Act 1: Sixth Step

Progressive

Andy is at the hospital, just finished with a regular check-up and waiting to pay at the cashier when he sees him. Hyesung hyung sits alone in the waiting room, one leg crossed over the other; head ducked and eyes trained on his phone. Andy quickly finishes paying and makes his way to Hyesung hyung.

“Hey.”

Hyesung snaps up from his phone, and relaxes when he sees that it’s only Andy. Hyesung gives him a smile and Andy ignores the way his own lips curl up on its own accord. “Hey,” Hyesung says, “What are you doing here?”

“I had a check-up, nothing serious. You?”

“I’m going to check on my knees,” Hyesung says, a hand patting his topmost knee, “They’ve been bothering me a bit lately.”

Andy frowns. “They’ve been acting up?”

“Not that much. It’s just a bit uncomfortable sometimes,” Hyesung chuckles as he pats Andy’s arm, “Don’t frown so much, I’m fine.”

“I’m just worried about you hyung, you’re already an old man, after all.”

Andy does not miss the way Hyesung’s leg twitches and he backs away instinctively, hands held out in front of him in defense. Hyesung’s smile grows wider, cheekier, and he uncrosses his legs to nudge Andy’s own. “Cheeky brat, you’re not that much younger than me.”

Andy laughs, uncertain now that Hyesung’s legs are within range of kicking him. Oh well, at least he’s in a hospital.

Hyesung retracts his legs then, sighing, and Andy’s frown returns when he realizes how tired he looks. Andy’s keen eyes catches on to how Hyesung seems to subconsciously massage his knee with one hand, even as his mind looks to be miles away from the hospital waiting room. His knees must’ve really been bothering him for him to look so troubled. Andy makes a split-second decision and plops down on the sturdy plastic chair next to Hyesung.

“Andy?”

“If you’re still waiting then I’m going to wait here with you,” Andy says resolutely.

Hyesung casts him a wary glance. “You don’t have to…”

“Don’t worry, I want to.”

Hyesung opens his mouth, as if to protest, but Andy quickly shushes him with a wave of his hand. “Nothing you say will change my mind, I’m going to wait here with you.”

Unexpectedly, Hyesung starts to laugh—full-blown guffaws and snorts that attract the attention of everyone within earshot. Andy himself is too flabbergasted to be worried about the attention they’re garnering, but fortunately as soon as it starts it stops. Hyesung’s laughter dies down into quiet, breathy giggles that fill Andy with fluttering giddiness.

“You’re actually quite sweet when you’re not being a brat.”

Andy huffs, unamused. “Of course! If you haven’t been paying attention, being a gentleman is kind of my gimmick.”

“I know, I know, just,” Hyesung says, placating, but there’s no mistaking the teasing edge in his eyes, “I keep forgetting because you’re always so irritating when you’re not being cute.”

Andy bats his eyelashes. “Aww, you think I’m cute? Thanks, hyung, I know I am.”

Hyesung gives him a light punch on the shoulder, still smiling wide, “Why do I put up with you.”

“Because you love me?”

“I won’t love you so much if you keep teasing me all the time,” Hyesung scolds him. There’s no bite to his words and the smile on his face betrays his real thoughts, but Andy still pouts like a scolded child all the same.

“But hyung, I tease you because I love you,” Andy coos, voice dripping with sticky sweet aegyo that would’ve made anyone’s teeth ache, “You know I love you lots, right?”

That triggers another round of laughter from Hyesung, and this time Andy has the right mind to send apologetic smiles to anyone who looks their way. But, slight public embarrassment aside, Andy’s happy that Hyesung’s laughing so much. While it wasn’t exactly his intention, he’s happy enough that he can make Hyesung forget about his pain even if it’s just for a while. Andy pats Hyesung on the back as the older man tries to regain his breath.

“Ow, my stomach,” Hyesung wheezes, smiling from ear to ear, “What the hell was that? It was so gross.”

“But hyung said he won’t love me anymore…”

“I didn’t say that—and would you stop it with that voice? It’s starting to give me goosebumps.”

Andy smiles instead of responding, and that earns him a light whack on the head. They sit in silence for a while, Hyesung’s breath growing steadier and steadier over time as they both relax and enjoy the moment together. It’s when he feels Hyesung lean towards him that Andy suddenly notices that their hands are touching on the armrest, and he doesn’t know why his hand becomes sweaty at the thought.

“Hey, Sunho—”

“Patient Jung Pilgyo. The doctor will see you now.”

The announcement cuts off whatever it was that Hyesung was about to say, and he immediately stands up, knees almost buckling at the clumsy attempt. Andy is at his side and righting him up within seconds, his face contorted with worry when he hears Hyesung’s groan of pain.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine,” Hyesung says a moment later, ruffling Andy’s hair with a reassuring smile, “You can go home now, Sunho, I’ll be fine on my own.”

“Are you sure?”

“Absolutely. I’ll be going straight home after this anyhow.”

Andy doesn’t feel sure that Hyesung will be fine on his own, but he supposes that he has to trust his hyung to be fine. “If you say so, hyung…”

Hyesung brings Andy in for a quick hug, his cheek touching Andy’s for a split second before they part. Andy’s heart thumps loudly at the short, yet meaningful, contact.

“Bye Sunho. Oh, and, uh, thanks for making me laugh earlier. I really appreciate it.”

“Patient Jung Pilgyo—”

“Oh shoot—I’m coming!”

Hyesung toddles off then, leaving a silent Andy in his wake. Andy puts a hand above his heart and feels it flutter against his palm. The fast and irregular thump, thump, thump resounding from the skin of his hand. Andy’s final thoughts before heading off home is: What is going on with me?


A/N: This is starting to become cheesy so I think I'll finish Act 1 with this chapter before this story starts sounding like a romcom. Yaaaayyy! One act down! :D I'm going to post an important author's message later so be sure to read that when it's out! Also, can you imagine sitting in the hospital and you see two near middle-aged men acting silly with each other? I'd probably laugh.