Candor

Falling Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I.  "You're really not going to talk to him for the rest of your life? You do know that some ex's are still friends with each other right?"


Hayoung reprimanding as they were fetching their trays from the cafeteria counter. The other scratched her head along with an annoyed face and asked her to quiet down or schoolmates will hear her. The tall girl pursed her lips and shrugged, thinking of a way to get her friend to answer all her questions as she was obviously dodging them. She nudged her until she finally gave a response. "Our case is different. I'll end up embarrassing myself if I ever talk to him again. Ignore him, 'kay." Namjoo uttered in hushed tones.

 

It's been 6 months since their breakup and it seemed like Namjoo has gotten over it. Sure, she cried for a few days about it but she promised never to cry again, to be stronger and to just focus on her studies instead—and she did. Hayoung, however, thought it wasn't a good idea for her to have given up on their relationship all of a sudden, it did affect her in some way, as she was previously contented of seeing them happy together. In short, she was disappointed and couldn't just accept the fact. They were friends for long after all. After their breakup, she seemed to have drastically changed; emotionally, mentally and physically. She never talks to anyone anymore, her responses are always so minimal and she's usually and only by herself when Hayoung's not with her. She's gotten smarter and would solely care about her homeworks most of the time, she eats a lot but never gains weight, she puts her hair up in a ponytail and wears teashades instead of contact lenses often. In tv shows, girls would do anything to move on from this said physical appearance but Namjoo did the opposite–and she says it was okay. She didn't mind people calling her names, whether it'd be a compliment or insult.


"Wait, Namjoo. Uh, think of this. W-what if someone gains insterest in him, and approaches him and, they start liking each other?" The tall one was trying all her best to think of or say something that would trigger her friend to at least answer, or rather, talk more. Truth be told, she was running out of ideas. Her responses would always be, "We broke up, that means I don't care anymore right?"

 

Hayoung hissed, clicking her tongue even, when she heard a repetitive excuse as an answer. She felt like—well—she knew, that at times, she doesn't mean what she say. Hayoung took a gaze at her, and listened as she added a response.


"If you love someone, set him free, right? It's the past and now he has the freedom to do whatever he wants."


The tall girl gaped and stared blankly at her for a few milliseconds before asking if she just referenced that line from a movie—a small thing Namjoo hates the most after their breakup—and wondered why she would use such a line. The other nervously chuckled and shook her head. She mentioned it out of habit and couldn't think properly because the cafeteria was noisy, she blamed, and started eating the food on her tray as if she was inhaling them. Hayoung sighed softly and started eating anyway. She felt a little uncomfortable and in some way useless for not being able to help her friend anymore, unlike back then when she would usually rely on her and oblige. She has come to realize how big of an impact this has brought to her.

 

Just then, Hyuk and his friends were walking towards and near their table. They were talking to each other and laughing loudly. Namjoo coincidentally looked up as she heard a familiar laugh and saw him. She immediately flustered and looked away, she soughed after, thinking how stupid of her to react like that. Hayoung saw it though, and grinned just a tiny bit. The moment Hyuk and his friends passed by them, she called to him and he casually turned. Namjoo gasped in surprise and tried distracting herself, acting like she didn't care by eating more of her food.


"Hey, Hyuk, I was just wondering how you're doing?" The tall one asked. He chuckled and gave a slight shrug. He mentioned he's having a lot of fun and that he's alright even though school's boring nowadays. Hayoung could only nod slowly at his sarcastic remark. He glanced at Namjoo and teased, "Who are you with? New girl I haven't heard of nor seen yet?" He points at her and laughed a bit—along with his friends—and left. Namjoo's face felt heated and turned a blush of pink, of embarrassment that is. The taller felt bad and apologized to her immediately but she said she honestly didn't mind. But in the back of her head, she pictured the embarrassment if ever she tries to get back together with him and could only cringe. At that moment, Hayoung was watching as well. She didn't know what her friend was thinking nor would like to ask her about it even. She fathomed at how both parties have changed, that much. With a heavy sigh, she tried thinking of another distraction.


"Ah!" She exclaimed and pats her friend's hand gently. "Would you like me to introduce you to my boyfriend?" She asked. Namjoo's eyes sparkled all of a sudden as she beamed. She wanted to know about her boyfriend for a long time now, since Hayoung talks about him a lot. She felt excited, and it seemed this idea have worked getting Hyuk out of her mind. The taller girl smiled widely as she nodded, she's finall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter