two

Eyes on Me

"What are you looking at?"

"Huh?" I turned to Woohyun to see him smirking.

"Someone's falling in love," he sang as he took another sandwich. "Am not! Hey, that's mine!" I grabbed the food back and the male pouted, clutching his stomach. "But, I'm still hungry." I rolled my eyes before waving to a lone student on the basketball court.

"Hey, Howon! Can this puppy have some of your food?" The male hollered back a yes and Woohyun happily popped a piece of kimbap into his mouth. I glanced back to the spot I saw Minho just now; he's no longer there.

"I noticed that you've been eyeing Minho since morning," Woohyun blurted out with a mouthful. I sip on my strawberry milk, raising an eyebrow at him. "Don't deny it." "Well, he has something you don't." I tilt my head towards him and grin.

"Yah! I'm not that short!"

I laughed, "I'm not eyeing him, you idiot. I'm just.. starting to notice him being around, that's all." He gave me a wary look before continuing to munch on his kimbap loudly.

"Yah, yah, if Joonmyun comes here, tell him you haven't seen me," Jiyoung suddenly comes running past us and hides behind the bush by the steps. Woohyun shot me a confused look and I just shrugged.

Joonmyun comes trailing after, "Have you seen Jiyoung?"

Both of us shook our head innocently. "Is there something wrong?" He holds out a familiar black purse, "Can you - um - return this to her? She dropped it just now." "Yeah, sure," I took the purse and the male quickly excused himself after fist bumping Woohyun.

We waited until Joonmyun disappeared from our sight and called Jiyoung out. "What was that?"

"That creep kept following me everywhere I go! Out of nowhere!" Jiyoung replied, pulling out leaves from her hair.

Woohyun snorts, "That creep actually came to return your purse just now." She froze and instantly checked her pockets. "I might've dropped it somewhere. Oh my god, this is so embarrassing! He must think I'm a freak now!"

"That's why there's a thing called asking before you assume."

"You're not helping at all, Areum."

"Calm down, Joonmyun's a nice guy. He'll spare you from any negative impressions," I pull her to sit next to me and pass her a sandwich. "No," Woohyun drawls, "he definitely thinks you're a freak now- ow!" 

"Oh, that reminds me. I heard Mrs Woo is looking for you two," Jiyoung says, finally letting go of Woohyun's ear and the poor male quickly rubs it.

"We've been avoiding her since morning actually."

"You can't avoid her forever."

"Thank you very much for reminding." 

Howon, who finally decided to end his lunch game, trudges towards us and slumps down with a heavy pant just a step lower than ours. I wordlessly pass his water bottle to him. 

Howon is a sports maniac. Everyone knows that since he got that very own title effortlessly. But only few knows; if he went to school early to play, skipped his lunch just to play, something is surely bothering him. 

I saw him running around on the basketball court this morning and when he said he was going to the court after we bought our lunch, it just confirmed my suspicions. 

I elbowed Woohyun, motioning to the troubled looking boy. He leans in and whispers, "It's the usual." 

I frown, "Is it really bad this time?" The male only shrugs in reply.

Jiyoung didn't react throughout my exchange with Woohyun, I take it she already knew being Howon's only classmate between the three of us. 

Howon's conflict started earlier this year after he told his parents that he was not planning to study business let alone to handle his family's company one day. It caused an uproar in the family. Seeing him like this, the topic must've been brought up yesterday and it didn't end pleasantly as usual.

The said boy suddenly chuckles, "I'm fine. Stop talking about me behind my back." He downs the last drop of his water before adding, "You should be thinking how to save your from Mrs Woo." That brought me back to the reality and I sighed heavily. 

"Let's just hope she's not lurking around the hallway for us." 

We parted ways early from lunch; mainly because I and Woohyun needed to avoid a certain someone and Howon wanted to change out of his sweat stained shirt (that didn't stop me from giving him a quick consoling hug). Jiyoung gloomily opted to return to class and 'revise'.

"Clear?"

Woohyun was hunched, peeking into the hallway as I stood close behind him. The other students walked past, openly directing weird stares at us.

"Clear."

We step into the bustling hallway with a relieved look. "Don't you think we panicked over nothing? It's not like she's out to kill us." Woohyun shivers lightly, "From the way I heard, she is." 

"You think so?" 

Woohyun hums in agreement and my eyes grow wide. 

"Because I really would like to strangle these certain brats."

The excitement in the hallway dies as the students inch away from us, sensing the growing tension from behind us. 

"I take it she was really lurking in the hallway?" 

"Ugh, Woohyun, I really hate that big mouth of yours." 

We timidly turn around to meet Mrs Woo's stern gaze. "Follow me." 

We followed her all the way to the teacher's room and she plopped down on her seat, massaging her temple.

"Where did you two go yesterday?"

Her question went unanswered, we knew better than to tell her the answer she wanted. She sighs heavily, "Oh, forget it."

"You'll be cleaning the main hallway squeaky and clean. I want the floor swept, dusy cleared, lockers nicely organized and the display rack dust-free, clear?" We nodded solemnly.

"I'm going to assign the head prefect to watch over you two. Don't even think of getting off or you'll be helping the janitor clean the toilets tomorrow." I cringe inwardly. She hands a red slip to each of us before giving us an almost pleading look. "I really hope this will be the very last time ever. I don't want to see your faces ever again." As soon as we were dismissed, we quickly bowed before practically running out of the room.

Woohyun groans, "I prefer detention though." 

As much as I despise cleaning a public property which has chewing gums literally everywhere, I have something else in mind. "Woohyun, who is this head prefect?"

He gave me an are-you-serious look. "Did you ever pay attention during assembly?" "Of course I did!" I retorted. "While sleeping soundly throughout the whole assembly?" I grin sheepishly.

"Why are you curious all of a sudden?" He snaps his finger, "Ah, you want to bribe him, don't you? Nope, he's not going to fall for it." I rolled my eyes. "Wasn't planning to. Just tell me already." 

He winks, "You'll see." 

 

 

Choi Minho? 

Are you kidding me? He's head prefect? 

I curse myself silently for being an obnoxious ignorant all this while.

This is so embarrassing; I bumped into him in a very unfeminine manner yesterday and today he's going to watch us doing social works. 

What a great way to give good impressions. 

"What did you guys do this time?" 

Woohyun waves a dismissive hand as he grabs a broom, "You don't want to know." I took a clean cloth before quietly starting to wipe the god-knows-how-much medals and trophies on the display rack.

We worked in silence with Minho watching over us for about an hour and a half. The funny thing is during that period, we only managed to clean half of the place. Woohyun who was sweeping while humming to a tune is now dragging his broomstick mindlessly. 

"What are you doing?"

I watched Minho grab another broom and started sweeping wordlessly. "I have soccer practice in half an hour, so we need to wrap this up quickly." 

Upon hearing that, Woohyun suddenly ran up to him. "I heard that we're going against that performing arts school?" "Yep," Minho nods, "tough final opponent I'd say."

"Well, sounds like it will be a good game to me." 

I quickly went back to clearing the dustbin when Woohyun called out my name. "Up for a soccer game this weekend?" I wave a dismissive hand, "I'll pass, thanks." 

They went on talking about the game, hands swiftly moving at the same time. Soon, the hallway is sqeaky clean, just like Mrs Woo wanted. 

"Finally!" I exclaimed happily after we put back the cleaning tools in the janitor's room. "How about sweet cold dessert to end the day?"

"Your treat, call!" I shot my bestfriend a dark look. 

Minho shakes his head, "Sorry, I need to get going for the practice. Maybe next time?" "Yeah, sure." Woohyun suddenly slings his arm around my shoulder, "Don't worry. If you win the game, Areum here will buy the whole ice cream store for you." 

"Then, I should really win the game," Minho smiles. "See you guys around." He then excused himself and I instantly pushed Woohyun's arm away.

"Is the dessert offer still on?" 

"Oh yes," I squint my eye at him. "Your treat." 

 


 

 a/n: Second chapter's up! Do comment and subscribe lovelies!