three

Eyes on Me

"Tell me again, what am I doing here?"

"To watch the game, of course."

"The more, the merrier," Howon chimes in rather happily.

We are sitting among the growing crowd on the bleachers, a drink in a hand and a hotdog in another. At freaking 8.30 A.M. I should be getting my extra beauty sleep now but these two brats think it's better to drag me out of bed to school for the game.

Our little gang is currently incomplete; Jiyoung has to help at her mother's famous Oriental restaurant. I bet that brat made that excuse up so she doesn't have to suffer along.

I stifle a yawn, why must soccer games start so early?

Woohyun suddenly started jumping in his seat, "Oh, oh, it's starting!"

The two teams marched in to the middle of the field and the national anthem was played followed by both school's song led by a junior named Byun Baekhyun. He kinda reminds me of Kim Jongin; cute.

A bald man - the referee - blows the whistle, signalling the start of the game. Everyone started to roar in favor of the team they're rooting for. A large group of girls in the front row frantically waved their boards in the air, shouting "Oppa! Go oppa! We love you oppa!" Girls.

I nudge Woohyun (since Howon seems really absorbed in the game), "Which one is Minho?" That prick didn't even spare me a glance, "The number one player." I huffed out a heavy breath and turned back to the game. 

That very moment, a player with the number 01 written on his back received the ball and started running towards the goal, being tackled by a few of the opponent players on his way. 01, however, managed to dodge the attacks swiftly and beautifully. He passed the ball to his teammate near the goal post who then passed it back to him, his front leg meeting the ball and..

"GOAAALLL!!!"

Everyone howled, some in victory and some others in pure bitterness. 

The referee suddenly shot his hand up and ran to the crowd near the goal post, mouthing some words.

"Shouldn't the score now be one against zero?" I voice out, pointing at the still score board. Howon strains his neck to have a better look at the situation below, "Yes, but I think there's a foul."

My two bestfriend then growled out loud in frustration when it turned out to be an offside kick which I don't even know what is.

"As long as it goes into the goal, shouldn't it count as one? What kind of game is this?" 

"This is soccer for you," both of them shot back solemnly.

The situation turns even gloomier when a certain Jeon Jungkook from the opponent team scores a goal a few seconds before the referee signals for half time. 

"Oh, come on! Are we seriously going to lose to a performing arts school?" Someone voices out angrily. "I thought we're better than those dancing kids!"

I felt the people around me tense at the mere mention of 'lose'. "Are you going to eat that?" Woohyun eyes my half eaten hotdog and I know right away what's on his mind. "Don't," I warn him, "we're supposed to stay out of trouble."

The same voice suddenly yelped and we turned to see a male looking like a drenched puppy with water trickling down his face. "Shut it, you're so noisy," Junho hissed from behind the poor boy, noticeably holding an empty bottle. Woohyun quickly nudges me once we turn back to the front, "He obviously did that to get your attention." I simply laughed it off. 

Lee Junho openly told me in our first year of high school that he liked me and I boldly rejected him right away; the feeling was not mutual. I guess he didn't take it well since he kept on showing his affection towards me through his 'bad boy' actions ever since. Just like he did just now. It's sad to admit that his childish antics still turns me off eventhough he has the looks like the nation's beloved hottie, Rain.  

Howon laughs along, "At least, someone saved us the trouble." 

Soon, the second half of the game started with the opponent team leading and ours keeping up. Both team were endlessly attacking and defending and running after that one ball which somehow at some point looked ridiculous to me. But the absurdity washed off when our team - finally, thank goodness - scored a goal. I was actually jumping in joy along with Howon and Woohyun after it happened. 

So now, all our team has to do is beat the rival team and we'll be declared as the champion of this season in 20 minutes. For six year in a row, if I must add. 

Tension starts to fill in the air again. Both team's guard are up, realizing that one single mistake might bring them to the ground. Everyone is so damn serious with their eyes locked on the field that I have to force myself to focus on the game. 

"Oh, that ," Woohyun comments when one of our main player, Kim Himchan has to switch with Lee Gikwang after he injured himself. Howon clicks his tongue disapprovingly before nodding to himself.

"I just want it to end quickly. The stress is killing me," I mutter darkly.

 

My two bestfriend were still talking about the game even after we stepped into Jiyoung's mother's restaurant for lunch. I, myself, couldn't get rid of an image of a group of boys holding their captain in the air, the latter proudly raising their newly won trophy from the back of my head. 

The funny thing was I've never been that frustrated while watching a game. Ever. 

The game was about to end in 10 minutes and the score was still one against one. Both team was trying their best to defend their goal and score another at the same time. I almost pulled my hair out of frustration; the game was going to end in minutes but the players were still ridiculously slow.

"I'm not going to watch this anymore," I grumbled. "They're taking too much time kicking the damn ball around." 

I took out my phone and was about to plug in my earphone when everyone suddenly hollered.

"What is it? What happened?"

"Minho tried to attack and a kid just had to headbutt it. But the headbutt was pretty awesome." 

At that time, it really seemed like the game was going to end with a draw. 

But, the table turned at the very last minute; Gikwang shot from the left side of the goal post only for it to be a fake shot. The ball flew to the famous babyface boy, Yoseob and he kicked it straight into the goal.

Game over.

"Okay, stop your soccer talk. You're here to eat," Jiyoung says sulkily as she sets our drink on the table. "And talk," Woohyun replied nonchalantly. She rolls her eyes and takes a seat beside me.

"It's kinda fun actually," I confess.

Jiyoung gawks, "Seriously, Areum?" "And boring at the same time." She let out a relieved sigh, "I really thought you turned into a soccer fan after a game." 

"Who's up for a baseball game? I can get us tickets," Howon said and both I and Woohyun quickly put up our hands. 

"Not me definitely."

"Oh, come on," I whine while tugging at Jiyoung's sleeve. "I swear baseball's fun!" Before she could reply, the two guys mimicked her famous line of 'sports do not spell fun' and we broke into laughters.

Jiyoung immediately went into her waiter mode when a group of boys came through the door. "Hi, welcome!"

Among them, Himchan made his way to the front of the group with a limp to greet his classmate. "We won, Jiyoung!" 

"I heard. Congrats on your win, by the way, " she replied before ushering them to a long table. Some of the seniors on the soccer team waved at us, acknowledging our presence but Minho decided to stop by at our table.

"Out to celebrate, captain?" Howon asks and the male nods happily, fist bumping the former and Woohyun. "Coach's buying us Chinese food." 

He suddenly turns to me with a curious look, "Is your offer still on?" 

"What-"

"Of course!" 

I blinked in confusion. "She'll buy the whole ice cream store for you, just as she promised," Woohyun sends me a look.

"Oh," I drawl, finally remembering the promise I didn't even make, "yeah, sure, we can get ice cream after this." "Great," he smiles before leaving to his table.

"Nam Woohyun," I breathed out.

"You promised."

"I didn't. You promised on behalf of me."  

"Either way, you're going for ice cream." 

 


 

 

Frankly, it's really hard to write this chap and I'm not really satisfied with it. But, do tell me what you think of this chap, lovelies! Comment awayyy

p/s: Is there any Inspirits reading? OMG NAMU'S SOLO ALBUM IS SO GOOD I LOVE THE WHOLE ALBUM IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL I listened to Scent a lot since sunggyu said he has been listening to it WOOGYU and myungsoo was there when woohyun filmed the mv WOOSOO :'')