "No? Okay, I'll get home as soon as I can." She hung up the phone after Changmin explained what was wrong.

 

"What's happening? You sounded worried noona." Cyril asked with a puzzled look on his face. "That was Minnie-ah right?"

 

"Yeah, I'll have to go as soon as my shift finishes, Yunho's hurt himself at practice and needs someone to be home when he gets there to help him around. Minnie said it was a bad sprain, nothing serious, but he's gonna be on crutches for about a week and will probably be getting physiotherapy as well."

 

"Will you be okay getting home by yourself? You know which bus to catch now don't you?" Kayla nodded at Cyril's question. She'd had to learn to navigate her way around the Seoul bus and train system because Yunho and Changmin had been too busy lately with their comeback preparation to be dropping her and Cyril off at work whenever they had a shift.

 

"I'll be fine. I'll text you when I get home so you know I got there safe." Kayla smiled, looking up at the clock above the entry way to the cafe, and seeing that it was now the end of her shift, she took off her apron. "I guess I'll see you when you get back. You're only on for another hour aren't you?" Cyril nodded.

 

"Yeah, see you noona." Cyril quickly hugged her before quickly walking back over to the counter where a customer had popped up to order. Kayla put her apron over her arm and grabbed her bag from the employee room behind the main counter area before exiting the cafe through the side staff entrance.

 

...

 

It took her about 15 minutes to get home, the traffic had been on her side for once, usually it took about 25 minutes to get back to Yunho and Changmin's apartment at this time of day.

 

When she walked into the apartment, Yunho was already there, sitting on the couch facing sideways with his left leg propped up on a few pillows. His manager looked like he was in a hurry to leave, pacing in front of the couch on the phone, talking in Korean almost so fast Kayla couldn't understand it.

 

"Ah, you're back." The manager said, realising that Kayla had walked into the apartment before turning to Yunho. "You know what to do, lots of rest, no putting weight on your leg, okay?" Yunho nodded, smiling at Kayla before his manager quickly walked out of the apartment, giving the girl a small bow as he passed still on the phone.

 

"You know you didn't have come home so quickly Kayla-yah." Yunho leaned back into the cushion that was behind his back. "It's only a sprain, it's not like i've broken anything."

 

"I know, but when Minnie called I was just about to finish my shift anyway. He said you'd be on crutches so you might need a little help around the apartment." Kayla dropped her bag on one of the lounge chairs as well as her work apron, then took off her shoes. "And a bad sprain is nothing to not worry about, it can still be pretty serious if you don't treat it right."

 

"I know, I know, I've had plenty of sprains before this one, but this one's probably the worst I've had. Doctor said I was lucky I didn't tear anything. Yunho winced as he shifted his leg into a better position on the pillow. "But it's my knee, so it's going to take longer than a sprained ankle to heal which is bad. Me and Minnie are supposed to be getting ready for our comeback later in the year. That's why he's not here now, he still had to run off to a meeting with out manager."

 

"Well we'll just have to take extra good care of you so that it heals quickly won't we?" Kayla padded over to slip an extra pillow behind Yunho's back so he wouldn't be slouching. "Have you called Jae and told him yet?"

 

"Not yet, I thought I'd wait and see how serious it actually was before I called him. He's in Japan at the moment at a fan meeting for a few days, so I didn't want to stress him out." Yunho smiled sadly. He and Jaejoong never got much time together when they were both in Korea at the same time. But they were hoping that they would be able to sometime in the near future.

 

"You should really call him. Or I'll call him for you." Kayla made the man laugh.

 

"You're way too motherly for your own good at times." He laughed again, Kayla joining in as well.

 

"Well you sit there and relax, I'll make you a cup of tea and then you can call your boyfriend okay?"

 

...

 

"No Jae, you don't have to fly back right now. You've only been there a day and you still have 2 more fan meetings to get through before you come back. Imagine what the fans would say if you suddenly up and left the country without doing them!" Kayla had walked back into the room with Yunho's cup of tea, which was very happily accepted, and had been listening to him try to convince a very upset sounding Jaejoong on the phone to not fly straight back to Korea at the drop of a hat. He was silent for a few seconds before putting his hand briefly over the voice receiver and turning to Kayla with a pained expression on his face. "He's yelling at his manager to try and get a flight back."

 

"Want me to try?" Kayla motioned for Yunho to give her the phone, which he did, even Kayla could hear Jaejoong yelling on the other end even without the phone next to her ear.

 

"Yunho, I swear I'll be back there as soon as I can." He said a bit more calmly after the yelling had stopped.

 

"Wrong person sorry oppa." Kayla giggled as Jaejoong suddenly went quiet.

 

"Sorry you had to hear that Kayla-yah."

 

"It's fine Jae-ah, just calm down. Your boyfriend is fine, he's resting and I'm not going to let him do anything stupid until his knee heals properly." Jaejoong sighed on the other end of the phone line.

 

"Just tell him that if he does do anthing stupid, he'll have me to deal with in about a weeks time?"

 

"I'll tell him, you take care of yourself too okay? I'll take care of Yunho-ah." The older man seemed to accept the girl's deal.

 

"Okay, pass me back and I'll talk to you later?"  Kayla passed the phone back to a baffled looking Yunho with a smile, the injured man saying his goodbyes to his other half and then hanging up.

 

"How the hell did you manage to do that.?" He still looked genuinely surprised.

 

"A lot of practice with worried parents." Kayla laughed, Yunho joining in.

 

"Well thankyou anyway. You don't have to wait hand and foot on me though. I'm sure Jae will do enough of that as soon as he gets back. Kayla smiled.

 

"It's fine, afterall, he'd kill me if I didn't take care of you."

 

...

 

"Yeah Minnie, I'm on my way home now. How much longer are you gonna be?" Cyril walked in the opposite direction of Jaejoong's coffee shop, just having gotten off work a full two hours after Kayla had. He'd gotten a call from the girl which had quelled his fears about the leader being hurt seriously, but had decideed to take the bus back to the apartment to save Changmin having to come and pick him up in between meetings. Cyril stopped at the bus stop, a few other people waiting as well.

 

"I have to go okay Minnie? The bus will be here soon and I'll have to hang up anyway. What time are you going to be back tonight?" Cyril waited for the man's answer before continuing. "Okay, I'll see you then, bye." He hung up and put his phone away just as the bus pulled up before he got on and found a seat.

 

...

 

"I'm home!" Cyril walked through into the living room of the apartment looking for Kayla and Yunho. When he got to the living room, it was only to find said pair sitting on the lounge watching anime on the TV.

 

"Hey dongsaeng." Kayla smiled across at him from her place next to the leader on the couch. "Finished for the day?"

 

"Yeah, although you look like you're fine hyung. You had us worried there." Cyril tossed his work apron in the same place Kayla had put hers and flopped down into one of the lounge chairs next to the lounge. Yunho scratched the back of his head.

 

"Yeah, it's not as bad as they originally thought, but it's still pretty painful. I can't put any weight on my left leg for about a week and then it's only light exercise for a couple more. Minnie is not happy at all. Speaking of which, what time is he getting back tonight?"

 

"He said he'd get back as soon as he could get out of the meetings with your manager. Maybe about six or seven-ish?"

 

"Okay, I'll cook then." Kayla had been enjoying her impromptu cooking sessions with Jaejoong the past couple of weeks and had been helping cook for them.

 

"Thanks Kayla." Yunho smiled before tipping his head back and groaning. "Hey, can one of you two grab that packet of pain killers off the counter in the kitchen and grab me a glass of water? I think I might take a nap before the maknae gets back and we have dinner."

 

"I'll gab them hyung." Cyril stood up and went to grab the aforementioned items from the kitchen.

 

"Do you need help getting to your room?" Kayla stood up and passed the man's crutches to him, helping him up to stand on them using an arm to support some of Yunho's weight for him.

 

"Thanks Kayla." Yunho smiled, his now perfect teeth showing, his hand staying for longer than it needed on the girl's arm. Kayla blushed watching the man swing his way back to his room.