Act 1: Second Step

Progressive

It’s cold and he doesn’t know why he’s doing this, but he accompanies Hyesung hyung through the streets of Hongdae as the older man skims his eyes across the stores that line up the street.

He’s accompanying Hyesung hyung shopping (because none of the others are free at the moment of Hyesung hyung’s sudden urge to spend his money on things he probably doesn’t need) out in the cold wintry air. He wants to go home, but Hyesung hyung promised to treat him out to eat after this, so he braves through the cold with the goal of mooching off as much as he can from Hyesung hyung later.

Hyesung enters a clothing shop and Andy follows. The clothes aren’t quite Hyesung’s style, Andy notices. It’s too youthful, too boyish, for anyone their age. But Hyesung makes a beeline towards the bin set up near the front of the store and Andy realizes why he’s here.

“Towels,” Andy says in disbelief, “You go to a clothing store to buy towels?”

Hyesung laughs as he picks through the multi-colored, fluffy towels that fill the bin to the brim. “They have the kind of towels I like. I can’t find these anywhere else.”

Andy finds that hard to believe, but he says nothing as Hyesung piles the towels he wants to buy onto his arm—complaining about Eric always coming over and stealing his towels all the while—and Andy accompanies Hyesung as the young cashier rings up his purchases.

“What else do you need?” Andy inquires as they set off from the shop with a shopping bag filled with cream-colored towels.

Hyesung seems to ponder the question for a while, but answers, “Nothing really, I was thinking we could just walk around and enjoy the weather.”

Andy scoffs, there’s really nothing enjoyable about the cold biting into his skin even through his thick windbreaker. “You’re the one buying me food later.”

Hyesung smiles wryly. “Why do I have the feeling you’ll my wallet dry?”

“Because I will.”

Hyesung chuckles in amusement, bringing an arm to wrap around Andy and huddle them close together. “That’s our evil little maknae.”

Andy smiles as he lets Hyesung guide him from shop to shop. Sometimes Hyesung will pester him to buy something, other times Hyesung will be the one to buy him something. They laugh and joke around as they make the other try on ridiculous clothes, but judge each potentially buyable item with critical eyes. Small trinkets, funny hats or shirts—by the end of their shopping spree, Andy has as many bags in his hands as Hyesung does.

“So.” Hyesung huffs, out of breath, the smile still lingering on his face, “Where do you want to eat?”

Andy honestly doesn’t care where they eat, so he points to a random restaurant (a ramyeon shop, he later sees). “There’s good.”

Hyesung takes a short look at the shop in question and nods his head before herding Andy into the restaurant. The warm air of the interior flushes away Andy’s chill, and they both sit contently at the far end of the restaurant. It’s thankfully not crowded, and Andy just presses himself comfortably into his seat as the waitress hands them their menu.

“Order anything you want,” Hyesung says absently as he flips through the menu.

Andy doesn’t need to be told twice. He chooses the most expensive ones, and Hyesung knows this because he sends Andy a pointed stare. Andy grins and shrugs when the waitress had jotted down all their orders and struts off to tend to another table.

“You’re such a brat sometimes.”

Andy smiles sweetly. “But you love me anyways.”

Andy feels a soft kick on his shin and kicks right back in retaliation, his foot just barely nudging Hyesung’s leg. It’s this kind of playful scuffle that they like to indulge in—childish, fun, but harmless play fights. Andy likes it this way because with the others he has to get rough to keep up. But Hyesung hyung’s careful and prefers teasing to actual violence when he’s with Andy. And to be honest, Andy likes the special treatment.

“You know, this is the first time we’ve hung out in a while—just the two of us, I mean.”

Andy ponders what the older man said as he gently pushes Hyesung hyung’s foot with his. It’s true, he thinks. They rarely spend time together without the company of their fellow members. Even though Hyesung hyung remains one of his closest friends, Andy just can’t remember a time where they are alone with each other (except perhaps while gaming or chatting on the phone). It’s quiet without the others, but Andy’s not having any less fun.

“We should do this more often then.” Andy nods his head, as if to himself. “But I’m choosing where to go next time—any more of these shopping sprees and I think I might go bankrupt.”


A/N: I've actually finished quite a few chapters so I'll likely post one once per day until I run out of pre-written chapters. But don't worry! I'm writing more as we speak.