four

Eyes on Me

It finally dawned on me that Woohyun was trying to set me up for only-god-knows-what and I shot him a death glare the entire time while waiting for Minho. 

Well, I don't mind treating him to ice cream or even going with just the two of us but surely not in this manner.

"Chill, you are just going to get ice cream. Nothing could go wrong."

"I'm totally going to kill you if something does go wrong," I hissed just before Minho came to our table with a chirpy let's go. Woohyun merely threw me a smug smile in reply.

"You guys coming? It's on me," I casually ask, secretly hoping they'll say yes to free treats. 

"Oh, sorry, my mom wants me home now. I wonder what's up," Howon looks at his phone with much interest and quietly leaves. But I didn't miss the suspicious look he shared with Woohyun before that. 

"Hello? Hey babe! You want to meet up? Now?" Woohyun suddenly stands up and leaves in a hurry, not forgetting to wave at us before exiting the restaurant. 

I turn to the only one left, secretly pleading with my eyes. Jiyoung smiles apologetically. "Sorry, I promised my mom to help her today."

Did my friends just reject a rare free treat from me?

"Oh, forget it," I mutter as I leave my seat. "Come on, Minho." I heard Jiyoung's loud giggle as we stepped out the door, "Have fun!"

"Sure," I drawl and Minho raises an eyebrow at me. "Did you say something?" I simply shake my head and he leads the way to a black sleek and shiny car.

"Wow, nice car you have here." I pause before adding a cautious I mean it, really

"Technically, it's not really mine but I'm using it," he shrugs before opening the passenger door for me. I thank him, slipping into the vehicle. He rushes off to the driver side and the next second, we're already on the road. 

"You know, I'm really jealous of high school students who actually get to drive." Minho casts a glance at me, "Really? Why?"

"Because I can't. My dad doesn't let me." It seemed like it needed some explaination so I continued. "My dad is just not confident when it comes to me and cars." 

He slowly nods, "But there must be a reason, right?" 

"I wrecked his precious car once. Real bad." 

The boy winced, "No wonder." I hummed in reply. "So, which ice cream shop are we heading to?"

"Your call, captain."

I didn't really hear his reply as my phone suddenly buzzed continuously, indicating incoming multiple messages.

From: Idiot tree
Thank me later.

From: Hoho won
It was fully Woohyun's idea, I'm a victim too here. I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO GO HOME EARLY MY CLINGY COUSIN SUNGJONG IS THERE 

From: Jiyoung
Asdfghjkl tell me EVERYTHING tonight 

"Seriously?" I muttered.

I had to remind Howon the last time he wasn't home when his cousin came for a visit, it didn't end well. Sungjong decided to sleep over to 'make up' for the time they should've spend together and we ended up having to hear Howon rant on how Sungjong was still really clingy even as a high school student for a freaking week. I didn't reply Woohyun's message on purpose (he'll surely sulk when he finds out) and replied Jiyoung's with a simple yeah, sure.

By the time I looked up from my phone, Minho had parked his car near a Baskin Robbins shop. "Wait here," he says before rushing out to my side and opens the door for me.

"You don't have to do this, you know," I told him.

"I insist."

I had to shake off the growing butterflies in my stomach as I stepped out of the vehicle; it's silly how a simple action could affect me. 

"Don't guys normally do that?"

"Then, I reckon Woohyun and Howon are not normal guys." 

He chuckles and leads the way towards the shop. The door bell rings as we step in. "Welcome to Baskin Robbins!" A very cheerful worker greets us once we approach the ice cream display counter but his face suddenly turns pale at the sight of us.

"Taemin?" 

The worker blushes furiously, "H-hey, hyung." 

Minho looks remotely confused. "What are you doing here?" The younger looking boy shot his hands up in a pleading manner, "I just need some extra pocket money. Please don't tell my parents! Please?" Minho sighs defeatedly. I guess Taemin's puppy eyes is too much for Minho too. "Fine, but I'm not promising you anything."

"Thank you so much, hyung! I owe you one!" Taemin beams and it slowly falters upon realizing something. "You didn't tell me that you have a girlfriend."

"That's because I don't, she's a friend." Minho motions to the worker, "Areum, this is my neighbour, Taemin."

I throw a smile at Taemin which he happily returns, "So, what can I get for these friends?" 

 

We were sitting at our table quietly eating our ice cream when Minho nudged me, looking a bit curious.

"Just a quick question," he blurts out.

"Shoot."

"Are you in some kind of romantic relationship with anyone?"

I stopped midway from scooping some ice cream into my mouth. What

I muster the blankest look on my face and reply, "No."

"Not even with Woohyun?"

I turned to face him so quick that it caught him off guard, his spoon almost slipped out of his hold. "Ew, no! Where did you get that?" Minho suddenly starts laughing, "Relax, it was just a joke." 

I shuddered, "I would never date him. I knew him ever since we were in diapers and he's just.. no." 

Minho chuckles, "He's not that bad." He pauses to put down his spoon. "Anyway, sorry about Taemin earlier." I wave a dismissive hand at him rather awkwardly and scoops some chocolate ice cream into my mouth. "He kinda reminds me of myself actually. I'm working behind my parents' back too." 

The boy nods, "Yeah, I heard from Kibum. He showed me your pictures." 

I grumbled inwardly; I knew Kibum wouldn't keep his mouth shut about this even after he promised he wouldn't tell a soul - not even his bestfriend.

"You looked great by the way," he states along with a thumbs up. "Really?" I squeaked out, feeling a bit embarrassed. He hums as he finishes his strawberry ice cream, "Yeah, the concept goes well with you."

I quickly finish mine, feeling my cheeks getting a bit warm. My bestfriends compliment my work sometimes, Kibum gives critiques all the time but getting a comment from someone I barely know is a first. And a compliment at that. 

Minho went to throw our empty cups and came back, "Come on, I'll send you home." I was about to decline his offer but he cut me off to it, "I don't take a no." He even raised his eyebrow for effect and I immediately gave in.

The trip back home was quiet but it was a comfortable one. He knew my neighbourhood so it wasn't hard giving him directions to my house.

"We're here," Minho says as his car comes to a halt in front of my house. I smiled, "So, congratulations on your win again and thanks for the ride." 

"That's what friends do right, giving free rides? I mean, we're friends, aren't we?" 

I paused midway from slipping out of the car, "Yeah, of course, silly. I know we don't talk much but still." Minho rolls down the window after I close the door, grinning. "See you at school," he waves which I return before driving off. 

What a day.

I stroll past the gate and walk up the small hill towards the house while humming to myself. 

"Noona!" The air was harshly forced out of me when an eight year old boy jumped onto me to give me a quick hug before jumping back down. "I missed you!"

I bit back a grin, "Aw, you did? Me too." I bend down to give him a proper bone crushing hug after three days of being apart. 

"So, how was Sydney?" Minhyuk pouts instantly after pulling off the hug. "It was boring. Omma and appa were busy and I had no one to play with. But the food was good especially the fish and chips-" I didn't really hear what my younger brother had to say next about the food because he won't stop talking about it once he started. 

"...and the seafood tasted great too. Oh, the crabs!"

"Minhyuk-"

"You have to taste the crab someday-"

"Kang Minhyuk."

"Okay," he smiles sheepishly. "Sorry, noona."

I pinch his chubby cheeks before putting a hand around his shoulder, "Okay, let's get inside and then you can tell me more." 


 

Yeay new chapter's up!

Do tell me what you think of it ;) 

I'm starting class at my university tomorrow and I might be a bit busy and all but I'll try to update regularly! 

Thank you for reading, lovelies!