five

Eyes on Me

It was pouring when I arrived at school and my family's driver immediately shot me a guilty look. "I'm sorry, Areum. I think I left the umbrella at home."

Waving a dismissive hand, I threw an assuring smile in reply. "It's okay, Mr. Ahn. I'll be fine." I took off my blazer and draped it over my head before making a run towards the school building.

The cold wind was blowing harshly and I was drenched seconds after, making me immediately regret the decision I made earlier. The raindrops still managed to seep through the thick material of my blazer, wetting my hair too. But the worst thing was I was still a few metres away from the building.

All I thought was how someone would come to save this damsel in distress like in those dramas. Cliche but the timing is always ridiculously right. 

Reality is harsh. 

 

Well, sometimesit decided to let me off the hook today.

It was as if the sun suddenly came out from behind the grey clouds and the rain stopped - literally - when someone fell in step beside me, shielding me from the heavy raindrops.

I looked up to see the last person I imagined it would be. 

"What are you doing in the rain like this?" 

To say I was shocked was an understatement. 

"I don't have an umbrella," I stated dumbly. 

"Guess I arrived just in time." He pulled me closer under the small umbrella, his other hand securely wrapped around my shoulders. "You're lucky today." 

We walked in a fast pace until we reached the entrance of the main bulding. I mentally sighed at the sudden loss of warmth when he removed his hand to close the umbrella, shaking it a little to get rid of the water. "Don't ever go around without this. You might get sick." I simply nodded in reply.

"Do you have one in your locker?" 

"No." 

He sighed and opened his mouth to say something to just close it back.

"What?"

"It's small, light and foldable," he suddenly pushed the neatly folded umbrella into my hand before casually stepping inside. 

"Y-yah-" 

"Go get changed quickly if you don't want to catch a cold," he said one last time before disappearing among the crowd of students in the hallway. 

I was still dumbly watching the male's fading backview when a hand loosely hung itself around my neck. 

"This afternoon's headline: is Kang Areum finally opening up to Lee Junho?" 

I turn to glare at the face inches away from mine. "You should really go and join the school's paper, Kibum. You'll be a great editor." Kibum merely raised his eyebrow. "Gee, thanks?"

"Anyway," I hit his arm with the umbrella and he yelps in pain. "Ow! What was that for?!" "That's for not telling a soul about my job like you promised."

His face turns red, clearly flustered with my statement. "I-I didn't tell anyone, really!" It was then my turn to merely raise my eyebrow at him.

"I swear I'm going to kill someone today," he mutters. "Gosh, I clearly told him to keep it a secret!" 

I broke into laughters before patting his shoulder, "I gotta go, see you in class!" My smile faltered once I caught up with my friends at Howon's locker.

"What's with the sour face?" 

Jiyoung puckers her lips at the drenched boy between her and Howon.

"Had your shower on your way to school just now?"

"Apparently, you did too," Woohyun retorted, pointing at my wet uniform.

"I didn't have an umbrella," I pause, realizing there's one in my hand. "At first." 

"Point taken. Come on, Woohyun, you should get changed. You too, Areum." Howon quickly drags the boy towards the locker room.

I didn't even open my mouth yet as Jiyoung fired away with the explaination. "He held an umbrella for his girlfriend and that girl suddenly decided to run away with it. Leaving. Him. In. The. Rain."

She huffs angrily, "That idiot was too shocked to even save his from the rain. He was lucky I was there in time."

"Are you sure it's not a joke? You know how couples these days-"

"She left the umbrella by the entrance! That is totally a joke," Jiyoung crosses her arms. 

I purse my lips, being rendered speechless. "That's quite.. something." 

"I'm going to tell Woohyun to break up with her." 

She looked so serious; I knew right away she's going to do it for real. 

I pull her hand as I lead both of us towards the girls' locker room. "There's a possibility that he might not listen." "Well, at least, it'll make him think," Jiyoung huffs. "Let's not talk about this, I'm getting a headache." I scoff, watching the girl massage her temple as I open the locker room's door. 

"...he's really an idiot...his level of intelligence doesn't suit his face..." 

"I told you to leave him long ago, didn't I?" 

"I'll do it soon, I just want to live off his money a bit more."

Laughter erupts soon after and I know all too well who the voice belongs to.  

I signalled Jiyoung who's about to blow up to wait outside but she marched past me instead. "Quick, get changed." The laughter dies off as we approach the small group. One of them immediately turned pale at the sight of us. I wave a hand at Woohyun's girlfriend, "Hey." She obviously forced herself to return the greet with an equally forced smile. "We should be going, don't we?" They scrambled to their feet, nervously glancing at us as they left the room.

Both of us sighed after we were left alone in the room. 

"Should we tell him?"

"I don't know." 

 

I couldn't stay still during class until the bell for lunch rang, receiving a weird look from Woohyun himself.

"What? Did you get a call from your agency again?" 

I shook my head. "You're not feeling well?" "No," I squeaked out. "I need to tell you something." The boy lifts his eyebrow as if telling me to go on. "But, we need to talk in private." If it's even possible, he lifted his eyebrow even higher. 

"Areum, you're being super weird, you know that?" 

"But, it's important!" I cried out. He pulls me up from my chair, half dragging me towards the cafeteria. "Tell me after we get lunch then, I'm starving. Must be the rain this morning. You're cool with that, pretty?" I wave a dismissive hand, "Fine." 

I opted for the lightest lunch set, a burger and fries and went to join my other two friend at our usual table. "Did you tell him yet?" Jiyoung asks as I sit beside her. "No, I'll talk to him after this. Does he know?" I point a finger at Howon who's busy stuffing his face and she nods. 

"I think Howon should tell him instead. You know, have a guy talk?" 

"Tell who what?" 

"Nothing," the three of us replied. Woohyun sends a wary glance at us as he settles down. "What is it? Spill it," he points his chosptick at us.

"I'll tell you after this. Eat first, you need a lot of energy to digest the story later." He grumbles but eventually scoops a spoonful of rice into his mouth. 

"Yo, over here!" Howon suddenly waves over with a mouthful, urging that person to come closer.

"Why him out of all people," Jiyoung mutters, facepalming herself. "God, help me." I look up to see Minho and Joonmyun approaching our table with their tray.

"Hey, everyone," Joonmyun cheerfully greets, taking a seat beside Howon while Minho chooses to sit beside me, grinning. "Hey, friend!"

"Is there something wrong, Ji?" Howon asks, downing his glass of water. The girl beside me turns crimson red, "N-no. I'll be right back."

Once she left to the toilet, Woohyun and I broke into laughters. "She still couldn't get over it," Woohyun wheezed. 

Howon who finally gets the joke, starts laughing, leaving the other two males in the dark.

"Jiyoung thinks you might see her as a weirdo after the purse incident," I finally explained after our laughing bunch has calmed down.

Joonmyun blinks before frantically waving his hand in denial, "Not at all, why would I do that?"

"Exactly," I click my tongue. "Please tell her that." 

"I still don't understand what's going on," Minho grunts. "Anyway, Kibum told me someone had a romantic rain date this morning." I literally froze in my seat, Kibum did not tell him that. The others whistled at his statement and Joonmyun just had to add more fire. "I saw them too," he says, sending a knowing smile at me.

"Was it me?" Woohyun chimes in.

"I don't think being left in the rain is romantic." Howon yelps as he tries to avoid Woohyun's punch. 

"Why are you blushing?"

I quickly place both hands on my face at the boys' sudden claim, "Am not!"

Woohyun's jaw fell open instantly as he pointed his finger at me, "It was you, wasn't it? Yah, you're dating someone and you don't even tell me?" "I'm not dating anyone! God, Minho," I glare at him and he just shrugs, trying to play innocent.

"How come they know and we don't?" 

"Woohyun-" 

"Bro, your girlfriend's here," Howon voices out suddenly. Our heads whipped around to see her standing a few metres away, nervously looking at us. "Woohyun, can I talk to you in private?" 

The said boy slowly nods, "Yeah, sure." 

"W-wait! Woohyun, I told you earlier we need to talk," I blurt out as he stands up. "Now?" I nod my head eagerly. "Can't it wait?" "No, it's really important," from the edge of my eye, I saw her impatiently tapping her legs.

The boy sighs, "I won't be long. We'll talk after this, okay?"

"B-but-" 

I sighed again when he left with his girlfriend, hand in hand. 

Howon gave me a sweet smile, "Finish your food, hm?" I weakly shook my head.

Jiyoung who finally returned, grabs my shoulder, "What happened? What does that witch wants from him?" "I don't know, she wanted to talk to him." She slumps down on her chair, sighing. "I don't have a good feeling about this."

I stood up, taking my leftovers with me, "I think I'll wait for him at class."

"Wanna go somewhere today after school?" Howon offers.

"I thought we have a group discussion for History after school?" Joonmyun chimes in, making my bestfriend groan. I chuckle, "It's okay, I have work after school anyway." Jiyoung pouts, "Have fun later. Don't worry too much, okay?" I give her an okay sign before leaving the cafeteria. 

Minho caught up with me on my way to class, "Hey, Areum?"

"Weren't you still eating-" I point a finger at him, then the cafeteria and back again at him. "Never mind. What is it?"

"Do you need a ride to your workplace later?"

I blink owlishly, "No- I mean, yes, I could use a ride. Why?" He grins. "Cool, I'll send you there then."

"B-but-"

"Sorry, I need to drop by somewhere before class starts. See you after school at my car, alright?" With that, he runs off towards the stairs to the second level, leaving me dumbfounded. 

Oh well, maybe I could get used to another friend who's willing to be my driver. 

I step into my class to see Woohyun is already at his seat. "Told you I won't be long," he stated once I took a seat at my place. He swiftly grabs my leftover food and takes a big bite from it. 

"What did she say?"

He shrugs, "She said sorry about this morning's incident, it was a joke. We're meeting up later after school because she wants to make it up to me." 

"And you're not mad anymore?" I said, a bit exasperated.

"No. She said sorry, didn't she?" Woohyun finishes the last bite and crumples the paper wrap before tossing it into the rubbish can. Someone screamed, "Nice shot!" and Woohyun hollered back a "Wanna see who can throw more?" 

"Wait, what is it you want to talk about just now?" 

I was about to tell him but thought better of it, "I..forgot what I'm supposed to tell you." 

Woohyun frowns but eventually shrugs it off. "You're acting very weird today. Whatever, just tell me once you remember it." He then moves to the back of the class to join the other boys.

 

I sighed again for the umpteenth time. 


 

Sorry I took so long for an update :( Been busy with university life (didn't know it would be so hard lol)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the update and do tell me what you think, munchkins!