A Slight Tension

Falling Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Around an hour had gone by and Sanghyuk came power-walking back to class going through the back door as if the teacher wasn't up in front. The woman, probably in her early 30's, makes a bat of her eyelashes before calling out to him.


Sanghyuk paused for a moment hinting that she'd successfully gain his attention, and the entire class went shifting their gazes towards him — like they usually do, this has already been a particular scenario quite a lot of times everyone will eventually get used to it. Namjoo was inside the class too but she didn't turn to his direction, and instead lowered her head as she gets ready to make a facepalm gesture.


“Where'd you gone off to this time, Mr. Han Sanghyuk?” The teacher asked as she made a tapping motion on the papers she was holding. She expected a really lame excuse and was sort of prepared to scold him for whatever he was to say. But Sanghyuk steadily lifted up what he had been holding almost the entirety of the morning.


“Oh yeah, I went to the faculty room to get my reviewers checked.” He smiled a bit.


The class suddenly come to a series of various reactions such as confusion, surprise, smitten for they probably hasn't seen him smile seriously before or even frustration because they'd known of him as one of the intelligent students and the reviewers would mean he'd been studying. Namjoo was not an exemption this time, she took a glance at him at a and indeed saw the reviewers in his hands. She knew ever since finishing grade school that her 20/20 vision had long worn off but she was so sure she spotted a teacher's signature indicating approval.


“Well, that's good news. I just hope next time you'll get to be a bit more formal with your teacher—and an apology, maybe?”


“Oh sure. I'm sorry.” Sanghyuk replied, earnestly pushing through not using any honorifics. It was out of habit, after all. He walked towards his desk and quickly sat down, scanning the reviewer he had just got approved of and smiling at it as if it's his pride.


Namjoo, on the other hand, rolled her eyes upon the sight.





Meanwhile, Jaehwan finally met up with Hayoung after their final classes prior to exams day. They even made a plan to have dinner tonight after a few hours of review.


“So, are you all fixed up for the exams? We better not fail or it's goodbye summer break.” Jaehwan asked his girlfriend as he offers to carry her bag. The latter took a deep breath, in and out, and gave a stern nod then smiled at him. He chuckled.


“Oh, and by the way, I just confirmed with my dad about the tickets to the amusement park we talked about. They already have it and I'm getting them tonight! So we really got to pass the exam.” He said, puffing up his cheeks like a kid who's desperate to go have a good summer break.


Jaehwan's parents have always been supportive of him and Hayoung, and in everything he does too. It was one of the reasons why he'd always thought he needed to be the reliable one among his closest friends. He sees himself as the more stable person when it comes to family, friendship and relationship. But at the same time, he was also childish and acts a bit spoiled in which case actually gets balanced by Hayoung, and her way of being mature in some situations. Thus, why other people would also look at them as a positive give-and-take kind of couple.


“Really!? That's great news. Now I know I'm really going to pass the exam.” She exclaimed as she insisted she'd carry her bag on her own. “I do wish Namjoo could come. I've been so worried about her lately.” She added.


Hayoung wasn't the only one who was worried about her, Jaehwan was too. Considering Sanghyuk's favor and repetitive warning about not getting involved with Mina's drama, he thought Namjoo had something to do with the older's possible schemes; plus the urge of wanting to tell the girls about Dawon too. But Jaehwan knew he needed good timing and the current situation wasn't calling for it, especially now that Hayoung is experiencing a mix of emotions.


“Then, invite her again. Let her know she's not the only persistent one around here.” He replied with a gentle smile.


Hayoung nodded. She suddenly then diverted to changing the topic as she remembered Jaehwan wanting to tell her something earlier that day and just as he was thinking, it wasn't the right time to be brought up. He stopped on one foot and continued with a nervous chuckle.





At the library in school, Sanghyuk arrived just in time for his last tutoring session with Mina before the exams. He quickly sat down, eager for it to end just when it started because he had indicated wanting to get home early that day.


“Well, let's get this over with then.” She responded with a muffled giggle as she gently grabbed Sanghyuk's compiled reviewers and moved it to her side of the table. She took a notice on the teacher's sign of approval and had to admit she was impressed. Sanghyuk shrugged and became silent as he watched her prop open her highlighter, keenly going over some words and phrases page to page. It was as if every turn of the papers urge him to talk about something but it just wouldn't come out of his mouth.


“Mina—”


“There.” She cut him off. “I've highlighted some important key points. That should help.” She continued as she closed the folder and scoots it over to his side of the table.


He nodded, going over some of the pages very quickly. He knew he wanted to tell her something and he knew he had to. He looked up and called to her, wishing to himself he wouldn't suddenly stammer. “Hey Mina. Could you not get involved with Namjoo? And with Jaehwan and Hayoung too?”


Mina looked back at him with her, probably fake, eyelashes batting in confusion.


“I agreed you'd be my tutor because you said you wanted less attention from guys. So let's keep it at just that.” He was so glad he didn't stammer because he really aimed to not appease as asking her. He was serious; it was more like an order. Mina couldn't help but give a smirk, a cunning and more curious smile.


“Did your friend—well, Jaehwan—tell you something?” She was the one to ask.


“No, and even if anyone of them did, I wouldn't care. Just don't get involved with them.” Sanghyuk imposed. He kind of wish the conversation would end there because he wouldn't want to say something that'd get him in a conflict. Mina was the kind of person to grab the opportunity whenever she had it, and he knew it interests her more when someone's obviously highly strung.


“Can I ask you a question? Just this one, answer it honestly and our session today ends immediately.” Mina went on interrogation mode.


Sanghyuk felt as if he was put up to a forced truth or dare g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter