Get Ready

Falling Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's note: Hello, my lovely readers and subscribers! Here is finally an update on this story but before you continue, a quick side note from me. As it has been months/years since I've last updated this and I am sincerely sorry about that, you might notice some changes in the way I write, such as the format, use of words and/or the way I name characters in further chapters so I hope you can understand that. I promise you that the main plot remains the same! Again, I'm sorry for the long overdue and please enjoy reading!
 


“I'm sorry for interrupting your conversation but I, uh...” She slowly paced towards them, smiling as innocent as she could. “Well, I accidentally overheard ‘Mina’ and assumed it was me so, I came to confirm and saw Hyuk.” She clarified. She bowed prior to politely introducing herself to Mrs. Han, swiftly brushing the pleats of her tiny skirt as if it wasn't ironed well enough and made a quick tug on the hem of her almost cropped uniform. Mrs. Han felt a bit of a bolt from the blue as if she hadn't realized such forced courtesy. She smiled back in the way the other gave a gentle smile, and shook hands.


There was almost a minute of awkward silence until Sanghyuk tried to hint the senior to leave them to their interrupted conversation. He didn't even bother introducing her as his tutor and for a reason that he had in his mind, he didn't spoke a word at all. Mina must've gotten the clue and quickly told them she was called to the principal's office for school matters. He bowed his head just a bit as she finally left them alone and sauntered away.


“So, she's Mina. Your senior tutor that you chose over Namjoo, and didn't tell me.” The older seemed to have figured it out and admitted she was being (just a little) sarcastic. Sanghyuk shot a glint at his own mother but quickly shifted his gaze with a roll of his eyes as he proceeds to ask her to go home.


Her mom could only chuckle. “But no, really baby, is she the reason—”


“Mom no, it's not—ugh—just go home please? I don't want to have this weird discussion right now.” He cut her off with a small plead. They both continued going down the stairs, and the older woman couldn't stop herself from giggling.






“There you are! I've been looking all over for you.” Hayoung exclaimed as if she was scheduled to be the hallway monitor that day. She walked pass lockers towards Namjoo who she easily spotted after looking for almost thirty minutes. The hallway wasn't even that steep nor was Namjoo too far, but Hayoung called out to her in a surprisingly vast voice. If it weren't for breaktime, teachers would've already scolded her. (Actually, she would've been scolded either way but she was lucky there were no faculty members present at the situation)


“Why are you shouting?” Namjoo had to make sure the important question gets answered. But her friend merely smiled in response. Namjoo gave a shook of her head and the taller girl told her she was looking for her for an hour. Which was a bit of an exaggeration, Namjoo knew so she didn't buy it, of course.


“So, where were you?” She asked back.


“I finished a few reads, just outside. Since I needed a quiet time for review, I thought it'd be better to look for a less crowdy place.” She answered without a hint of buckle, even making a point how libraries have started being uncomfortable to stay at. Hayoung suddenly scoffed and furtively mentioned Sanghyuk. “It's because of him, right?”


Upon hearing the name, Namjoo didn't respond and suddenly kept a slow pace as she walked pass the hallway. Her friend urged herself not to laugh as she went along with it. Without even having second thoughts, she continued talking about a rumor she heard earlier that day.


“So I heard, from teachers, that Hyuk might get suspended the next time he does something—”


“—stupid? I'm sure he'd be able to find a way to get himself in trouble again.” Namjoo cut her off as she started responding again. She put up a grimaced face, the thought of re-imagining the scenario in that enclosed room with him resurfaced. Hayoung raised a brow and shrugged implying an end to the topic, but Namjoo suddenly had something to say.


“Speaking of Sanghyuk—”


She hesitated at first. She felt gobbled up with words she wanted to tell her friend. Her feet felt like they froze as she almost couldn't move. But she knew she could trust her, and that she needed to be more confident. She shifted to take a good look at Hayoung who was probably an inch or two taller than her, her body like a robot. It made the other laugh, as well as curious at what she was about to say.


“I, uh, talked to his mom earlier when I was outside. She recognized me and we got to talk for awhile.”


It must've been a really good news for Hayoung as her initial reaction was to immediately give a big pat on the other's shoulder. Along with a grin, she asked what they talked about. Namjoo carefully initiated the details and stopped midway when she mentioned something about Mrs. Han witnessing Sanghyuk's recent changes. Her face formed a frown all of a sudden, as if some realization were hitting her and that she somehow couldn't sink that in. Hayoung tilted her head slightly and snapped her out of trance. “Hey, Namjoo?”


The latter gave a few flutter of her eyelashes as she got back from spacing out for a second or two. She half-smiled at Hayoung and made a gentle shake of her head. She fast-forward to telling her Sanghyuk's mom asking her to look after him. As the tall one nodded slowly, understanding her story, she wondered and worried. She went with a quick purse of her lips before asking if she was willing to do it [take care of Sanghyuk] for the sake of Mrs. Han.


“Of course, this time it's for her sake.” Namjoo smiled a bit.





At the library, Sanghyuk sauntered towards the study area to look for Mina. He arrived minutes late to his tutoring session but he never really bothered to look at the time sometimes. He turned a corner and saw her sitting at their usual table while writing down some notes for their review materials.


“Is this your favorite table or something?” He asked as he casted a shadow upon the busy bee.


Mina replied a hummed giggle. “Well, it is a special table since we met here. Don't you think so?” She looked up at the tall form in front of her and before he could even respond, she ushered him to take a seat as she slid a book toward him so he could start reviewing. “Besides, you're late so I get to decide where we sit.” She grinned.


Sanghyuk gave a small shrug and sat down, reaching to the book she gave him and started pulling out his notes and pen. He didn't look at her at all and went with continuing his review materials.


Mina raised a brow in curiosity. “Why were you late then? Would you tell me?”


“I got caught up with teacher pep talk, and I had to talk to Jaehwan too.” He answered, still not looking at her as he continued writing on a page that was already half-filled ahead of time, then he turned to another page of the book and scanned the highlights he needed to take notes of and review about.


“Jaehwan—” She tilted her head and tapped her pen on the table. “He's Namjoo's best friend's boyfriend, am I right?”


To a bit of a surprise, it made him shift a glance up at her. She instantly smiled knowing she finally caught his attention. He paused in writing as he gave a hesitant nod, wondering why she asked. She shook her head in contrast, and Sanghyuk just went back to jotting down notes. He flipped the page of the book and scanned it again, and a few more times.


Mina made sure she wasn't out of topics to talk to him about. She put down her pen, leaned a bit forward and rested her chin on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter